Case saver rubbing chain

Anyone have a hammerhead case saver on their RM-Z450? I just installed one and made sure there was clearance but only like 2mm. It doesn't make noise while rolling in neutral or while on the throttle but you do hear a faint rattle when I stand up to ride and let off the throttle. Here are some pictures. Is my chain ok or do I need a new one and replace my case saver? Thanks

IMG_4095.thumb.jpg.a84f242abbedc3cd2acc682bbcc11729.jpg

IMG_4104.thumb.jpg.a625a69a81e43463cbab45b66ccf9958.jpgIMG_4115.jpg.e990fc6eb22982eb3eb75498de88d610.jpgIMG_4110.thumb.jpg.f8d037d4c4ce14208d1a5d98445ab300.jpg

As you can see it barley touches it at times because there is only a little scratch on the case saver. But don't know if this can cause it to snap or is dangerous or if I should just let it completely groove itself out then replace the chain?

Also the case savers inside edge sits directly in the middle of the chain is this normal or is it supposed to cover the whole width of the chain? Like do I need a spacer to move the sprocket out a little more?

Also how far into the chain rubbing block on the swingarm can the chain go before I need to replace it?

Thanks again guys

Sorry I didn't wash the bike before I took the pictures

All that black dust seems to have come from the chain and case saver.

what else is wearing the chain ?
chain slider worn ?
that master link clip is going to pop off soon

I’m not sure that’s why I’m asking for help. So that master link is worn too? Is the chain not safe? I posted a picture of the chain slider by the front sprocket unless you mean the one on the bottom of the rear sprocket? I’m not sure what they are called but I’ll check. But do you guys think the case saver is fine? Most importantly is the chain safe? Or does it need to be replaced immediately? Thanks

if the chain hasnt chewed its way thru the plastic yet - its ok - what about the front slider ?
the master link clip hasnt full seated in the link pin groove

IMG_1506305444.711147.jpgIMG_1506305470.242682.jpg
This is the front slider. Both front and rear still have plastic.
I don’t know what you mean by “master link hasn’t full seated link pin groove”?

use vice grips and try to squeeze the pin thru so the link can drop into the groove

or use a proper chain link tool

Ok I will try that thanks again

I might just get a new chain and master link to be safe probably new chain sliders too and hopefully chain won’t get rubbed flat again. I don’t know what’s doing it, it barley hits the case saver and only hits in one spot and the whole chain looks evenly flattened out and I don’t remember exactly but I think it’s rounded off when new and mine is flat on tips. Maybe I need to take it somewhere to have it looked at and see if they can tell me if it’s bad or not and if the chain is on wrong if the case saver is not lined up over the chain or if that’s the way it’s supposed to be

• Like 1

It also looks like you may have some adjustment room on your hammerhead guard. If the mounting holes are oval (like what appears in this pic), can you loosen your top bolt, and move the guard a couple more millimeters away from the sprocket?

IMG_7098.jpg.63e1a88448594e9d279c72ac1dc9c3a1.jpg

Hey thanks you were right! I don’t know how I overlooked such a simple fix! If y’all couldn’t tell I’m kinda stupid and know nothing but am really trying to learn. I was able to move the top and bottom one IMG_1506360884.728571.jpg
IMG_1506360949.059953.jpgIMG_1506360975.208628.jpg
Way more clearance now

But now just wondering if my chain is compromised or if I can still use it? I’d hate to spend money getting new sprockets and chain if I don’t need too but maybe should just to be safe?

Also still trying to figure out if my front sprocket is too far inside? I feel like the case saver is only covering half the chain width and is right behind the case threads for the case saver and would still hit the case? IMG_1506361227.067804.jpg
  • Like 1

use vice grips and try to squeeze the pin thru so the link can drop into the groove
or use a proper chain link tool

IMG_1506715679.391407.jpgIMG_1506715696.850676.jpg
Does this look any better?
So the clip was in fact in the grooves it just didn’t look like it cuz as you can see the top side of the pins are worn out to 45° angle on the top but still good on the bottom. I took the master link off and put it back on and made sure the clip is in the grooves. But the actual clip itself seems a little spread out on the open side, I’ve tried to pinch it shut as best I could. Does it look ok or am I pushing my luck and should just get at very least a new master link?

I also took my chain off and tested for chain wear and the chain seems fine. It doesn’t bend sideways barley, no kinks or week pins, and it doesn’t budge off any of the rear sprocket teeth. So other than the master link clip and the top of the chain flattened a little bit it seems fine? What do you think?

The chain and sprockets only less than 20 hours on it

Get a new master link and clip... cheap insurance. 

Yea I just realized how cheap, I didn’t know they were less than $5! My local shop has a few and I will pick one up first thing on the morning. Hopefully they can reassure me my chain itself is fine while I’m there with my bike. They seem to be pretty good people so hopefully they don’t try to up sell me on a whole new chain too if I don’t need one. But I probably will buy one if they say so.

Just now, DirtMcGurts420 said:

Yea I just realized how cheap, I didn’t know they were less than $5! My local shop has a few and I will pick one up first thing on the morning. Hopefully they can reassure me my chain itself is fine while I’m there with my bike. They seem to be pretty good people so hopefully they don’t try to up sell me on a whole new chain too if I don’t need one. But I probably will buy one if they say so.

Sounds like you tested the chain... I wouldn't sweat that. Master link looks beat and the clip is sketchy. Buy one for the chain and a second for the toolbox. 

• Like 1