Main relay

Anyone know where I can purchase the main relay for my 04'. CA1a-DC12v-C i was really trying to avoid going to the bike shop. I found some online but the numbers dont quite match, if the pin outs and voltage are the same will they work?

22 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

you mean your starter relay ?

No the starter is on the back right with the fuse, the main relay supposedly just controls the tail light and sits on the back left and doesnt have a fuse

The ECU controls the ground on that relay so if the relay is not working check to see if it has voltage. A red wire comes from the fuse in the starter relay and provide power to the relay coil and the load. The black wire goes to the tail light and the fan connector near the right radiator. The green wire grounds the relay coil and goes to a bullet connector at the ECU.

If you ground the green wire you should be able to feel the relay operate and see the tail light illuminate.

10 hours ago, Chuck. said:

The ECU controls the ground on that relay so if the relay is not working check to see if it has voltage. A red wire comes from the fuse in the starter relay and provide power to the relay coil and the load. The black wire goes to the tail light and the fan connector near the right radiator. The green wire grounds the relay coil and goes to a bullet connector at the ECU.

If you ground the green wire you should be able to feel the relay operate and see the tail light illuminate.

When you say ecu are you talking about the relay on the back left or the control unit near the starter relay on the right?

31 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

No, the engine control module (ECM), it has two six pin connectors plus a lone green wire for the main relay.
Do you have the Owner's Manual? It has a wiring diagram.

Do you mean the ignition control module? Thats all i see in the manual

The 2004 / 2005 model year bikes are shown to have an extra relay versus the 2006-current bikes.

Any chance your manual is newer and doesn't match the year of your bike ('04) ?

Referred to as 'MAIN RELAY' in the 04-05 diagram of the service manual,

yet doesn't seem to be listed on the online microfiche (parts pit stop.com)

Edited by mlatour