Yamalink lowering link

Hey guys and gals. Quick question

Recently got a yz450 and I’m a little short. Was thinking about lowering the bike. But don’t know much about what more I need to do. Just want to feel more comfortable. Just thought I would get more info on what I need to do after. Any info would be great. Thanks. Or if anyone has done it or has recommendations for shorter people thanks :)

I put a JGR lowering link on my RMZ450. Even though it's a little more than other brands I went with the JGR because it's adjustable with 6 different inserts. Each insert set has different offsets to allow adjustment in the amount lowered.

https://www.jgrmx.com/collections/jgrmx-parts

As far as straight up lowering I would start by removing my seat cover and shaving the seat foam down first. Reason being that the lowering link will change the leverage ratio of your shock so the more you lower it the stiffer the suspension gets. I almost got tossed over the bars seat bouncing jumps with the most extreme lowered settings on the adjustable link. I ended up using setting 4 of 6 while softening up my high speed compression 2 clicks and slowing the rebound 2 clicks. It does have an overall firmer feel but for me it's great because that firmer feel also feels more solid allowing the rear end to track the front with much less slippage or wandering.

I have a WR250 and have a lower link - I dropped the forks a little. Also found a oem kick stand - took about a half inch out and welded to foot back on. Works great.

24 minutes ago, Stein4 said:

I have a WR250 and have a lower link - I dropped the forks a little. Also found a oem kick stand - took about a half inch out and welded to foot back on. Works great.

How is it with the handling and everything? Just want to make sure I don’t but it and put it on and mess it all up ha. I mean I ride it now no problem. Just would be more comfortable lower ya know ha. 

Call Adrian at Ride Engineering and tell him what you're wanting to do. He's super knowledgeable and a 'no BS' kinda guy. He'll explain what to expect from a lowering link and how it improves handling.

The setting I ended up liking on the JGR link actually has the same specs as the Ride Eng link so I paid an extra $75 to find out Ride's link is as good as anything else out there.
(800) 805 1516
https://ride-engineering.com

• Like 1

I'm not crazy about changing link only (without the knuckle). We tried this on a 2006 CRF450R and yes it lowered the bike but it also adversely softened the rear end. It was going to require at least revalving and possibly a stiffer spring. The biggest problem was the the rear wheel traveled further upward bottoming hard against the fender and airbox. This can cause the carb to be pulled out of the manifold. (we had this happen with a YZ250F). It simply wasn't worth the effort.  Shortening the shock with a spacer was much easier and had little impact other than lowering the bike.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Budlite said:

I'm not crazy about changing link only (without the knuckle). We tried this on a 2006 CRF450R and yes it lowered the bike but it also adversely softened the rear end. It was going to require at least revalving and possibly a stiffer spring. The biggest problem was the the rear wheel traveled further upward bottoming hard against the fender and airbox. This can cause the carb to be pulled out of the manifold. (we had this happen with a YZ250F). It simply wasn't worth the effort.  Shortening the shock with a spacer was much easier and had little impact other than lowering the bike.

What do you mean by knuckle? Sorry new to this ha. Also what spacer could I get if I didn’t like the link I just ordered the link

8 hours ago, Scottybrah said:

What do you mean by knuckle? Sorry new to this ha. Also what spacer could I get if I didn’t like the link I just ordered the link

The knuckle is the piece that the shock and the link attach to. It is intricate in the determination of the ration of movement with affects both wheel travel and effective damping rates. Spacers can be bought from suspension companies very cheaply but require disassembly of the shock. I make my own out of nylon cutting board material.

• Like 1

I'm curious why a lowering link softens the rear end on a Honda while making all the other brands stiffer? Maybe that knuckle is the key? I do know that the lowering link from Ride Eng for pre '17 comes with the knuckle and cost around $400. Maybe that's why Ride doesn't just sell the link only for the Hondas?
  • Like 1

The confusion is that most links only lower a small amount. The Ride Eng advertises a 5mm drop. This helps to balance out the chassis by removing some of the stinkbug effect. These really aren't "lowering" links and one of their biggest effect is to modify the leverage ratio slightly thus affecting the rear shock damping curve somewhat. Short people are looking to lower their bikes dramatically. One of the link mfg (shall remain nameless) lowers in the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch range. These links have a huge affect on the action and wheel travel. They also require you to lower to front fork to bring the chassis into balance. You came on here asking to lower your bike because you are short. This is a common problem, one that I faced with my son since he is about 5'4" tall. The best solution we found was to shorten the shock and fork via spacers. You lose available wheel travel but remember 10" of good travel is better than 12" of not so good travel.......

• Like 1

Yea, I just took it to a shop, the best thing he said to do is not do the lowering link because it messes with the way the bike handles, so they just put in spacers in the rear shock and in the front forks... Ill let you know when i get it back how I like it

On 9/25/2017 at 0:50 PM, kurbe397 said:

Call Adrian at Ride Engineering and tell him what you're wanting to do. He's super knowledgeable and a 'no BS' kinda guy. He'll explain what to expect from a lowering link and how it improves handling.

The setting I ended up liking on the JGR link actually has the same specs as the Ride Eng link so I paid an extra $75 to find out Ride's link is as good as anything else out there.
(800) 805 1516
https://ride-engineering.com

Hey thanks for the number, he referred over to a guy at shock therapy. awesome guy and knows his stuff! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottybrah said:

Yea, I just took it to a shop, the best thing he said to do is not do the lowering link because it messes with the way the bike handles, so they just put in spacers in the rear shock and in the front forks... Ill let you know when i get it back how I like it

I have a 2014 WR450 and I resisted messing with lowering links or other things like spacers. Did spend some money on a custom seat though, had it done by Fisher Saddlebags, lowered about 1".

It was pricey but those guys do awesome work, seat is great and looks damn good too. Had to put in some extra workout time since I am short too, but all is good now.