Coolant overflow

I recently bought a DRZ 400 that had the coolant overflow removed. I am putting it back on the bike because I keep it outside and I ride it around the city in traffic so I want the cooling system to work properly. Can any of you give me some info on how the piping is routed or post some pictures.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Jdowling74 said:

I recently bought a DRZ 400 that had the coolant overflow removed. I am putting it back on the bike because I keep it outside and I ride it around the city in traffic so I want the cooling system to work properly. Can any of you give me some info on how the piping is routed or post some pictures.

Thanks

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/53fb51f96d81f594647e4e21/radiator

• Like 1

just a curious question, but why is the baby bottle/turkey baster done instead of the OEM reservoir that has an inlet and outlet?

just a curious question, but why is the baby bottle/turkey baster done instead of the OEM reservoir that has an inlet and outlet?

Usually the bottle is zip tied behind the radiator, and would have an in and out. I used a large syringe, and the overflow enters in the top of it, and re-enters the rads through the bottom.
It's done for aesthetics, and because the stock bottle can break easily.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 74jimbo said:

Its an adaption that started with dirt bikes for SM track use. Pure dirt bikes don't have an expansion tank, and when they get too hot they spew coolant onto the ground. That's not allowed on a paved track because it creates a slippery spot. A turkey baster tied to the radiator to catch any overflow is an easy way to add a expansion tank. So, on the DRZ, when the expensive stock plastic tanks started breaking, or to clean up that area of the bike, people started replacing them with cheap turkey basters tied to the radiator.

• Like 2

Because wei're cheap b@stards and it flies under the radar of she who must be obeyed.

• Like 1

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 2:48 AM, 74jimbo said:

The baby bottle actually works really well, when bike gets hot coolant comes in to about a 1/3 rd of the way up the bottle. Then when it cools, down to about a 1/4 bottle.

Some of us just like to inovate,  or just be cheap.:cool:

• Like 1