350 SXF/XCF Owners - Describe Power Please

Can all you 350 owners, both SXF and XCF (primarily interested in SXF) owners please describe the power character to me please. I am a 250f owner ('15 yz250f) who recently purchased a '17 CRF450R and it was way to much power for my liking. I hate feeling like a bike is riding me because it is so fast which is how I felt on the honda. The bottom end hit was way to much and I constantly felt I could whiskey off the track. Just want to make sure the 350 wouldn't be to fast for my liking. 

If I do get a 350 SXF I'm looking at a throttle tamer tube by G2 to smooth out the on/off power character these new EFI bikes have. Just hoping its not going to be to much. 

I just want to some input on power compared a 250f and a 450. Also, I had '14 250 sx 2 stroke in the past and the power didn't feel uncontrollable like I felt on the 450. 

I'm 190 lbs, 5'11, ride primarily MX, and am intermediate level. 

A 350 is more like a powerful 250f. The motor characteristics are pretty much identical, but with the 350 having just that much more. The more is incredibly smooth and linear with no abrupt changes in the power anywhere along the curve. I came off a 15 250FX prior to my 350 and a 15 YZ450F prior to my FX. The 350 is literally the mama bear of motorcycles IMO. That being said, my 250FX had a little more grunt off idle but soon afterwards the 350 gets the power down and rolls past. I do find the 350 takes a bit of a learning curve to ride as you can't grunt it around like a 450 (doesn't have the torque) or rev it out like a 250f (wayyy too powerful up top). But once you figure out how 'you' want to ride it, it's stupidly effective... I'm a little bit bigger (195lbs), same height and an expert offroad guy, intermediate track rider and the 350 is about as best you're going to get... 

• Like 1

Agree with monk. I don't have much experience with 250fs or 450s. Been riding 21 years and have been a strict two stroke guy. Have a 250sx and 17 fc350. 350 powerband is similar to my 250 but in 3rd gear it just keeps pulling. Forever. I'm going up at tooth in the rear to be able to use 3rd in the turns easier and then I don't think I'll ever shift again haha. Super smooth powerband and can ride it all day long. I just don't get tired anymore from riding the bike like I do with 250 2t. Buddies with 450s do say that they are a a lot to handle halfway through a moto. Pumped on the 350 couldn't ask for a better powerband.

• Like 2

I too went from a 2t to a 350sxf and I really like the powerband. I think it is the most similar 4t to a 2t, but with more grunt  at the bottom.  I like that it revs to very high places when needed; on the track I don't use the clutch near as much but can just keep adding throttle.  I also like that, unlike my buddy's 450, the bottom end comes on super smooth and not just on or off.   Other than suspension work( I'm 225lbs), a FMF pipe and comparable mapping, it lugs me around quite well with little mod and feels much lighter than a 450; I know its not it just feels like that to me.  It is definitely more than 250f, but you would not be switching if you did not want more speed and power right?   

I think you'll be happy with the 350 power.  It has plenty of power in the high RPM's but unlike a 450, it won't make you feel like it is going to whiskey throttle out from under you.  I went from 450 to a 300 two stroke and now to the 350.  The 350 is the perfect power if you ask me.  It won't slow you down but still won't wear you out.  Plus getting the power characteristics you want is a simple sprocket change away.  They come with two throttle settings so you probably won't need a tamer.  The map switch is nice too.  Helps adjust to different conditions and also helps when you are tired to tame it down.  I rode a buddy's CRF450RX and I know exactly what you mean.  Coming out of the first corner I pulled a wheelie without expecting it.

• Like 1

Sounds good guys. I def like a smooth bottom to mid so it sounds like this bike has that. It makes cornering so much easier for me without the front end push and constantly trying to pop out of a rut like with a 450 then instant you get on throttle. The funny thing is, I used to primarily be a 450 rider but they just seem so fast off the bottom now and so instant. Maybe I've been out of the 450 game so long I forgot. My most recent bikes were: 2002 cr250r, 2005 CRF450r, 2009 KX450f, 2012 KX250f, 2014 KTM250sx, 2015yz250f. So as you can see, I've had a wide range of power bands from many different bikes. The 250f's were my faves out of the bunch. They 250 sx 2 stroke was fun but hard to ride compared to 4 strokes and that 4cs held that bike back so much it was hard to judge just how good it could have been. Just needing a bit more than the 250f for starts and deeper conditions, so hopefully the 350 will meet my needs without being to much. I can deal with the big top end because I don't see that getting me in trouble like the stupid instantaneous power that 17 CRF had off bottom. 

• Like 1

Keep in mind also that a 450sxf power will be different than that crf450r.  You can also tame them down a bit and the newer 450s have multiple maps and traction control on the bars.  I am not saying to pass on a 350, i am just saying that all 450s are a bit different.  My rmz450(07) had less power than my ktms but had a hit that would unsettle it.  My KTM 450s have such a usable powerband.  

Also keep in mind there are some other flavors of 350.  the xcf and sxf are pretty close but there is also a W model(newer only an exc) but they are so light now that an exc(or older xcwf) with the lights off could give you a different experience.  Best bet is to ride on if you can.  The only reason i would shy away from a 350(being 200lbs) is the same reason i got rid of my 250f.  I like the lower end grunt and pull of the 450 rather than riding it in the higher rpm of the smaller bore.

