The best part of getting a brand new bike is?

Well, the fact that it is brand new of course. After years of used bikes with countless hours of fixing and spending gobs of cash for parts I decided it was time for a new one. No more of the used and abused. I searched for years for the bike that suited me with no luck. I have owned several brands and types of MX and offroad. I just couldn't quite gel with any of them. Then finally the perfect bike came in to my life. A brand new 2017 300 XC-W.

It filled every gap that the others could not. I have owned older KTM bikes and I liked them pretty well. I have had the blessed sss equipped Yamahas. Also Honda, Suzuki and Kawi. Nothing compares to this bike. I have read bad reviews of the Xplor suspension and the Mikuni carb but personally I found the carb easy to dial in for around here. And the suspension is pure bliss on the rough, rocky, rooted terrain we ride. (mostly single track). The only adjustment i have made is I turned the high speed compression out some and added 2 clicks in on rear rebound. Not even a spring change (yet). I weigh in at 205 naked and it works so well stock that I may keep it as is for a while. I know that every person is different when it comes to suspension and setup but for me, this bike is perfect. I honestly can't think of anything I would change on it.

I added an Acerbis skid, bark busters and a pipe guard (going to change it to a carbon fiber one though) and will be adding front and rear disc guards. Everyone in my riding group loves it. 3 of them liked it so well that they bought one too. One ditched his 450 Yamaha, another his CRF and the other replaced his Beta. It may not be the perfect bike for everyone but for me, absolutely. Sorry for the long post and I hope it didn't come across as bragging. Just wanted to share my new found happiness lol. 

4.jpg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, ridinredneck said:

Well, the fact that it is brand new of course. After years of used bikes with countless hours of fixing and spending gobs of cash for parts I decided it was time for a new one. No more of the used and abused. I searched for years for the bike that suited me with no luck. I have owned several brands and types of MX and offroad. I just couldn't quite gel with any of them. Then finally the perfect bike came in to my life. A brand new 2017 300 XC-W. It filled every gap that the others could not. I have owned older KTM bikes and I liked them pretty well. I have had the blessed sss equipped Yamahas. Also Honda, Suzuki and Kawi. Nothing compares to this bike. I have read bad reviews of the Xplor suspension and the Mikuni carb but personally I found the carb easy to dial in for around here. And the suspension is pure bliss on the rough, rocky, rooted terrain we ride. (mostly single track). The only adjustment i have made is I turned the high speed compression out some and added 2 clicks in on rear rebound. Not even a spring change (yet). I weigh in at 205 naked and it works so well stock that I may keep it as is for a while. I know that every person is different when it comes to suspension and setup but for me, this bike is perfect. I honestly can't think of anything I would change on it. I added an Acerbis skid, bark busters and a pipe guard (going to change it to a carbon fiber one though) and will be adding front and rear disc guards. Everyone in my riding group loves it. 3 of them liked it so well that they bought one too. One ditched his 450 Yamaha, another his CRF and the other replaced his Beta. It may not be the perfect bike for everyone but for me, absolutely. Sorry for the long post and I hope it didn't come across as bragging. Just wanted to share my new found happiness lol. 

4.jpg

Congrats man, awesome bike!

• Like 1

IMG_2137.jpg

I replaced my 2010 250 xcw with a 17 300 xcw 50 hours later not one problem. Love the bike I did get the jd jet kit tho.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ridinredneck said:

Well, the fact that it is brand new of course. After years of used bikes with countless hours of fixing and spending gobs of cash for parts I decided it was time for a new one. No more of the used and abused. I searched for years for the bike that suited me with no luck. I have owned several brands and types of MX and offroad. I just couldn't quite gel with any of them. Then finally the perfect bike came in to my life. A brand new 2017 300 XC-W.

It filled every gap that the others could not. I have owned older KTM bikes and I liked them pretty well. I have had the blessed sss equipped Yamahas. Also Honda, Suzuki and Kawi. Nothing compares to this bike. I have read bad reviews of the Xplor suspension and the Mikuni carb but personally I found the carb easy to dial in for around here. And the suspension is pure bliss on the rough, rocky, rooted terrain we ride. (mostly single track). The only adjustment i have made is I turned the high speed compression out some and added 2 clicks in on rear rebound. Not even a spring change (yet). I weigh in at 205 naked and it works so well stock that I may keep it as is for a while. I know that every person is different when it comes to suspension and setup but for me, this bike is perfect. I honestly can't think of anything I would change on it.

I added an Acerbis skid, bark busters and a pipe guard (going to change it to a carbon fiber one though) and will be adding front and rear disc guards. Everyone in my riding group loves it. 3 of them liked it so well that they bought one too. One ditched his 450 Yamaha, another his CRF and the other replaced his Beta. It may not be the perfect bike for everyone but for me, absolutely. Sorry for the long post and I hope it didn't come across as bragging. Just wanted to share my new found happiness lol. 

4.jpg

Congrats!  I too (after many years of looking) just bought a 2018 450 EXC 6 days.  Amazing how great these KTM's are!

