Everything about motocross?

Ok so in a nutshell I want to become a PRO motocross racer. Just like James Stewart or Ricky Carmichael. I know its the elite 1% but idc ill be that 1% blah blah blah dont needa lecture on how hard it is i already know. I need to know everything from beginner to pro. How do you get noticed/sponsored? What is "factory support"? Do you have a racing team that works for you/you work for them? How do you get to be part of a team? The whole 9 yards folks i need a detailed plan here dont be afraid to send me paragraphs of text if you need to just to explain it all. Do the teams give you free gear/bikes to race with? Im already 16 and been riding for about 2.5 weeks now but im already on a yz250f and ive been to the track and cleared some jumps. I clearly have natural talent and im an extremely fast learner. I honestly do believe i can be something great and have temendous dedication. Just tell me how to get to the top the easiest and fastest way possible. EDIT: Ok so theres lots of positive and lots of negative comments on whether i can go pro because of my age right now. Personally its not an issue for me. Theres people that can ride for a very long time and not get as good as someone that ridden for a year it all depends on the rider. Im already on a yz250f pushing it pretty hard and the beginner races i see look very easy. You can doubt me if you want but i do think i can be pretty good because im determined. 

Edited by Garrett Wenciker
  • Like 1

You are about 13 years too late to start training to become a pro.

In all seriousness though, the only thing you have to do is start winning everything you enter. Race the fastest class you can and start going to LL qualifiers. Qualify to race LL and win there. After that then you might be on someone radar.

This will take a lot of time and a lot of money (tens of thousands if you can do it in the first year, hundreds of thousands if it takes a decade, and by that time you would be too old to get factory attention.).

• Like 5

Race your local series till you get to the Pro class, then get your AMA pro license. Then call up Honda and tell them you're ready!

• Like 3

go to your local track and enter a race in the beginners class then come back and tell us how it went....

• Like 13

Your never too old if your fast  

John Dowd didn't start racing until he was 20 and got his first factory ride at...30???

• Like 4

Winning Loretta Lynns in 2018 in the 250 A class would insure your fast road to stardom.  

• Like 6

Welcome to the internet. Must be Towelie posting these up... :lol:

Can't b towelie, he's only crashed twice.
  • Like 4

To become a Pro in a limited amount of time is possible but not probable, more so to do with the 'times' we live in.

Roczen had won a World Championship by 16, meaning from day 1 at a young age his body had developed muscle memory, movement, distance, danger readings etc. At 16 he could tell you at what jump at what speed at how fast at how far and where you would land. And it was as natural to him as you taking a piss in the morning...

Now, you can do it but its going to take an abnormal amount of sacrifice/commitment to get there. Starting today, you would literally have to drop out of school and move to a facility such as MTF and start practicing immediately. You would probably have to practice 3-5hrs a day. I'm talking 1000s of hours of practicing (not riding around but actual practice), going through 1 corner or 1 section or 1 jump, 1000s of times under its so ingrained into you that you could hit it with your eyes closed everytime and do it near perfectly. Then you would have to put those obstacles together in laps and do 1000s of those. 20-30min motos, 2-3 times a day. Within 2-3yrs you would be pretty dam good. After your done on bike practice, you gotta go spend some time in the gym too. A couple hours a day, working on both endurance and strength. So you might have to pump the rower for an hour or hammer the Kettlebells for a while too. Your probably looking at 5-7hrs a day or practice/training, 4-5 days a week. And then there is the whole diet issue too. Your food intake will have to be closely monitored day in and day out to make sure you get optimal performance from your body. I imagine a program like what I describe would run you $100k+ every year. Add you dirtbike maintenance costs @ another $50k a year and you would be pretty golden. 

In between those practice days, on the weekends, you would have to be racing as much as possible. Gaining experience in every racing situation possible and hopefully moving your way up the latter. For the first collection years your going to pay a lot out of pocket, close to $25-30k year in entry fees, maintenance, tires, travel, food, hotels etc. If you're doing good after 3yrs and winning, sponsors will start giving you parts for free or deeply discounted. But your fees don't change much as you demands on the bike will become higher. The faster you get, the harder you get on bikes. By your 5th year if you're still doing that good, you'll be riding/racing and will have full support all around but probably not making any money outside of purse money. 

