Alternative air filter cleaning products

39 minutes ago, filterx said:

I now a few dudes with KTM's that use pieces of furnace filters to block the vents but again, water can get through just not pour right in.

IMO if the bike is going to submerging, shut it off before can if you can.

Speaking of furnace filter, this is my added desert dust abatement on my 530. This and taping up some seams in the airbox fender fitment.  Looked pretty bad after 800 miles but the main filter looked pretty good.  There is deep water mod ktm has done on factory bikes but it's too involved to describe,  I may have a pic, you have to take the airbox apart to do it.

IMG_20170918_112045.jpg

• Like 1

Where I'm at, diesel is much cheaper than gas, dunk it in there, use a degreaser to remove more diesel, then towel dry. Buying the filter glue is the best option, but any thick lube ( castrol 20w-50 is a suffiecient alternative, it's cheap and a thicker oil) would work on the outer surface. Done this for 5 years and haven't had an issue.

10 minutes ago, Mr.mudman112 said:

Where I'm at, diesel is much cheaper than gas, dunk it in there, use a degreaser to remove more diesel, then towel dry. Buying the filter glue is the best option, but any thick lube ( castrol 20w-50 is a suffiecient alternative, it's cheap and a thicker oil) would work on the outer surface. Done this for 5 years and haven't had an issue.

I absolutely hate diesel and think think your post should be deleted because some poor bastard will try this. Diesel stinks, ruins everything it touches and you cannot clean it off of anything you spill it on. Gas is cheaper than any detergent on the market. Diesel may be pennies cheaper but is no where near the headache it causes.

DO NOT USE DIESEL 

I digress... 

4 hours ago, JakeTheGreat said:

I absolutely hate diesel and think think your post should be deleted because some poor bastard will try this. Diesel stinks, ruins everything it touches and you cannot clean it off of anything you spill it on. Gas is cheaper than any detergent on the market. Diesel may be pennies cheaper but is no where near the headache it causes.

DO NOT USE DIESEL 

I digress... 

But diesel wont degrade the filter like gas does and comes off very easily with a quality soap. If you are doing it right you shouldn't come out coated in the cleaner you are using anyways lol

• Like 2

18 hours ago, filterx said:

I know a few dudes with KTM's that use pieces of furnace filters to block the vents but again, water can get through just not pour right in.

IMO if the bike is going to submerging, shut it off before can if you can.

haha do you ride in the damn ocean? xD, here in montana we are lucky if it rains once a summer, the best times to ride is spring and early fall!

• Like 1

DO NOT USE DIESEL 

I digress... 

Well for starters, I've used it for years, and haven't had an issue. Maybe if you tried the steps to clean and get rid of the "smell" of diesel by using a proper degreaser, you may find it's much better. Gas evaporates faster, but would hardly say that it doesn't smell. I get kicked out the house for an hour if I smell like gas lol. Gas (varies on where your buying from) is definitely not one of the "cheapest" detergents, I believe your post should be deleted because some poor bastard might waste his "pennies" on the "little" extra more that gas costs. Trust me, I've used gas it's not the best for filter foam, degrades it quickly. Gas is $1.16/ L here, diesel is $.98/L. Do the math, I'd rather go the extra mile with diesel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hucks said:

haha do you ride in the damn ocean? xD, here in montana we are lucky if it rains once a summer, the best times to ride is spring and early fall!

Ya it really hasn't rained in BC for almost 3 months (and the worst forest fires in the last 50 years :( )

Otherwise ya IMO the best riding where I live in BC is right now or spring but when it does rain here it REALLY rains.

I see you live in Montana and man its some place I would love to come down and ride but in the PWN BC we have the mountains BUT way different conditions (rain forest) and when they are good the are AWESOME but sometimes there are big puddles and big mountains means big rivers

On 9/28/2017 at 6:54 AM, JakeTheGreat said:

DO NOT USE DIESEL 

I digress... 

Wow.... just wow...   Hope you don’t burst into flames while your ruining your filter...  Imagine if you were to wear gloves... no diesel smell. 😂 

Edited by Nevada Al
  • Like 2

Dish soap + hot water.  Dunk it, let it soak for a while, then massage the filter to get the rest of the dirt/oil out. 
Let it dry, reoil, and install. 
IMG_20130310_181149-L.jpg

I’ve been using the No-Toil air filter oil and cleaner for years and it’s awesome to work with. It’s completely bio degrade-able and comes with its own soap.

https://notoil.com

I got a 5 gallon pail with around a gallon of diesel in it. I throw in the filter to soak in for a couple of minutes and then hand wash it. And rinse it out well with water and let it air dry. I reuse the diesel until it's too dirty. Never had problems with my filters.

Maxima fft with the maxima cleaner. Both are awesome and can be had at a great price. I've gotten more washes out of this filter with this cleaner than I have when I used the no toil bio oil and washed it in warm water and dawn. Plus, the maxima cleaner works better too!

Oxi clean works okay, but it did seem to make my 2T filter come apart at the (glued) seems. When I was using notoil oil and notoil cleaner it was the easiest cleanup I've tried. Right now I'm using the Twinair bio power stuff. I like how tacky the oil is but the twinair bio power cleaner doesn't work as well on the twinair bio power oil, as the notoil cleaner did with notoil oil. I bought the twinair since I like to keep the filter, oil and cleaner brand all matched due to delamination concerns. And now that I've got a Husky, I'm sticking with the oem twinair filters. But I may go back to notoil oil once I use up the rest of the bio power crap.