Alternative air filter cleaning products

Hey, just curious what you guys use for getting the oil out of air filters? I've been trying kerosene and oxi clean but there is still oil in the filter? I use the bell ray foam stuff, and it's like it's stuck in there, I don't wanna buy the actual brand name cleaners because they are a bit expensive.

• Like 1

I use gas,probably isn't the best but it's what I was taught as a kid and it dries fast.I've never had it delaminate the filter and I clean after every ride..I've tried the name brand stuff but it doesn't work as good or as fast.I use maxima oil in the blue can mainly.just my method. 

• Like 5

Gasoline. The best part is pouring it on the lane way when I'm done and lighting it up. Lots of black smoke.
Maybe it's hard on the filters. I always blow it out after with compressed air, but I should probably start rinsing with water after.

17 hours ago, Hucks said:

Hey, just curious what you guys use for getting the oil out of air filters? I've been trying kerosene and oxi clean but there is still oil in the filter? I use the bell ray foam stuff, and it's like it's stuck in there, I don't wanna buy the actual brand name cleaners because they are a bit expensive.

Hot water and dish soap like Dawn. Cheap and effective. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Hot water and dish soap like Dawn. Cheap and effective. 

Is dawn strong enough to break down and remove all of the oil by itself?

39 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

K&N air filter cleaner.

i have some of that it seems to only be extremely effective on K&N oil.. but it does a great job of removing dirt.

8 minutes ago, Hucks said:

Is dawn strong enough to break down and remove all of the oil by itself?

Seems too. Not sure how anyone can prove all the oil is gone. When dry, sure appears clean and I've never had excessive engine wear or a grenaded engine. I think it's the combo of the soap AND hot water that works. Hot oil flows more easily.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hucks said:

i have some of that it seems to only be extremely effective on K&N oil.. but it does a great job of removing dirt.

Nice thing is it won't damage your filter like gas or other solvents.

Kerosene to get most of it off and then totally awesome cleaner from dollar store ( can't say how good this stuff is for cleaning anything) to get out stains.
Then a cold bath with dawn.
Filter looks like new.

25 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Nice thing is it won't damage your filter like gas or other solvents.

do you just spray on or soak it

Just now, cjjeepercreeper said:

Spray it on real good, let it sit and hose it off from the inside.

do you use the K&N oil as well?