CR125 AIR STRIKER SWAP

Hello, I bought my 2000 cr125 last week for $1400. I was thinking about doing some mods, I read all the thumpertalk threads I could find on this swap but non on my specific bike.

I got a few questions.

Does the air striker make big difference on the top end and powerband?

How hard is it to dial in the jetting?

Will it fit on a 2000 cr125?

The specific air striker I am looking at is off of a 2000 Cr250r, I think I can order one straight through the honda dealer.

Thanks.

Made a huge difference in how my 03 ran from idle to top end, much easier to tune and not so finicky anymore.....you'll probably need a newer model intake boot assembly as I believe your stock carb is 36mm and the 2000 CR250 is 38mm like I used. My 03 was a direct fit...can't recall what years guys had to heat and stretch the boot to fit. Some got by stretching it, others didn't.

Ya stretching it isn't a problem for me, thanks so much for the reply. This is my first 2 stroke, never buying a 4 stroke again.

Made a huge difference in how my 03 ran from idle to top end, much easier to tune and not so finicky anymore.....you'll probably need a newer model intake boot assembly as I believe your stock carb is 36mm and the 2000 CR250 is 38mm like I used. My 03 was a direct fit...can't recall what years guys had to heat and stretch the boot to fit. Some got by stretching it, others didn't.

What main and pilot do you run? Should I get a JD jet kit for the Cr250 once I get the carb?

I ended up at 48 pilot, kept the 180 main. 50 pilot was too rich for hot and humid Florida conditions but based on your location...the air is probably much colder and that would be a good starting point. Get an NEDJ needle from a newer Suzuki RM....JD kits are great, but the RM needle (triple taper) works really well in the CR125 and runs clean throughout the rpm range at a fraction of the price. JD needles are also a triple taper and that's why most like them.

2000 CR250's come with the 5.5 slide which is ideal for the CR125 on this conversion. One of the best mods I did to my 03....ran like crap with the original TMX, night and day difference once I went with the Airstriker. Luckily found mine on eBay for a fair price...if I remember I only paid like $145 shipped to my door and it came with the throttle assembly. Had a 50/184 with the stock needle and was running quite rich but better than the TMX...once I went to the 48/180 and used the RM needle, holy cow...it cleaned up the blubber, ran crisp and felt like riding a scalded cat. My 14yr old kid is on it now and loves it. I'm on the hunt for a 250 now.

IMG_3523.JPG

The 99 came with a 5.5 slide, the 00 comes with a 7 slide.  The richer slide is a good thing for the 125 but not absolutely necessary.  I used the 7 slide with my 94 cr125 that had a 144cc big bore kit and it worked fine.  I used the JD blue needle in the 3rd clip position with a 182 main and 45 pilot jet.  I run at 4500 feet above sea level.  

Correct, 5.5 is leaner....and I stand corrected, the  CR250 Carb I bought came with the richer 5.5 Slide and was indeed from a 99, not from a 2000 as I previously thought. Went back and looked at my eBay purchase history to verify. I got my info from this article linked below and that's what helped me pick the carb and initial tuning...being hot and humid here in Orlando, I had to lean mine out a bit to clean it up.

http://motocrosshideout.com/2013/02/21/cr250cr125-pwk-air-striker-conversion-throw-out-the-tmx/

Can anyone find me an air striker that fits for under $150? i cant find used ones anywhere. I'm considering one of the Chinese knock-offs, anybody have experience with chinese carbs??

14 hours ago, Br0ck said:

Can anyone find me an air striker that fits for under $150? i cant find used ones anywhere. I'm considering one of the Chinese knock-offs, anybody have experience with chinese carbs??

My experience was for a Chinese knock off for an atc70 which started leaking from a drain screw and I couldn't stop the leak no matter what I tried.  I'm not sure I would take the chance on another one no matter what it was made for.  Plus the Chinese knock off's I've seen aren't airstriker versions but more like the PJ carbs.