Re packing silencer on 250x

Ok so I'm wondering when or after how many hours YZ250X owners are repacking their mufflers/ silencers. I've been running the recommended 32:1 fuel ratios ( which seems insane to a couple of my KTM buddies ).  So naturally lots of ooze after a good day of riding. I've got 17 hours on the FMF Turbine core 2. Just wondering if this is a maintenance issue I should be considering.  Thanks in advance. 

4 hours ago, Vish said:

Cool. Thanks for the reply. You da man. 

Welcome, I use the 7 buck LUXX stuff from RMATV. Can do a stock and shorty with that blanket. 

A couple of things:

1. You are correct to run 32:1.  It is the KTM guys that are insane.  However, if you are getting some spooge, you probably need a minor re-jet. Oil-ratio does not cause spooge.  Spooge is a jetting issue.   Probably just a very minor tweek like one size down on the main, or maybe 1 clip position on the needle, is all you need to clean things up.  

2. The hours quoted above sounds reasonable, but I probably do it more often, as it is quick and easy, and I like my bikes to be quiet and run well.  Make sure you clean the perforated core.  Just take a plumber's torch and heat the carbon on the core until it glows (carbon--not the metal).  It will then scrape off really easy with a wire brush.  As for packing, you can buy motorcycle specific stuff, or you can just use household insulation on a two stroke.  I use the latter.  It works fine, and costs virtually nothing.  I have a bunch of bikes myself and I re-pack silencers for friends, so in my case it does save money.  If you use household insulation, wrap a nice thick layer snugly around the core, and use 2-3 loops of masking tape to hold it in place for installation.  I never bother to use sealant on the silencer ends, as my bikes never spooge enough to leak, and the stock caps are nice and snug.  If you do want to seal it, any of the permatex stuff will do.

• Like 3

Well yah, if you are going to use house insulation I would re-pack every 10-15 hours, probably 19-R.;)

If you use motorcylce specific, (and I do because I restore and sale bikes, want them quiet and have it so the client doesn't need to replace after the first day in the desert) the luxx is a thick blanket, and wrap it looser than you would with house insulation. :thumbsup:

I also use the cloth tape to wrap it, same stuff for bandaging, 4 bucks for two good sized rolls. :devil:

But like the other guy said, you can go real cheap also. 

Edited by 2 STOKE YZ DOC
  • Like 2

I've used household insulation many many times. it doesnt seem to last as long as the moto specific stuff but its basically free and works. i repack around 20ish hours

Turbine Core 2 as well.  Repack it with $10 home insulation package for top plates.  A couple of wraps of packing tape to hold in place when reassembling. Enough for 4-5 repacks about every 40 hrs.  Lasts and doesnt blow out.. but soaks up the spooge so I repack.  Something about the turbine spark arrestor that just seems to spooge no matter my jetting when ridden slow in tight technical stuff.  Runs clean in open terrain.  

• Like 1