Jump to content

Dirt bike to supermoto

Recommended Posts

Need info on converting dirt bike to supermoto,specifically gearing front and back, damping tuning, and whatever needs to be ideal for street/hwy riding. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Joshua Taylor said:

Need info on converting dirt bike to supermoto,specifically gearing front and back, damping tuning, and whatever needs to be ideal for street/hwy riding. Thanks

as far as gearing figure out ur fastest cruising speed , and gear it so the motor doesnt have to scream at those speeds, like my kx250f tops at about 68mph , well if i had to cruise at 60-65 mph id swap the 13/50 gearing for something like a 14/45 or whatever worked best after i figured out the math, also gota see whats available for your bike , on mine the smallest rear sprocket i can get is a 45 , not even sure i can get a 14 for the front 

if the fastest i had to cruise at was 45mph id prolly leave it alone , or maybe just drop a couple teeth off the rear sprocket 

Edited by project89
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supermoto wheels and tires for a start.  Gearing that is appropriate for your bikes size and your riding area.  As for suspension use some that has obviously been set-up for supermoto, your weight and skillset.

A 125 would be geared different then a 250, or a 350, or a 450,or a 500, or a 525, or a 530, or a 600, or a 650 or a 690.  Some models have wide ratio transmissions others don't besides.

Wait let me get out my crystal ball so I can get more info about you, your bike and how you ride. 

Floating-Crystal-Ball.gif

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, William1 said:

Not that simple. Racing? Street? What bike/model/yesr? How much can you spend? What is your honest intent?

he did say street/hwy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, project89 said:

he did say street/hwy 

Do his highways have a 70mph speed limit or is it 55mph???  It makes a difference.... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MentalGuru said:

Do his highways have a 70mph speed limit or is it 55mph???  It makes a difference.... 

Does he 'break the limit'? I hear some people do, in a drift. one hand off the bars giving a thumbs up with the front wheel a foot off the ground.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, MentalGuru said:

Do his highways have a 70mph speed limit or is it 55mph???  It makes a difference.... 

and the reply i gave him covered this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, project89 said:

and the reply i gave him covered this 

Really???  

54 minutes ago, project89 said:

he did say street/hwy 

Would you run the same sprockets on a 250F or 250 smoker that needs to cruise on the hwy at 55-60mph as you would if your cruise speed is 70-75mph on the hwy???

I know I wouldn't.   :rolleyes:

 

For all we know he's planning on riding a 125 or a 4 speed 450....   Would both bikes use the same sprockets for the above question???   :excuseme:

My magic 8 ball says "Very doubtful, Don't count on it, Outlook not so good"

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MentalGuru said:

Really???  

Would you run the same sprockets on a 250F or 250 smoker that needs to cruise on the hwy at 55-60mph as you would if your cruise speed is 70-75mph on the hwy???

I know I wouldn't.   :rolleyes:

 

For all we know he's planning on riding a 125 or a 4 speed 450....   Would both bikes use the same sprockets for the above question???   :excuseme:

My magic 8 ball says "Very doubtful, Don't count on it, Outlook not so good"

 

read my post again i laid it all out , i ididnt say u need to run x/x i gave him the answer on how to figure it out 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×