First Time Dirtbike Rider

Hi, I'm a 14 year old 120 pound freshman and I'm looking to start riding dirtbikes, I've ridden ATV's all my life and know that dirtbikes are much different. Most of my friends have one and I'm one of the odd ones out, they just seem really fun to me. Unfortunately, I don't know how to start riding one. I'm thinking of getting a used YZ85 and learning on it, but is there some place I could go and ride or rent one? I don't want to use my friends because I know I'm going to wreck. Any kind of recommendations? Thank you!

Can you ride a bicycle? If so follow these steps;

1. GET A MOTORCYCLE at least a 125

2. GET OUT AND RIDE start slow

3. RIDE MORE once you get a feel for the motorcycle you can go a bit faster 

4. RIDE MORE one thing that got my attention was to watch Stepelchase (sp) horse races and how the jockie rode the horse

5. RIDE MORE remember when you smile you can end up with a bug in your mouth

Good Luck and enjoy 2 wheels

Michael

An MX bike like YZ85, KX85, KX100, KTM 85/105, RM85, CR85 really arent a good place to start or learn.  They are very very fast.  My suggestion would be to start with a trail bike like CRF150F, CRF125L, TTR-125LE, KLX140L, DRZ-125L etc and learn the basics.  Once you are outriding the brakes, suspension and engine power, it might be time to move to a two stroke MX bike like those that I mentioned werent a good place to start.  The aircooled trail bikes would not be very good for track riding.