My first 2 smoker

Howdy y'all, I just recently picked up my first 2 stroke dirt bike and I will admit it does need some work done, but overall it's in great shape.  It's a 2001 yz250 and one thing I've noticed is that the bike does not stay at idle and I have to constantly give it gas to keep it running.  I did notice cracks in the carb boot which I thought could quite possibly lead to an air leak, but could that be the culprit to my idle problem?  One other thing I have noticed is that when giving it gas and holding it at a steady position, the RPMs can spring up fairly high for the amount of throttle I give it which I do not believe is normal.  Any help is appreciated and I'm still pretty fresh to the 2stroke world and still learning as I go so don't bash me if I am incorrect lol. Thanks.  

Welcome to WHYZEE's.

That is possible the culprit. You will be best off it you go through the whole bike and repalce all the seals, do a carb kit, set the float height, buy a couple air filters, trans oil, and a good mix for your fuel.

Your in CA I see, South or North. Me, I am in Silverado OC, moving to AZ soon.

If you have an air leak don't run the bike till you fix it...  replace the air boot and rebuild/clean the carb and check float height and find out what jets are in it then consult the jetting thread to make sure they are appropriate for your elevation and climate.

Welcome to WHYZEE's.
That is possible the culprit. You will be best off it you go through the whole bike and repalce all the seals, do a carb kit, set the float height, buy a couple air filters, trans oil, and a good mix for your fuel.
Your in CA I see, South or North. Me, I am in Silverado OC, moving to AZ soon.

Thanks for the reply. I'm located on Nor Cal btw. Do you recommend any websites for parts or anything of that nature?

If you have an air leak don't run the bike till you fix it...  replace the air boot and rebuild/clean the carb and check float height and find out what jets are in it then consult the jetting thread to make sure they are appropriate for your elevation and climate.

Appreciate the reply man. I just took off the clutch cover and I saw a bunch of what appeared to be sand at the bottom of the case. That's gotta lead to more severe problems right? :/

6 hours ago, KillMil01 said:

Howdy y'all, I just recently picked up my first 2 stroke dirt bike and I will admit it does need some work done, but overall it's in great shape.  It's a 2001 yz250 and one thing I've noticed is that the bike does not stay at idle and I have to constantly give it gas to keep it running.  I did notice cracks in the carb boot which I thought could quite possibly lead to an air leak, but could that be the culprit to my idle problem?  One other thing I have noticed is that when giving it gas and holding it at a steady position, the RPMs can spring up fairly high for the amount of throttle I give it which I do not believe is normal.  Any help is appreciated and I'm still pretty fresh to the 2stroke world and still learning as I go so don't bash me if I am incorrect lol. Thanks.  

First thing to do to a second hand bike is removecarb and check jetting. If the pilot is bigger then a 45 it's to rich 

googole spanky's jetting guide and start with the basics 

have you simply tried to turn the idle screw to make it idle ?

10 hours ago, KillMil01 said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm located on Nor Cal btw. Do you recommend any websites for parts or anything of that nature?

OEM parts and aftermarket parts can be had at RMATV/MC (Rocky Mountain ATV/MC). OEM only (hard parts) partshark dot com or boats dot com. Ebay will be best for new plastics/graphics, and overpriced OEM you can get used.

10 hours ago, KillMil01 said:

Appreciate the reply man. I just took off the clutch cover and I saw a bunch of what appeared to be sand at the bottom of the case. That's gotta lead to more severe problems right? :/

Hopefully that is just clutch material, make sure it's not metallic with a magnet. You can pull the clutch basket and flush the bottom end with diesel, or fuel and motor oil mix (just more oil than fuel) and repeat till it looks clean.

If it is metallic, and or sand, you could have a problem. 

42 minutes ago, 2 STOKE YZ DOC said:

OEM parts and aftermarket parts can be had at RMATV/MC (Rocky Mountain ATV/MC). OEM only (hard parts) partshark dot com or boats dot com. Ebay will be best for new plastics/graphics, and overpriced OEM you can get used.

Hopefully that is just clutch material, make sure it's not metallic with a magnet. You can pull the clutch basket and flush the bottom end with diesel, or fuel and motor oil mix (just more oil than fuel) and repeat till it looks clean.

If it is metallic, and or sand, you could have a problem. 

Welcome to the 2-smoker forum!! I might be able to help you with a couple things since I own a 97 yz125 and i believe there were the same up to 01. But you should defiantly go to yz doc, Hes a real BIKE saver (cringe). But welcome my man hit us up if you have any questions!

13 hours ago, KillMil01 said:

Sand? If you live in Cali could it possibly be a dunes bike, If sand is inside the clutch, it probably in a lot of other places and that could be your biggest problem

Sand? If you live in Cali could it possibly be a dunes bike, If sand is inside the clutch, it probably in a lot of other places and that could be your biggest problem

IMG_1506469248.132623.jpg This is what I was looking at last night. Whether or not it's sand, I know it's not supposed to be there.

That looks to be the magneto (left side of engine?), not the clutch.

Sand could have made it's way in there by pressure washing too close, forcing it past a seal / gasket.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

That looks to be the magneto side, not the clutch.

Sand could have made it's way in there by pressure washing too close, forcing it past a seal / gasket.

Yeah I just found that out now lol. Is it still bad or is it something that I don't have to worry about too much?

Not much of a problem on that side, just make sure all seals and gaskets are in good condition.

Even very careful while washing I occasionally get a bit of sand under the magneto cover of my YZ125 as well.

Do yourself a favor, get a factory service manual, read it over a few times to get familiar with the bike.

Can be found free to download online.

Likely 90% of your future technical questions are already answered in there.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Not much of a problem on that side, just make sure all seals and gaskets are in good condition.
Even very careful while washing I occasionally get a bit of sand under the magneto cover of my YZ125 as well.

Do yourself a favor, get a factory service manual, read it over a few times to get familiar with the bike.
Can be found free to download online.
Likely 90% of your future technical questions are already answered in there.

Thanks man, that helps out a lot. I will look into getting myself a service manual very soon.

11 hours ago, KillMil01 said:

IMG_1506469248.132623.jpg This is what I was looking at last night. Whether or not it's sand, I know it's not supposed to be there.

that doesn't look toooo bad, if the sand is hard and kinda stuck to the bike it probably wasn't cleaned(witch also gives a sign of no care for the bike),how ever if the sand is loose and it'll wipe right off it'll be fine

Nice buy, have fun with it and change the oil and air filter regularly.

DO NOT Worry about that 'sand' in you picture. THat side of the bike covers the flywheel. When I put a gytr flywheel on my 2017 yz250x, it had 1.6 hours on it and there was dirt in there too. Just a little. It blows by the seal on most bikes.

Wipe it off and make sure the case is on smoothly.

• Like 2