1972 Honda SL125 electrical issues

Hi, I am at a stalemate with my 1972 Honda SL125. I am not the best with the electrical systems and whatnot on bikes, but i know a thing or two. This old technology is really confusing me. So first of all i had to get a battery because when i bought the bike there was no battery. So i bought the correct battery for the bike bought i am stuck on where to put which wires. There is only one free wire not connected to anything and that is the positive(red) wire . I am confused why there is only one wire free. I have pictures to show more, i am bad at explaining. Also i am curious what this orange box in the pictures that sits next to where the battery goes. There is a ground wire going onto the bolt that hold this box in place as well

Thanks, Jake

Snapchat-91207931.jpg

Snapchat-236514574.jpg

Snapchat-1367794855.jpg

Thanks i found the parts image that shows what im looking for, but the only problem is i still cant really tell what im missing. Im not sure if i am missing a wire or do you only hook up a positive wire to the battery. In the picture that is all i can see, if someone could look at it better that has more knowledge than me with this stuff that would be amazing.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/Catalog/Honda/0125_SL125K1_SL125K2_Microfiches_Honda/parts_list_0125_SL125K1_SL125K2/053-view.html

Thanks, Jake

4 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

This might help.

59ca5ae486bcc_aaa111002.jpg.5fe5d4156744412cf873f5012f6c2857.jpg

Thanks for the reply, from looking at this it shows a green wire going to the negative port on the battery like i thought, but the problem is i dont have any free green wires. Since it shows there is one going to the rectifier also. So does this mean i am missing a wire or am i missing something in general?

you have one wire coming out of the coil same side as spark plug wire - goes to kill switch - the other wire goes to contact breakers / points - which are grounded

did you want to run lights on it ?

that orange box is your rec reg / selenium rectifier

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

you have one wire coming out of the coil same side as spark plug wire - goes to kill switch - the other wire goes to contact breakers / points - which are grounded

did you want to run lights on it ?

that orange box is your rec reg / selenium rectifier

Yea it had lights on it and has all the wires hooked up to them. But i cant start the bike because i cant get the battery hooked up. That is the main focus, because on this bike it wont get spark if it doesnt have a battery. So i have to hook up the battery but there is only one wire that isnt hooked up to anything which is the red one. That wire i know goes to the battery, but i dont why i dont have a negative wire that would hook up to the battery as well. I put the red wire and even took one of the green wire off( the one the is on the rectifier bolt) and put that wire onto the battery, but still no spark. 

The  wire from the negative pole on the battery goes to ground.  Even if it was plugged into the harness it still just goes to ground.

I would guess that the reason you do not have the negative ground wire(the missing one) is that it was connected to the previous battery when it was discarded.

• Like 1

yeah just bolt that red wire to positive and the black battery wire anywhere to ground and try that

Looking at the wiring diagram there should be two green wires coming from the wiring harness near the battery area.

• One goes to the bike frame
  • One goes to the battery

It looks like someone has bolted the one that should go to the battery to the frame. Just undo it and connect it to battery negative.

Make sure you have a fuse in the fuse holder! Make sure also that the fuse is good...

Adam.

• Like 1

Glad you guys jumped in on the wiring diagram. I just post 'em up. I have a heck of a time figuring them out.:banghead:

Thanks for the replies everyone, ill go and try what you guys said when i am off work. I should get to it Saturday and then ill post my results back here. 

Thanks, Jake

Hi, I got the battery going but i now have a new problem. It seemed that selenium rectifier was getting too hot for some reason. There was a little bit of smoke coming from the side of it. Not sure if it was from hitting electrical tape or just from the rectifier itself. There was too much heat coming off of that area i am stuck on what to do now, i don't want to short anything out.