Why KTM hasn't entered the Trials Market?

Never understood why KTM left the quad market. Seems around that time quads really started to come back strong with things like EFI, power steering, etc. No money in it? SideXSides came about shortly afterwards and really took off too.

I wonder why KTM hasn't dabbled or made mention of getting a Trials Bike out there? Yes, small market but with the way motorcycling is going and KTMs strong marketing strategy maybe they could really bring the Trials market forward. It's pretty apparent they could do it or close to with the 250/350 Free Ride motors, or even the E-FreeRide motor... 

As much as I love riding trials and it's pretty much the only form of motorcycle I ride these days I would totally stay away from it from a business position. It's truly just too small and wouldn't fit their model. 

People thought Honda brining in the bikes would be a big benefit, but it's done nothing. Plus there's already too many bikes available in this tiny market IMO with Beta, Sherco, Scorpa, Gas Gas, TRS, Vertigo and Montesa/Honda. 

• Like 5

I'd also guess low market sales divided by a saturated market. Didn't ktm only sell quads only when polaris owned them? 

Better question, why did Canondale get into motorcycles?  KTM actually started as a bicycle company and made the leap.  Crack n' Fail, not so much.

Trials, KTM makes nitch bikes, but the trials nitch might be too small for them.   They do have freeride and electric freeride.

The quad market is huge, even bigger for farm quads, but shifting to SBS.  I agree, this is more of an American market.

If you want to make money, sell small displacement motor scooters.   A billion get sold every year.  IMHO, this is the reason they went after 2-strokes so hard.  Not because of your YZ250 putting around, but because of the huge scooter market in Asia, SE Asia, and India.   When the new scooters are sold, no one wanted any to be 2-strokes.  Hence the push to eradicate 2-Ts. 

15 minutes ago, Kev_XR said:

Better question, why did Canondale get into motorcycles?  KTM actually started as a bicycle company and made the leap.  Crack n' Fail, not so much.

Trials, KTM makes nitch bikes, but the trials nitch might be too small for them.   They do have freeride and electric freeride.

The quad market is huge, even bigger for farm quads, but shifting to SBS.  I agree, this is more of an American market.

If you want to make money, sell small displacement motor scooters.   A billion get sold every year.  IMHO, this is the reason they went after 2-strokes so hard.  Not because of your YZ250 putting around, but because of the huge scooter market in Asia, SE Asia, and India.   When the new scooters are sold, no one wanted any to be 2-strokes.  Hence the push to eradicate 2-Ts. 

I think KTM just put too much in... Everything was ahead of its time (current these days) but just didn't do the research and R&D like what you see other manufacturers doing... What did Keefer say, the 2018 Yamaha was started in 2013? Thats solid years of R&D with a pretty hefty budget behind them. For Cannondale to scale up like that so quickly just didn't seem realistic...

As for the quad market, yes it's more 'American' and KTM at the time of production only built sport quads but that's not to say that they couldn't have transitioned into utility and SBS...

Would be a interesting conversation with Pit to see what and why KTM never went/continued/explored these markets.

Or maybe KTM hadn't established their goal of being the number 1 offroad company at the time so it made sense to put their money into the R&D into the new 450 at the time... 

• Like 2

It's niche BTW. Not nitch.

Meant in the friendliest non grammar Nazi kind of way. Just helping a guy out.
  • Like 3

A friend took a class from Shane Watts. He was told that Dave Knight learned how to ride trials first, then switched to enduros. Watts claimed to be equally fast, but a lot more beat up by the process he used.  Learning to ride trials is a good progression for enduro and certainly hard enduro riders.

i have two friends teaching their kids to be trials riders first.

Give how quickly electric motorcycles are progressing, I wouldn't be surprised if KTM skipped right to making electric trials bikes. The best part is the ability to ride in urban areas without noise complaints.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kev_XR said:

A friend took a class from Shane Watts. He was told that Dave Knight learned how to ride trials first, then switched to enduros. Watts claimed to be equally fast, but a lot more beat up by the process he used.  Learning to ride trials is a good progression for enduro and certainly hard enduro riders.

i have two friends teaching their kids to be trials riders first.

Give how quickly electric motorcycles are progressing, I wouldn't be surprised if KTM skipped right to making electric trials bikes. The best part is the ability to ride in urban areas without noise complaints.

This is exactly why I was thinking the market is perfect for them.  Most of those hard enduro guys, and many of the Edurocross and Super Enduro guys started with trials riding.  

It's obvious too.  Look at Jarvis' instagram page.  His skills were honed in trials riding, then on to hard enduro.  

Probably a reason Haker has not had success in the hard enduros too.  He didn't start out in trials, and rides more like Watts, using much more energy.  

• Like 2

They are both a POS...the Lambo and the X blob..

and for far less money you can go faster on the track with this........

2017-caterham.jpg

Edited by daled
  • Like 1

Probably a reason Haker has not had success in the hard enduros too.  He didn't start out in trials, and rides more like Watts, using much more energy.  

There is a pretty sweet video on You Tube with Haaker and Jarvis and a few others and Haaker talks briefly about starting out on trials and shows pictures of him as a kid competing in Trials. I'll try to find it and post a link.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Monk said:

Never understood why KTM left the quad market. Seems around that time quads really started to come back strong with things like EFI, power steering, etc. No money in it? SideXSides came about shortly afterwards and really took off too.

I wonder why KTM hasn't dabbled or made mention of getting a Trials Bike out there? Yes, small market but with the way motorcycling is going and KTMs strong marketing strategy maybe they could really bring the Trials market forward. It's pretty apparent they could do it or close to with the 250/350 Free Ride motors, or even the E-FreeRide motor... 

B/c their out of money.  They have been paying the top riders so much money to ride their bikes.  Slowly dying KTM..^^

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mongo134 said:

And I'd rather have that then the POS Lamborghini parked next to it!

I would WAY much rather have the Lamborghini thanks 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, daled said:

They are both a POS...the Lambo and the X blob..

and for far less money you can go faster on the track with this........

It's ugly but I like it  :thumbsup:

Reminds me of Bubba for some reason?

Edited by meyermetal
  • Like 2