Show me your hauler/camper ready for Potholes, washboards, switchback's..

Hey everyone..

I sold my big toyhauler and 2wd tow rig because I want to go further up the fire service roads in Colorado to get away from the campgrounds..  As a bench mark, I would be happy to be able to tow my camper and gear over Cumberland Pass from pitkin..   Im thinking a short <24' lifted gooseneck camper pulled by a 4x4 truck would turn tight enough to make the switchbacks..  But I'm not sure if that's the route I want to pursue.. 

Show me your hauler/camper ready for Potholes, washboards, switchback's please..

Not familiar with that specific route, but seriously rough/rocky and washboard road will destroy any camper/trailer unless you drive <1mph and air down.

• Like 1

I've bent the jacks slightly, but otherwise works well.

No pics in action, I'm focused on avoiding bent jacks and such.

Had a 4WD class B MH but this seems to work better for me.

24' trailer, no way I think.

0211170849.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BlackBuzzard said:

Not familiar with that specific route, but seriously rough/rocky and washboard road will destroy any camper/trailer unless you drive <1mph and air down.

Dont know about North America, but offroad campers are a whole market segment in the caravanning world here. Their popularity is growing too.

Only problem with them is the cost.

4db77e5904f18f6f9a8bb1365bab5cc5.jpg

325px-tvan-off-road-camping-trailer.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/24/2017 at 11:27 PM, Flagstaff said:

I've bent the jacks slightly, but otherwise works well.

No pics in action, I'm focused on avoiding bent jacks and such.

Had a 4WD class B MH but this seems to work better for me.

24' trailer, no way I think.

Thanks Flagstaff and nice setup you have there.

When you say you used to have a 4WD class B MotorHome but traded it for a truck camper..  I need to pay attention but I have to ask why.?  They are different, but similar in size.   Do you remove the camper at uneven camp site's and is that why the jacks are suffering a little? Or bump into branch's?   I imagine your jacks are at the 102" max width allowed.   Yes 24' isn't small but when I scroll to 6:30 and 8:14 on this video..  It looks doable.  I just need 4wd, air down and 1st gear slow.

Edited by rebar
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, rebar said:

Thanks Flagstaff and nice setup you have there.

When you say you used to have a 4WD class B MotorHome but traded it for a truck camper..  I need to pay attention but I have to ask why.?  They are different, but similar in size.   Do you remove the camper at uneven camp site's and is that why the jacks are suffering a little? Or bump into branch's?   I imagine your jacks are at the 102" max width allowed.   Yes 24' isn't small but when I scroll to 6:30 and 8:14 on this video..  It looks doable.  I just need 4wd, air down and 1st gear slow.

The class B worked well but I decided it wasn't worth the money tied up in it as well as the extra maintenance for something used only occasionally. Actually I only trailer a bike in the winter, heading south, the Coconino NF is out my back door.

Camper stays on the truck, I level with stacked wood blocks. The truck is a Dodge Dakota and the camper was made for '90's era small trucks. I actually extended the jacks to fit, they barely clear the truck and the whole thing is pretty narrow. The trailer is narrow also, 4.5' bed. The rear jacks can drag on the ground in certain circumstances like those requiring 4WD low. (Without the trailer.)

I'm thinking of getting a full size truck and camper with more amenities. The wife and I are both getting older, she's retired and I likely will by the end of the year.

Compromises.

• Like 1

A friend gave me some great advice once, compromise is never ever a good decision while in retirement. It is all you have left, go for it while you can. Every single day, every single trip may be your last.

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

A friend gave me some great advice once, compromise is never ever a good decision while in retirement. It is all you have left, go for it while you can. Every single day, every single trip may be your last.

No single setup works perfectly in all circumstances, even on the same trip.

Kinda like dirt bikes. :excuseme: 

• Like 1

Would you consider sleeping in your rig? SUV goes almost anywhere. You can add a front hitch hauler for about $250 and carry a bike on the front and rear. This is my camping rig, but you sound like you need/want more. I sleep in the bed, which is full queen size, using a memory foam mattress. All my stuff goes in clear plastic waterproof boxes. I unload them beside the truck before lights out.

My-Camping-Rig.jpg.08111917ae273ab9dadd997792a5595c.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LSHD said:

Would you consider sleeping in your rig? SUV goes almost anywhere. You can add a front hitch hauler for about $250 and carry a bike on the front and rear. This is my camping rig, but you sound like you need/want more. I sleep in the bed, which is full queen size, using a memory foam mattress. All my stuff goes in clear plastic waterproof boxes. I unload them beside the truck before lights out.

Do you just sleep sitting up? I tried sleeping in my Samurai but I just wasnt able to.

Gets too hot and I really struggle sleeping sitting. Would probably have to look into a roof top tent. my draws and cargo barrier prevent me just folding the seats and throwing my camp mattress in.

Yes, that is a CR125 stashed away.

20170507_143828.jpg.aab7cc60ec08511b271f852a485ee65d.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/26/2017 at 8:41 PM, LSHD said:

No, I don't think a 1/2 ton suv would be enough, unless I was alone or towed a trailer LSHD.   Iv been spoiled by the amenities my 24' toyhauler offered and need to replace those in a smaller package I can truck further up the mountain.. Like a outdoor shower tent and 100 gallons of water and heater.   5 gal Bucket toilet with sawdust.  Some kind of cooking setup, but most of my cooking consists of reheating cooked food in a microwave or my morning oatmeal. But I gotta have my stuff like zero gravity chairs, big refrigerator,  a Oztent, tools, generator..  A 1/2 ton wont haul all that stuff without a trailer.

I'm leaning towards a bumper pull 18' 10K flatbed trailer..   Then put a cheap truck camper (or some kind of enclosure) on the front half, with room for a couple of bikes on the back.  I think a 7' wide tilt deckover might be the best because the wheels don't stick out (engineered rock/tree rail) and it already lifted for the washed out gullies Im sure to encounter.  Finding a reasonable used one will be the tough part and probably settle for the more common "low boy" but with no beaver tail and recessed lights and hopefully drive over fenders. 

On 9/24/2017 at 6:53 PM, BlackBuzzard said:

These make a HUGE difference. They're made by MORyde Get the shackle kit too which replaces the worthless nylon bushings with oilite bushings and greasable through bolts.

tires_suspension_composit_med.png

I have a 23' Winnebago Warrior MH I put bike carriers front and rear, raised it a couple of inches with air bags and installed a limited slip differential. I've taken it places I think I really shouldn't have. :) 

• Like 1