Spider bait

So, I have a little over 6miles of trail behind my house that me and my buddies made. During the warm months the spiders take over.  I'm usually the one that goes first to clear the web's. I'm not real sqimish about it, but just wondering who else has to deal with that. Always put one tear off on , because after that first lap it's wrapped up in webs. Then I'll have to get all the webs and spiders off my bike , helmet and chest protector.  Yeah, my buddies are wussies. The worse thing is when their crawling across your goggles and about the size of a quarter. Lol

Edited by Edgecombe
  • Like 5

Yup, every summer. Spiders across my goggles, spooling down from my helmet visor, handle bars,etc.. Usually find one or two in my gear bag when I get home. Some years are more populated than others, but early mornings in the woods are usually always spider fests. 

• Like 1

In certian areas I go with deep woods aside creeks yes. Spiders are literally in every corner just about the same size as you describe. I'm just surpised I don't kill them when going through them, I think I've been bitten a few times since I see welts on my skin after riding that has hardened up, but I can't tell when my adrenaline is kicked in. 

• Like 1

If you think your not liking the Goggle spiders how about the other 5' of space and they always go up... good luck! Lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Edgecombe said:

The worse thing is when their crawling across your goggles and about the size of a quarter. Lol

The size of a quarter pfffft what about ones with a leg span up to 15cm like we have over here - completely harmless but still scare the crap out of ya - especially my fiance who jumps at any sized spider

59c853b84d988_HuntmanMG13462_big.jpg.3a927052f211f5d805d68d67cd534755.jpg

• Like 6

Yep, everywhere here to in the summer (SC).  About a month or so ago I was doing some needle changes on my buddies bike. Took a quick spin to check and when I got back, started to take my helmet off he starts telling me to “GET THAT HELMET OFF”! There was a spider about 3” - 4” in diameter crawling down and he said “wanted to get him before he got to meat”😄. Weird looking one too - don’t see many like this one - thankfully. Clay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

The size of a quarter pfffft what about ones with a leg span up to 15cm like we have over here - completely harmless but still scare the crap out of ya - especially my fiance who jumps at any sized spider

Yeah, if you consider crapping my pants harmless!

• Like 3

Yeah that spider would pretty much end up mashed - in the crash it’d cause!! There’s too much stuff in Australia and South America that’ll eat you!! Clay

2 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Its these guys I have a real aversion to. *shudders*

9-centipede.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BushPig said:

Its these guys I have a real aversion to. *shudders*

9-centipede.jpg

Giant centipedes - got bitten by a centipede once - the pain was excruciating

39 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Giant centipedes - got bitten by a centipede once - the pain was excruciating

A friend of mine was sleeping (drunk) outdoors on an old couch in the Darwin rural area.

His wakeup call was a centipede biting him in his belly button lol.

A friend's mother said she saw one kill a duckling by repeatedly biting it in the eyes. Nasty things.

• Like 3

We have banana spiders here, which get pretty big. One time my buddy stopped and was messing with his helmet. I look and see one the size of my hand crawling across his face. Supposed to only be like a bee sting, but I still don't like them.

Just now, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Can you cook them and eat 'em?

Aboriginals do - they cook and eat most living bush critters

only the aboriginals still living feral in the bush that is

59c8c70874dd4_sfjaoal.jpg.45994389cf996f50ca3acac5b23d5ef7.jpg

Sometimes I hate living in New England... this thread shows me otherwise!

18 hours ago, Edgecombe said:

So, I have a little over 6miles of trail behind my house that me and my buddies made. During the warm months the spiders take over.  I'm usually the one that goes first to clear the web's. I'm not real sqimish about it, but just wondering who else has to deal with that. Always put one tear off on , because after that first lap it's wrapped up in webs. Then I'll have to get all the webs and spiders off my bike , helmet and chest protector.  Yeah, my buddies are wussies. The worse thing is when their crawling across your goggles and about the size of a quarter. Lol

Same here we have a 6 mile ST loop and we have the exact same problem sometimes by the time you make one lap some of the spiders have already started making the web over again for your second lap. It's justa good thing they don't all get together and make one big web,they could probably live off of one rider all year LOL!!

• Like 1

Just now, S.O.A.N.Z said:

yeah they put miniature saddles on them and ride them thru the australian wilderness

Their riding gear is colorful!

• Like 1