Panning for gold(brass)

I could not find my original post to give proper recap concerning brass flakes in the oil. I know its been a while but better late then never as they say. When I finally changed the oil again I had about the same amount of brass flakes in the bottom of my clean catch pan. Bike still runs good but have not rode it much this season. Mods are few to the motor itself, just has a big bore piston and smog off and jetted and piped. So again to the powers that be, where is this brass\gold flakes coming from, they also are not magnetic. Bike is a 2000 XRL. 

The duc was actually copper from the stator. The flywheel nut backed off and the flywheel ate the stator. Not too bad actually but lots of debris to clean up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OttawaBRP said:

The duc was actually copper from the stator. The flywheel nut backed off and the flywheel ate the stator. Not too bad actually but lots of debris to clean up.

Man, I never would have guessed that.  Anytime I've seen that happen there was nothing but black bits of ground up magnets and stator core with a lot of carnage.  You must have shut down pretty quickly.  

I suppose the same thing could happen on the L as well.  

10 hours ago, baldy110 said:

There are no rod bushings on the XR650L.  

There are no (easily) replaceable bushings.  There are bushings and they are bronze in the stock rod.

Edited by Hollerhead

Well it's gotta have *something* between the crank and the rod, it's a roller bearing?

Or do you mean at the top end?

Edited by XR650L_Dave

There are no bushings between the big end and the crank like in the XR600R.  There is a roller bearing between the crank pin and big end but nothing on the sides.  I don't think the XRL engine has any bronze bushings in the engine at least not on the last several I overhauled, unless someone built up a hybred engine using an XR600R lower.

There are no thrust washers on the big end either.

Edited by baldy110

My 2000 XR650L was only a year old when I got it and I truely believe that I was the first one to open it up, bottom end has never been touched just the top end. It is crazy that none of us know where this bronze/brass flake is coming from, my guess is thrust washers but some are saying there is none. Not sure how strong the bottom ends are with the RFVC motors but when I first got my bike I thought the bottom end was coming out of it from the big single jug, 15000kms later and its still the same, I dont like it lugging at idle or lugging it at low revs like the hardly guys, always thought for a 644cc mill single it lacked power but what it has in spades is low end torque, very usable even with the short 1st gear. 

IMG_3102.JPG

19 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

:facepalm:   Yes , I know that , but you keep saying BUSHING.

The Pedantry Society of America thanks you for your support! :goofy:

4 hours ago, XR650L_Dave said:

The Pedantry Society of America thanks you for your support! :goofy:

:facepalm:    A bushing and a thrust washer are NOT the same thing , Einstein.