1st year under proper training you could be top 5 junior, 2nd year win junior, 3rd year win intermediate, 4th year you could be top 5 in Expert, 5th year your winning expert, 6th year your a slow local pro, 7th year you Pro Pro, and maybe by your 8th year you're elite. So I figure about 6-8 solid years is what it would take to be a top 5 guy. You'd be 24-26yrs old by then...

So at 26yr of age, your Pro, possibly at the best your every gonna get. You've invested about $600-$1m dollars by then... Possible, just not probable... 

• Like 12

Seriously... how hard could it be?! It's just riding a motorcycle around in a dirt lot with a few bumps in it. If I wasn't so old, fat, lazy and uncoordinated, I'd take a run at it. Let's do this!!!!!

• Like 9

Bob Hannah didn't race his first race until he moved out on his own at about 17 or 18, so 

You-Can-Do-It.jpg

Step one I'd say is to put down the crack pipe.  Once you've done that and have detoxed a little bit, then let's chat.

Edited by jcm3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, jcm3 said:

Bob Hannah didn't race his first race until he moved out on his own at about 17 or 18, so 

Different times now though. People start to train real young and they litterally have one or maybe a few tracks in the backyard. It can be done with the right mindset if you were born with alot of natural skill. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Christoffer Brandel said:

Different times now though. People start to train real young and they litterally have one or maybe a few tracks in the backyard. It can be done with the right mindset if you were born with alot of natural skill. 

Yes, but I think few actually realize the talent that Garrett Wenciker has.  It's a sight to behold.

1 hour ago, markit said:

Can't b towelie, he's only crashed twice.

Love the positivity 😑

1 hour ago, jcm3 said:

Yes, but I think few actually realize the talent that Garrett Wenciker has.  It's a sight to behold.

Exactly 😂

1 hour ago, jcm3 said:

You-Can-Do-It.jpg

Step one I'd say is to put down the crack pipe.  Once you've done that and have detoxed a little bit, then let's chat.

But i love the crack pipe 😭

Hell yes you can do it!!!   Now wether you feel the same way after some good ole high speed get offs and your bones are sticking out of your skin, well thats another matter.   I'm assuming you haven't hit the ground hard yet.....  well here's a heads up... your about to :)  

Edited by FLYKTM
  • Like 5

Don't listen to any of these jealous old dudes. Once in a great while a natural talent like yourself will come on the scene and blow everyone away. I would suggest posting as many riding videos as you can on here or YouTube just to get your name and your skills out there. No one can deny your skills once they see the evidence. You need to quickly decide if your gonna go Red Bull , Monster or Rockstar as the SX season is just around the corner. I would suggest some additional videos with you on a suit, a la Roczen, with your chosen sponsors product in your hand and strategically placed through out the video and talk about the benefits of picking you up as a team member. Don't be afraid to speak your mind and make clear the level of talent you have.

If you can swing it you might consider showing up for MonsterEnergy Cup. An overall win there would give you tons of exposure and possibly 1 million dollars that you could use for a privateer effort in SX until you ink a factory ride.

Good luck, be careful and keep us posted!

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, dirtbikesonny said:

Don't listen to any of these jealous old dudes. Once in a great while a natural talent like yourself will come on the scene and blow everyone away. I would suggest posting as many riding videos as you can on here or YouTube just to get your name and your skills out there. No one can deny your skills once they see the evidence. You need to quickly decide if your gonna go Red Bull , Monster or Rockstar as the SX season is just around the corner. I would suggest some additional videos with you on a suit, a la Roczen, with your chosen sponsors product in your hand and strategically placed through out the video and talk about the benefits of picking you up as a team member. Don't be afraid to speak your mind and make clear the level of talent you have.

If you can swing it you might consider showing up for MonsterEnergy Cup. An overall win there would give you tons of exposure and possibly 1 million dollars that you could use for a privateer effort in SX until you ink a factory ride.

Good luck, be careful and keep us posted!

He's right. Most of us hate you and your obvious talent. You threaten our dominance on TT, so buzz off you little bastard.

• Like 5