I've been happy w mine (350xcf). I think it's exactly what it is. More than a 250 and not quite a 450. Kinda shares some character from each. I wanted a 450 for the track and a 250 for the trails. For what I race, 3hr hare scramble and enduros I like it. 

• Like 2

Just got a new FC350. It is the easiest bike to go fast on, that I've probably ever ridden. It is so smooth that you really don't realize how fast it is going. I also have the same YZ250F that you are coming from. The thing about the 350 that I don't think makes it feel like a 250F is that YZF revs incredibly fast. The 350 does not rev nearly as fast (but not as slow as a 450), so it might feel a tad lazy down low, if you aren't aggressive with it. But do not ride it a gear high or try to lug it and it is an amazing powercurve. It feels like it will pull forever.  And you do not get tired. Plus, as a bonus, it corners so effortlessly and feels light in turns and in the air. By the sounds of it, I think you would have no problem adjusting to a new 350. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ah665 said:

Just got a new FC350. It is the easiest bike to go fast on, that I've probably ever ridden. It is so smooth that you really don't realize how fast it is going. I also have the same YZ250F that you are coming from. The thing about the 350 that I don't think makes it feel like a 250F is that YZF revs incredibly fast. The 350 does not rev nearly as fast (but not as slow as a 450), so it might feel a tad lazy down low, if you aren't aggressive with it. But do not ride it a gear high or try to lug it and it is an amazing powercurve. It feels like it will pull forever.  And you do not get tired. Plus, as a bonus, it corners so effortlessly and feels light in turns and in the air. By the sounds of it, I think you would have no problem adjusting to a new 350. 

Thanks for the input. How do you like the suspension compared to your yzf? The '15 yz250f has been my fave bike of all time and I'm looking forward to seeing what the '18 250f has in store but if I keep my '15 for another season it's gonna cost me a complete bottom and top end rebuild which I don't want to do. It's gonna be hard to top the yz but maybe the 350 will wow me lol. 

1 hour ago, Salt n Pepper said:

Thanks for the input. How do you like the suspension compared to your yzf? The '15 yz250f has been my fave bike of all time and I'm looking forward to seeing what the '18 250f has in store but if I keep my '15 for another season it's gonna cost me a complete bottom and top end rebuild which I don't want to do. It's gonna be hard to top the yz but maybe the 350 will wow me lol. 

I think the suspension is surprisingly good. I love the Yami stuff and i still feel super comfortable on it, but the new 350s suspension is really good. Ill need more time on it to really see where i can get it but just a day of riding, i had it to where i felt comfortable (ended up close to mxa suggestions. Dealer settings were bad). The 18 yz250f is unchanged, as the new model should be for 19. I think you would be surprised how ridable a 350 is, compared to the 450. I myself expected it to be more of a handful. But dont mistake that for slow, as the bike is very fast, just does it effortlessly. 

46 minutes ago, 4Sevens said:

The suspension is not going to be up to your standards.  I just had a full KYB conversion done on my 350.  Suspension is the Achilles heel on the 350 and many KTM's.

Are you talking a 350 with 4cs or AER? If you mean AER, then id disagree. Yes, it feels different but 'not up to standards' is a bit much. I mean, maybe for you but i cant see that being the norm, honestly. To each their own. The switch to the AER fork was the last step, putting that bike over the top for me to seriously consider. Suspension is up to par now, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I meant the '19 yz250f. All I've heard about the AER is good and light years above the 4cs.

Thanks for the input. Any other opinions? 

The 18 aer on the 250sx is one of the best forks I have ridden

I love the Aer on my 350 and for now have no plans of getting a revalve. 142 psi, set it once in the morning, good to go all day.

• Like 1

Has anyone had the chance to ride both the 250sxf and the 350sxf 17-18 models? How is the 350sxf power compared to the 250sxf?

Seems the reviews of the 250sxf are that it has a really strong motor that likes to stay in the upper RPM's.  

It has decent bottom end it just needs gearing for tighter riding

• Like 1

On 9/29/2017 at 5:06 PM, ah665 said:

I think the suspension is surprisingly good. I love the Yami stuff and i still feel super comfortable on it, but the new 350s suspension is really good. Ill need more time on it to really see where i can get it but just a day of riding, i had it to where i felt comfortable (ended up close to mxa suggestions. Dealer settings were bad). The 18 yz250f is unchanged, as the new model should be for 19. I think you would be surprised how ridable a 350 is, compared to the 450. I myself expected it to be more of a handful. But dont mistake that for slow, as the bike is very fast, just does it effortlessly. 

Are you talking a 350 with 4cs or AER? If you mean AER, then id disagree. Yes, it feels different but 'not up to standards' is a bit much. I mean, maybe for you but i cant see that being the norm, honestly. To each their own. The switch to the AER fork was the last step, putting that bike over the top for me to seriously consider. Suspension is up to par now, in my opinion.

I only have experience with the 4CS.  I have heard good things about the new AER.  In fact, a guy on a bone stock 450XC with AER won the overall at a gnarly race this last weekend. That speaks volumes!