YZ250 Trail Bike Build Suggestions?

Have a project bike I am building up and it is a fresh start. I ride trails and love 4 strokes. But I got a yz250 at an insane deal. I know 2 strokes have MASSIVE amounts of upper power in the engines. I want the bike to stay on the front wheel and put power to the ground to get up hillclimbs, etc and when i get on it in the trails. I need some suggestions to basically "tame" it down.

My plans so far:

- 12oz flywheel weight

- Oversized tank

- Oversized radiators

- 18" rear wheel

- Electric Start kit\

- Full FMF Fatty/Powercore 2

- Also plan to powder coat the frame, swingarm, subframe black and wheel black/yz blue hubs. 2016 plastics kit. 

1 hour ago, done_did_it said:

Have a project bike I am building up and it is a fresh start. I ride trails and love 4 strokes. But I got a yz250 at an insane deal. I know 2 strokes have MASSIVE amounts of upper power in the engines. I want the bike to stay on the front wheel and put power to the ground to get up hillclimbs, etc and when i get on it in the trails. I need some suggestions to basically "tame" it down.

My plans so far:

- 12oz flywheel weight 8oz will work fine

- Oversized tank IMS ZIP TY is the best IMO

- Oversized radiators Not really needed

- 18" rear wheel Helps with a taller sidewall for pinch flats and choices of tires.

- Electric Start kit\ I have seen them in photos, but why? A yz is so easy to start.

- Full FMF Fatty/Powercore 2 I would go stock chamber and Turb II. Stock gives you equal power through the whole range, Turb II if you need a sparky

- Also plan to powder coat the frame, swingarm, subframe black and wheel black/yz blue hubs. 2016 plastics kit. Don't let KDX know, he thinks painting is the only way to go. 

WR transmission and a Rekluse would be my big envestments to keep wheel spin and front end down. 

• Like 1

What year?

For anything '99 and up, add a flywheel weight, maybe retard the timing and go riding.

My plans so far:
- 12oz flywheel weight
- Oversized tank
- Oversized radiators
- 18" rear wheel
- Electric Start kit\
- Full FMF Fatty/Powercore 2
- Also plan to powder coat the frame, swingarm, subframe black and wheel black/yz blue hubs. 2016 plastics kit. 

None of this would tame it down much. Read up on the Converting to 250X motor post. You want to think along lines of lower compression head, CDI, power valve. The blue hubs for sure won't make a difference on the trail!

G2 throttle tamer... Revalve and spring suspension for off-road....and go with the Gnarly pipe and TC2 vs the fatty unless you already have it.

I had everything you list and more done to my 05 yz250, as good as it was the Yz250x is better..   Like C-P suggests I would look at the X CDI and head or have a YZ head cut....

But you certainly won't be in bad shape with what you have listed.  Sometimes I miss the hard hit of my old YZ250...