Your favorite Bike (and the yz250fx)

Hi guys, I want to hear about two things. First, I'm tired of my tiny TTR-125. I ultimately want to get a yz250fx, but I'm broke right now, so I'm looking at a TTR230. What you you guys think about the '250fx and the ttr230?

Next, what is your favorite Bike? Even if you've never had it...

I'm looking for my "forever bike". What do you guys LOVE? I don't really want someging too big, I like how I can man-handle my tiny bike right now. Anyway, this is the place for your favorite Bike and why you are in love. Shoot

• Like 1

Will probably always own a YZ250. Light. Scary fast. Fun. You can pick up a perfectly rideable one for $2000, an excellent one for $3000. Run forever. Dirt cheap to rebuild. Parts available everywhere. Can tune for virtually any terrain. Some of the best stock suspension you can find, and not expensive to make it awesome suspension if you are the least bit handy.

Edited by LSHD
  • Like 5

TTR 230 and yz250fx shouldn't even be in the same sentence....  :naughty:

How big are you?  Maybe consider something like a kx/yz 125 2 stroke and move on from there when your ready if the budget is limited.   At least it would have a real suspension and some power and will weigh half what the 230 weighs.  The only thing ttr230s are good for is rental bikes for tourists...lol.  Almost anything is a better choice...

Edited by Nevada Al
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nevada Al said:

How big are you?  Maybe consider something like a kx/yz 125 2 stroke and move on from there when your ready if the budget is limited.   At least it would have a real suspension and some power and will weigh half what the 230 weighs.  The only thing ttr230s are good for is rental bikes for tourists...lol.  Almost anything is a better choice...

Maybe all he is is a tourist???  :excuseme:

I'm about 5'6" 135lb. I kinda want to stick to a yamaha, I don't know why, guess I got some brand loyalty. I also do trail riding. I've never even been to a track, but it sounds fun so I want the yz250fx 'cause it's suposed to be great for both race and trail. From what I know, the yz125 Is a race bike. I'm a right? As for the ttr230. Thanks for the advice. Never owned one so I wouldn't know. Lol

8 minutes ago, DirtbikeBradley said:

I'm about 5'6" 135lb. I kinda want to stick to a yamaha, I don't know why, guess I got some brand loyalty. I also do trail riding. I've never even been to a track, but it sounds fun so I want the yz250fx 'cause it's suposed to be great for both race and trail. From what I know, the yz125 Is a race bike. I'm a right? As for the ttr230. Thanks for the advice. Never owned one so I wouldn't know. Lol

All good, yeah you would be the perfect size for a 2stroke 125...   Any bike worth riding is a race bike. The YZ250fx is also a race bike.... I ride a new yz250x and it's a race bike too, before that a yz250 and yz450 before that, I never ride MX tracks.    The reason I suggest a 125 is they are priced well on the used market, cheap to fix, have great suspensions, and IMO about the best to really learn on and work a clutch that will pay itself forward the rest of your life...Set it up for trail riding and off you go... If you like 4 strokes yz250f ect that's fine but be very careful buying those the used market in 2-4K range they are expensive to fix those engines turn very high rpms....     Now with that said, there are also 4 stroke aircooled bikes like the XR400 that are bulletproof but again lacking in suspension and heavy on weight... Though much better in both departments than a ttr 250.    

Good of luck if you have the cash for YZ250FX go for it!   Great bike 

• Like 1

I would stick to the ttr 125. I have one and that beautiful blueberry has led me to over 10 national championships. 6 Baja 1000 wins and a few Dakar wins. That thing is an absolute powerhouse and I would hate the thought of someone abandoning one for some donkey dong 250.

Cheerio!

• Like 2

I would stick to the ttr 125. I have one and that beautiful blueberry has led me to over 10 national championships. 6 Baja 1000 wins and a few Dakar wins. That thing is an absolute powerhouse and I would hate the thought of someone abandoning one for some donkey dong 250.

Cheerio!

What mods have you done to yours? I feel like it is just too small, but then again, I do love the bike.

On 9/28/2017 at 9:39 AM, Cam_alexander said:

Cheerio!

At least you never had to refuel during any of those events on the TTR125. :D Well maybe a few quick pitstops when you iron manned the Baja 1,000 mile race six times! :worthy:

At least you never had to refuel during any of those events on the TTR125. [emoji3] Well maybe a few quick pitstops when you iron manned the Baja 1,000 mile race six times! :worthy:

You certainly do have a point. My ttr-126 (bored out) gets pretty good mileage however when I switch into sport mode for my races I tend to go through gas a bit quicker. My solution to this was getting a Clarke 38 gallon desert tank. It is a bit cumbersome and heavy but I feel it keeps me planted and minimizes my air time thus allowing me to run a faster clip.
  • Like 2

You certainly do have a point. My ttr-126 (bored out) gets pretty good mileage however when I switch into sport mode for my races I tend to go through gas a bit quicker. My solution to this was getting a Clarke 38 gallon desert tank. It is a bit cumbersome and heavy but I feel it keeps me planted and minimizes my air time thus allowing me to run a faster clip.

What other mods have you done?

20 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

But elsewhere I read the 2 into 1 header was the hot setup? :confused:

I misspoke.  It's actually a dual exhaust port head that utilizes a 2 into 1 exhaust header for maximum scavenging and that 8,000rpm to 11,000rpm power surge that occurs when the twin carbs reach total fuel emulsion which results in the engines peak volumetric efficiency. 

• Like 2