2017 tx300 lectron vs jd jetting mikuni

In my searches I didn't see too much about anyone who has tried both of these options. I tried the jd jetting kit first and did some fiddling and got the bike to run good, seemEd pretty clean. I also lowered the float level slightly and did jd jettings overflow tube loop to try and minimize lost fuel on the ground. Then I bought a lectron hv 38mm carb and it was considerably better than the mikuni with a jd jetting kit. There was a big boost in low end torque that is super smooth.  The bike sounds better. Automatically adjusts for altitude. Starts great. And I get considerably better fuel economy  (about 15 or 20 percent better).

My conclusion having used both products is that the jd jetting kit will make your bike run well and be much more rideable than the terrible stock jetting. The jd kit is also much cheaper. 

The lectron carb will make your bike run amazing, give a big boost in rideable smooth low end torque. Also a big boost in fuel economy over the mikuni with jd jetting. The bike is really really good with a lectron. It's like fuel injection that is simpler, lighter, and available in North America. 

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

I have a buddy with a 17 KTM 300 and he tried the Lectron and could not get it to run well.  He switched to Keihin and is now happy.  I just went with JD myself on my 17 TX300 and are pretty happy.  I am however unhappy that my stock bike needs race gas or it pings.  Not sure what the cause of this is, but it is too late now.  

Going to run the bike for a couple years till FI comes to the US on the 300's.

1 hour ago, deemac703 said:

What was his bike running like? Myself and 3 or 4 of my buddies are running lectron hv carbs on our bikes and they're all perfect. 

It seemed very lean to me as set up by Lectron when I rode it.  He never seemed to be able to dial it in and saw no improvement in performance, so he just went to Keihin.  I think though he was looking for something more plug and play and he was getting frustrated trying to figure it out.

To get the mikuni to run to it's full potential you must tune all circuits for the bikes intended use, rider and climate. 

If you are only changing needles, main and the pilot jet you are leaving two tuning circuits completely stock and loosing potential to fine tune. I found the best improvement for me was selecting the proper slide and needle jet selection(#6 & S1).

The Mikuni's are actually MORE tune-able then the Keihins that came on the KTM in the past because you have the ability to change the needle jet which was not a tuning option on the Keihins.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Complete opposite from the OP for me..  Stock jets had the tune so/so..  Just looking for simplicity since this was my 2t, I went ahead and ordered the Lctron HV.. It may have run slightly smoother at lower rpms, but I lost so much bottom end it was terrible..  When the bike would lug down it was much more hesitant to climb back up in the rpms without down shifting, it would load up and almost stall during down hills if you didn't rev it once in a while to clear it out..  I called and went through slavens and lectron trying every setting they could come up with, including having to cut a vent line, put a T in it and run a hose up to the frame for proper venting (which still didn't help).  Apparently it's just the nature of them..  You are the first person I've heard say they improved bottom end power..

I sold the lectron, put a JD kit in the mikuni and it's very close to perfect..  I have a RK tek head on the way, which reviews have said clears up the jetting even more.. For me though, the bike is way stronger without the lectron 

• Like 2

on my 2018 tx300 to get it to run right i opened up the airbox and had it set up on the dyno and it was better but not quite right so  i put a v force reed valve on it had it rejetted on the dyno again and now its absolutely perfect such a strong engine wheelies and wheelspins at the same time changing into third and lugs really well in technical slow sections.the standard reed valve is ready for the bin from new it has gaps you can see daylight through all round  the reeds on both sides which i think is most of the problem with trying to get these bikes to run right,for those still running the standard reed valve take it out and hold it up to a light you will see what i mean.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Piledup said:

Complete opposite from the OP for me..  Stock jets had the tune so/so..  Just looking for simplicity since this was my 2t, I went ahead and ordered the Lctron HV.. It may have run slightly smoother at lower rpms, but I lost so much bottom end it was terrible..  When the bike would lug down it was much more hesitant to climb back up in the rpms without down shifting, it would load up and almost stall during down hills if you didn't rev it once in a while to clear it out..  I called and went through slavens and lectron trying every setting they could come up with, including having to cut a vent line, put a T in it and run a hose up to the frame for proper venting (which still didn't help).  Apparently it's just the nature of them..  You are the first person I've heard say they improved bottom end power..