• Like 1

IMG_2137.thumb.jpg.cdf45300fe094a83056d68fd68d054d2.jpg

I replaced my 2010 250 xcw with a 17 300 xcw 50 hours later not one problem. Love the bike I did get the jd jet kit tho.

did you have the chance to ride a 300 xc? just curious about the differences in the low gearing on the W's?

did you have the chance to ride a 300 xc? just curious about the differences in the low gearing on the W's?

No I like PDS bike's... always wanted to ride an xc tho.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ridinredneck said:

I have read bad reviews of the Xplor suspension and the Mikuni carb but personally I found the carb easy to dial in for around here. And the suspension is pure bliss on the rough, rocky, rooted terrain we ride. (mostly single track). The only adjustment i have made is I turned the high speed compression out some and added 2 clicks in on rear rebound. Not even a spring change (yet). I weigh in at 205 naked and it works so well stock that I may keep it as is for a while. I know that every person is different when it comes to suspension and setup but for me, this bike is perfect. I honestly can't think of anything I would change on it.

Good to hear the Forks are good from the factory.  ... My first new bike was a 2014 250XCW.. Now I have a chance to get a leftover 2017 250xcw. Would love to try the new engine but really like my 2014.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrKayak said:

Good to hear the Forks are good from the factory.  ... My first new bike was a 2014 250XCW.. Now I have a chance to get a leftover 2017 250xcw. Would love to try the new engine but really like my 2014.. 

The new engine is soooooo good. My old 2000 300 was good but this is even better.

• Like 2

Buying a bike brand new has its perks such as:

-All the guys rave about your bike

-You have the newest and best toy

-Its probably faster than last years

The cons though, outweigh the pros:

-Needs to be broken in

-You most likely are making payments on it which could put you in debt

-Parts will be more expensive

-Most bikes have not changed enough for pos of us to notice the difference in power

-THE BIKE IS GOING TO DEPRECIATE FASTER THAN A BUNNY HUMPS IN 1 MINUTE DURING MATING SEASON

-Just stick with a bike that is fast enough and won't put you in debt with.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MountAiryTrailRiders said:

IMG_2137.jpg

I have about 8 hours on mine so far and loving it. No issues so far either. I used the supplied extra needle and that is all i changed. Runs perfect. Best jetted bike I have ever had. It pulls so strong down low and starts super easy. 

2 minutes ago, KTM_rider_EK_17 said:

Buying a bike brand new has its perks such as:

-All the guys rave about your bike

-You have the newest and best toy

-Its probably faster than last years

The cons though, outweigh the pros:

-Needs to be broken in

-You most likely are making payments on it which could put you in debt

-Parts will be more expensive

-Most bikes have not changed enough for pos of us to notice the difference in power

-THE BIKE IS GOING TO DEPRECIATE FASTER THAN A BUNNY HUMPS IN 1 MINUTE DURING MATING SEASON

-Just stick with a bike that is fast enough and won't put you in debt with.

All of those cons I have no problem with. All the bikes i have owned were plenty fast enough but not with me as the pilot lol. I just wasn't completely comfortable on them.  However, I am faster on this bike than any I have ever owned. This bike is so easy to ride. Great suspension, turns really good and enough low end grunt to tackle anything. Everything depreciates but this will probably be the last bike I ever own so no concerns there either. I could live without the payments though lol. 

• Like 1

Is................ Investing in a giant bottle of Loctite 243. Nice bike.

Real racers have it in there tool box at all times.

Nice ride bro.

• Like 1

New is great but mine look like crap after the first few rides so it's tuff to get excited about that part of it.  Bikes really arent all that different from year to year but they make nice incremental strides that make riding more enjoyable.  The 17 model year brought in some real neat changes, the biggest didnt make you go any faster but that counter balancer is the deal.  It's  so good I have to wonder if the bitching about jetting might just be due to the fact that since vibration is cut in half now you notice other things.  lol  I include myself in that.  My jetting is getting close now but chasing a tiny little stutter that I probably would never notice prior.  lol

Lighter weight is always welcome, makes it even more fun on the trail.  Handling has improved and seems you just think of a direction and it knows.

I also like how the thing is easy to work on.  Even including jetting which I am getting too familiar.  EASY.  Laid out very smart in all aspects except the two seat bolts, I find them annoying. 

I think it's a keeper.  

• Like 2

My son is on nos 10 and 11, all KTMs - all bought new. Anyway, I have been giving a friend's son a hand to sort his 2015 85sx - what a bag of nails which hasn't been maintained. Outwardly looks ok but is sick inside. New bikes - you set your own service schedule from day one and ok after a couple of race meetings it looks older, but you know that the oil is good, the jetting is good, you've run it in correctly,you've no stripped bolts, you tend (we do) to use oem parts etc. Yeah, new all the way if you can afford it. If you can't it can be difficult to track down a good used one, particularly a motocross bike - they always seem to have had a top end done 2 hours ago, never raced, filter change every ride blah blah.

• Like 4