Varnish Cleaning inside DRZ Plastic Gas Tank

Have a gas tank from a 2001 E model.  A 2001 with 200 miles on it and has sat for a long time.  Got it running just fine, but I used the tank from my DRZ (a different DRZ) to supply the fuel.

This tank needs a new petcock and gas cap (I have them in my parts cabinet).  The inside of the plastic tank is full of shiny varnish with black crap, and alot of gunk at the bottom.

What chemical(s) can I use that will remove the varnish and crap without hurting the plastic that the gas tank is made out of?

Edited by Sundog

1 minute ago, Padilen said:

Maybe just add a in line filter and run gas loaded with seafoam?

Yeah...there is enough in there that I would prefer not having to change out tiny in-line filters like a pez dispenser with a 5 yr old. 

• Like 2

Hot water and dish soap, fill, shake, pour, rinse, and repeat... Works magic. 

Really if that works it would be cheap and safe! I'll be trying that the next time I have shellac

Probably all of the above works.  Also vinegar soak for a few weeks. White vinegar is pretty cheap at COSTO.  Also removes rust from steel tanks with a little added scrubbing.  I imagine MEK would work much faster to remove the fuel varnish.

• Like 1

Be careful of MEK, test on a small inconspicuous area before use.  Some solvents work too good.

• Like 2

I had nasty gunk in the bottom of mine when I brought the bike out after a few years of sitting.  I ended up pressure washing it with pretty much just straight water (maybe a little degreaser too).  Worked surprisingly well.  I had probably a gallon or so of fuel that dried to a half inch layer of sticky tar shit in the bottom of my tank.  Looks brand new now.

• Like 1