Yamaha XT600 or smaller XT

Hi there, I'm new to Thumpertalk and to motorcycles. I am looking to get a dual sport as my first bike to learn on. I am a 5'5" woman, with a a 31" inch inseam and I was looking at the 1990's and 80's Yamaha XT's. I really like dual sports but it seems like all the older 1990's and 80's are all kick start. How hard is it to kick start an XT600? the bigger the engine size the harder it probably is to kick start it. Do you guys think a Yamaha XT would be a good starter dual sport or do you have any suggestions on another beginner dual sport? Thanks

Do forget the TW200. Fat tires( more stable) low seat hight. And models all have electric start, older models have both kick and electric. They carry their weight low so they do not have a top heavy feeling, as some dual sports do.

An XT600 is a fairly large motorcycle and would be a poor choice as a starter bike even for a bigger person. A good 1st bike for you would be in the 200 to 250cc range, lots to choose from. A gal I know has had a Suzuki DR200 for many years and loves it

• Like 1

Yes but if you start small and enjoy riding instead if dreading it you'll move up to a big bike. And the bikes suggest hold there value well. I've been riding since I was young. Im 56 & female & short. Age, height, and health got me, so I got me a TW200, in 2014. It's slow and our speed limits have been raised. In doing better lately health wise too. So I'm currently looking for a 400-650. But I'm keeping my TW. If I find it's too much I still will have tried, and will still have my TW.

• Like 2

If you've never owned a bike why are you looking at bikes from the 80's that'll likely require work and are outdated?

I would recommend getting in touch with your local dirt / dual sport MC club and tell them your situation, they likely would be more than happy to have you come out and sit on a few different bikes so you can see what suites your frame, etc.

I have a 1976 Honda cb360T but it's more of a project bike. I really like the 80-90's and they seem to be a bit cheaper than the newer ones in my price range. Thanks for all the suggestions though!

At this time of year you can likely pick up a Rebel or a Virago 250 on the cheap. They are both an excellent bike to learn on, really easy to ride. They are in your price range for sure. Once you've learned to ride you will 100% be able to sell it for what you paid. There is ALWAYS someone looking to teach their girlfriend to ride, selling it is pretty easy.

59cf330117881_2016-Honda-Rebel250.jpg.b2bab2da11269efd6e1ad27dd577cb49.jpg59cf33019bf62_YamahaXV250Virago.jpg.ae4c77e3520f668a44d1ceed31ded24b.jpg

Then save up a bit money and with what you get back from the sale buy a newer model, low k good condition XT250. They can be found as low as $2500 if your patient and wait for the right one. It's a super reliable, light and easy to ride dual sport.

2012-Yamaha-XT250d.jpg.32e12c947157ca60cf5864392cc4cd99.jpgYAMAHA-XT250-5969_1.jpg.a4c5d14fb8c958ceed30b3673afa8185.jpg