I sold the lectron, put a JD kit in the mikuni and it's very close to perfect..  I have a RK tek head on the way, which reviews have said clears up the jetting even more.. For me though, the bike is way stronger without the lectron 

This mirrors my experience exactly! I wasted good money on the Lectron as well and was very disappointed. I am back to the Mikuni with JD Kit and a RK Tek head and couldn't be more pleased. Lesson learned: Don't believe all the hype on the forums. 

BTW, you'll LOVE the new head when you get it installed! 

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:39 PM, U1arunit said:

This mirrors my experience exactly! I wasted good money on the Lectron as well and was very disappointed. I am back to the Mikuni with JD Kit and a RK Tek head and couldn't be more pleased. Lesson learned: Don't believe all the hype on the forums. 

BTW, you'll LOVE the new head when you get it installed! 

What's your elevation and temps?..  I'm at 0-1500 ft for most of my riding. Did you do any jetting changes after the head? Mine should be here any day now

12 minutes ago, Piledup said:

What's your elevation and temps?..  I'm at 0-1500 ft for most of my riding. Did you do any jetting changes after the head? Mine should be here any day now

850-1100 elevation where we ride. Temps range from 40-90* but mostly close to 60-75* during the times most riding is done. 

I added some more fuel than suggested in the JD Jetting kit. I now run an S1 needle jet, 32.5 Pilot, JD Blue-3, and 440 or 450 main. 

Edited by U1arunit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Mikuni TMX has been slaughtered in the forums. James Dean not only sells a decent kit, but you buy is relentless testing/re-testing. On KTMTalk, search on "5.75 slide". I modded my slide per James' recommendations and now my bottom-end meters perfectly. Also keep in mind that if you increase compression ratio and/or open up the airbox (I did - now its is NOISY), You'll likely need to adjust your jetting. 

On 9/28/2017 at 5:27 PM, TommyB 754 said:

To get the mikuni to run to it's full potential you must tune all circuits for the bikes intended use, rider and climate. 

If you are only changing needles, main and the pilot jet you are leaving two tuning circuits completely stock and loosing potential to fine tune. I found the best improvement for me was selecting the proper slide and needle jet selection(#6 & S1).

The Mikuni's are actually MORE tune-able then the Keihins that came on the KTM in the past because you have the ability to change the needle jet which was not a tuning option on the Keihins.

my problem is a high rev, i have a stock jetting, assume i just bought this from the 2 owner, he has FMF pipe an gnraley, so it not power i worry about , but i need too def, get jd kit, and tune my idel its high, then shifting it thumps that first gear hard(not liking that), and idel drops on release of clutch, any opinion is app..thanks

• 5 months later...
On 9/26/2017 at 9:05 AM, 95jersey said:

I am however unhappy that my stock bike needs race gas or it pings.  Not sure what the cause of this is, but it is too late now.

My TX300 is pinging when I let off the throttle on long sustained runs (mostly on the road sections), is this what yours was doing?  Some have suggested it's not "pinging" but "pipe bang" and I'm having a hard time learning what is the difference?

When warmed up and running at a single track pace (on/off the gas) she idles down just fine, it seems like long hills, or road sections as soon as I back off the throttle it happens.  I do have 13-52 gearing so maybe it's some increased engine braking causing the "pinging"??

12 hours ago, WoodsRacerDotCom said:

My TX300 is pinging when I let off the throttle on long sustained runs (mostly on the road sections), is this what yours was doing?  Some have suggested it's not "pinging" but "pipe bang" and I'm having a hard time learning what is the difference?

When warmed up and running at a single track pace (on/off the gas) she idles down just fine, it seems like long hills, or road sections as soon as I back off the throttle it happens.  I do have 13-52 gearing so maybe it's some increased engine braking causing the "pinging"??

Pipe bang happens on decel, pinging happens on steady state throttle.  These bikes ping for some reason.  I had to over richen the jetting but I still get some.  It goes away 100% with race gas.  Try a can of race gas and see for yourself.  If the race gas stops the pinging you have proof as to the issue.  I run octane booster in every tank of gas now.

10 minutes ago, 95jersey said:

Pipe bang happens on decel, pinging happens on steady state throttle.  These bikes ping for some reason.  I had to over richen the jetting but I still get some.  It goes away 100% with race gas.  Try a can of race gas and see for yourself.  If the race gas stops the pinging you have proof as to the issue.  I run octane booster in every tank of gas now.

That being said, I guess I have "pipe bang", now how to cure it?

currently running the following JD SPECS on my 2017 TX300

30p
420M
blue 2.5
as 1.5
1000' ASL
vforce 
air box opened

I just got the 5.75 slide, so I'll try that next I suppose.