Crf450rx how to wash it?

I just got a bran new '17 rx and when I got it home I realised that the airbox and air filter is completely open on the sides?? My other bike is a crf250x and the air box is enclosed. I can spray it down with a hose after a ride and not get any water in the box. How do you guys clean this thing!? Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks!

TwinAir makes a plastic cover that you install after you remove the seat and then the air filter. You shouldn't really soak Honda seats as the foam is open-cell so it retains water and generally gets nasty, best to keep it dry.

• Like 2

Tape.or replace air filter after washing. I run maxima ready to use pre-oiled filters .Change every ride = long engine life .

• Like 2

I poke an old white plastic shopping bag into each of the openings around the airbox when washing the bike,  It is wise to not spray water directly at your electrical switches, kill switch etc.  

For regular riding, I also run a piece of open cell foam in the vent opening at  the bottom of the air box all the time, it stops splashing water and chunks of mud from getting at the bottom of the air filter, but still allows water to flow out (which is why it is there in the first place).

On 9/24/2017 at 7:49 AM, Eddie8v said:

TwinAir makes a plastic cover that you install after you remove the seat and then the air filter. You shouldn't really soak Honda seats as the foam is open-cell so it retains water and generally gets nasty, best to keep it dry.

^^^^^^^ This.  Plug the mufflers and wash it. Afterwards, clean out the airbox with the filter cover in place then remove it and install a cleaned/oiled air filter. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2017 at 7:49 AM, Eddie8v said:

https://www.amazon.com/Twin-Air-Airbox-Cover-160112/dp/B0725FJFVL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506364579&sr=8-1&keywords=160112

• Like 2

On 9/24/2017 at 4:49 AM, Eddie8v said:

NoToil has one too. I remove the seat and filter, install the plastic cover, plug the exhausts and wash the bike. Makes it easy to get the airbox clean!