Help with my rmz450

I was riding my 2005 rmz450 last weekend. While on the trail it acted like it wanted to die but you could open the throttle up and it would run better.  I bring it home wash it off really good and put it away. Got on it Friday to ride and it would not start I even tried roll starting it. After reading on here I take and look at timing. First thing I did was take cover off and check timing. I use a straw in the spark plug hole to find the stroke just before the piston goes back down. Did I find tdc doing it This way. After doing this I look at timing marks and they are off exhaust was not in 12 and 9 clock position and intake was not aligning up with 12 and 3. Keep in mind my timing chain was very loose. Did this cause it to jump time? Also on checking my valves with feeler gauges do they need to be on the low end of spec to be good or high spec. This is my first time trying to time a four stroke. Can I private message one of you my number and text each other to see if I've done it correct I could also send pics via text thanks everyone. Sorry if these questions sound crazy I just wanna learn to repair my own stuff. The money I could save would eventually spent for ungraded and riding gear. 

I had an 06 (same basic motor) back in the day. Sounds like your cam chain tensioner failed. That is the reason it jumped time. Hopefully the piston didn't run into a valve and bend it.

Replace the tensioner, get it in time and do a compression/leak down test.

You're better off to be on the small side of the range with valve clearance. It's easier on the valves. If they are in spec don't worry about it. Adjusting valves isn't routine maintenance. When they begin going out of specification it is time to plan a valve job.

Most likely the tensioner. Mine failed, so have tons of other sad Suzuki owners that purchased the early model 4 strokes with their crappy manual adjusting "auto" tensioners. Buy a manual cam chain adjuster, like PSR or Tokyo, and never worry about it again! Trust me, this will be the best protection for that engine for under $60. Now is the time to buy one...you should have had one anyway but it's not very common knowledge.

fyi: Adjusting valves is routine maintenance. 

fyi: Adjusting valves is routine maintenance. 

Like hell it is. It might be routine if you ride a clapped out roach. Once the hard coating wears, the valves cup, and the seats start taking a pounding, you are running on borrowed time.

Valve checks are routine maintenance.

Finding you actually have to reshim is not a good thing.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2017 at 4:15 PM, ohiodrz400sm said:

Like hell it is. It might be routine if you ride a clapped out roach. Once the hard coating wears, the valves cup, and the seats start taking a pounding, you are running on borrowed time.

Valve checks are routine maintenance.

Finding you actually have to reshim is not a good thing.

Well, having to adjust the valves often isn't routine maintenance. Checking that the valves are in-spec is.  Having to shim valves once a year is considered normal or routine.

• Like 1