Alternative air filter cleaning products

22 minutes ago, Wild Alaskan said:

I do get water in my airbox on a regular basis as none of my bike have air boxes that are well sealed, and good filter oil makes the difference between a few coughs and a sunk bike. Like I said though it doesn't really matter if you don't spend half the ride crossing creeks. 

I watched the vid and I'm now slightly interested so I'm sending it to No Toil to ask them to comment and will post if they reply :)

Rain is one thing but IMO if there is deep water, I'm not going to depend on my air filter (regardless of oil) keeping water out of my engine and will choose my lines/riding style or avoid it if I think there is a chance the bike is going to get submerged and have to deal with it out in the bush.

Doesn't mean I have not ridden through handle bar deep water cus I have and pinned the living crap out of the bike.

11 minutes ago, filterx said:

I watched the vid and I'm now slightly interested so I'm sending it to No Toil to ask them to comment and will post if they reply :)

Rain is one thing but IMO if there is deep water, I'm not going to depend on my air filter (regardless of oil) keeping water out of my engine and will choose my lines/riding style or avoid it if I think there is a chance the bike is going to get submerged and have to deal with it out in the bush.

Doesn't mean I have not ridden through handle bar deep water cus I have and pinned the living crap out of the bike.

all I am saying is that I take every advantage I can get in reducing water ingestion, because it really can't be avoided here, if you can avoid it, run whatever floats your boat ;)

On a side note it also makes a big difference dirty vs fresh, really dirty bel ray is about useless in water also

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Wild Alaskan said:

all I am saying is that I take every advantage I can get in reducing water ingestion, because it really can't be avoided here, if you can avoid it, run whatever floats your boat ;)

On a side note it also makes a big difference dirty vs fresh, really dirty bel ray is about useless in water also

Yes and how heavily saturated the filter is oiled. Some of those pre oiled filters can seem pretty light.  My experience with no toil is it's fine when fresh oiled but seems to dry and lose tackiness if not serviced regularly.  By far easiest to clean. 

• Like 3

Just now, highmarker said:

Yes and how heavily saturated the filter is oiled. Some of those pre oiled filters can seem pretty light.  My experience with no toil is it's fine when fresh oiled but seems to dry and lose tackiness if not serviced regularly.  By far easiest to clean. 

Just tried mineral spirits and oxi clean and its the best clean ive ever seen! the filter looks new, took the oil right out of it!

• Like 1

that's pretty much what it takes (2 cleaners) because the oil formulations are a mix of petroleum for the oiliness and vegetable or polymer for the tackiness.  Some even require a certain PH and an alcohol base component.  Why they sell proprietary cleaners for their proprietary filter oils.  Also why gasoline still works for people, it's chemical soup of different stuff. Hard on some brand filters though.

Used gas the last 10 years to clean filters and yes it does work the best and yes it will deteriorate them eventually. I can get an entire riding season out of a 20 dollar Twin-Air filter, replace it and not think twice about using gas to clean the new one. 

On 9/25/2017 at 0:21 PM, YHGEORGE said:

A SINGLE final rinse in soap and water is a bad joke if you ride in sand or anything similar. I always use BARE hands for the soap part and it gives you better feel to see how much grit is left. It always takes several to truly get a filter clean.

I squeeze the water out into a white bucket. That way I can see if dirt is still coming out. When the dirt stops coming out it's done being rinsed. The soap breaks down the oil. Repeated rinsing is what really cleans the filter.

21 hours ago, Wild Alaskan said:

Ya I keep my filters clean/well oiled and IMO in the top things you can do to extend the life of the motor.

As a suggestion if you know your going to be riding through deep puddles/rivers etc it would hurt to seal up leaks in the air box and even cover the vents with something like panty hose which would only really help to stop the water rushing directly in bit but as I said that's just a suggestion :)

Heres the reply I got back from No Toil today for ANYONE who is interested :)

Hey filterx,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I have seen this before and the reason this happens is because our filter oil is plant based and plant cells lay flat on a surface, where a “traditional” filter oil cells are spherical so they build up. This build up creates smaller areas for the air to flow and because water is thicker than air it keeps the water out in a bucket. However, add some suction to that filter and the water will come gushing through with no effort. So, if you’re on the gas and sink your bike, no oil is going to keep water out of your motor. As far as the oil coming off when submerged in water, I can guarantee that not a drop of our oil came off the filter.

Thanks for going to bat for us on the forums. I know how insane those can get. I hope this helps to answer the questions that people have brought up there.

Thanks,

Gary Jensen

WWW.NOTOIL.COM

CONVENIENT AIR FILTER MAINTENANCE

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, filterx said:

Ya I keep my filters clean/well oiled and IMO in the top things you can do to extend the life of the motor.

As a suggestion if you know your going to be riding through deep puddles/rivers etc it would hurt to seal up leaks in the air box and even cover the vents with something like panty hose which would only really help to stop the water rushing directly in bit but as I said that's just a suggestion :)

Hey filterx,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I have seen this before and the reason this happens is because our filter oil is plant based and plant cells lay flat on a surface, where a “traditional” filter oil cells are spherical so they build up. This build up creates smaller areas for the air to flow and because water is thicker than air it keeps the water out in a bucket. However, add some suction to that filter and the water will come gushing through with no effort. So, if you’re on the gas and sink your bike, no oil is going to keep water out of your motor. As far as the oil coming off when submerged in water, I can guarantee that not a drop of our oil came off the filter.

Thanks for going to bat for us on the forums. I know how insane those can get. I hope this helps to answer the questions that people have brought up there.

Thanks,

Gary Jensen

WWW.NOTOIL.COM

I believe them, try to wash your hands with water after you got notoil on them.... Shit is not solvable by water. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Christoffer Brandel said:

I believe them, try to wash your hands with water after you got notoil on them.... Shit is not solvable by water. 

Ya I wear rubber gloves when applying No Noil but if needed use their cleaner in warm water to get it off if needed :)

• Like 1

I'll never make that mistake again, got it on my hands once. Had to use the actual no toil cleaner to get it off!
  • Like 1

No toil red oil with oxy clean powder to clean it. Super easy and no effort. Dawn alone didn't get the oil completely out of my filters with no toil.

28 minutes ago, filterx said:

Hey filterx,

Thanks,

Gary Jensen

WWW.NOTOIL.COM

Ya sealing the air box would be nice but it would be a lot of work on most mx bikes, and the KTM side cover style ones don't stop much water either. I am impressed with their response, they don't dispute that their oil lets water pass much easier, although they couldn't help but act like it would also let more air pass through too haha.

In a couple weeks when I am back off vacation Ill do a water spray test with one of their filters out of the box, then test it after being reoiled with belray to try and see how much of a difference it makes on a running engine. since all of my testing has consisted of riding through water which has a few too many variables. I'll post a video when i have time to do it

• Like 1

I know a few dudes with KTM's that use pieces of furnace filters to block the vents but again, water can get through just not pour right in.

IMO if the bike is going to submerging, shut it off before can if you can.

Edited by filterx

9 minutes ago, filterx said:

I now a few dudes with KTM's that use pieces of furnace filters to block the vents but again, water can get through just not pour right in.

IMO if the bike is going to submerging, shut it off before can if you can.

Or just rebuild it into a submachine :p

• Like 2