2011 CRF450R XC Valving

I have a 2011 CRF450R that I am setting up for east coast hare scramble racing. 

I am 6'1", 210 lbs, C-level.

Currently I struggle with my bike on roots, braking bumps, and rocks with the front end being very pogo-stick like. So I like to be able to get deflection under control and improve front end stability. 

I have .50 springs up front and 0.49kg in the rear. I don't currently have any issues with the rear end. 

Does anyone have some Valving stacks I could try with the forks?

So I pulled my basevalve apart and measured the shims. The Base Valve is a single stage stack, and I understand that a dual stage typically works better for woods/xc. 

How does the rebound stacks look? The top number is the one closest to the cup with the holes in it (or farthest away from the washer separating the BV stack and the rebound. 

See attached pic. 

Screenshot_20170928-223744.thumb.png.157381e0aa084b260df47199feaf8b21.png

That is not a rebound stack. This stack is called bleedstack or subvalve.
Strip the MV/reb too and post the stacks.
Your BV has been changed (softened), so probably your mv/reb has been changed too.

You're right, I forgot the name of the stack that was below the BV. I had thought it was the rebound stack. So thanks for the clarification. 

Yes, I plan to look at the midvalve stacks later on this evening to see what is going on there. 

But looks like (5) face shims were removed, a 22.22 shim was replaced with a 22.11, and the 18.15 replaced by a 18.1 on the BV stack. Then on the subvalve, a 22.11 shim was removed. 

• Like 1

Ok, got the MV pulled apart. See attached for Rebound and MV stacks. They look fairly close to stock with some slight changes. 

Anyone know what the float is? I'm used to a removable collar from the older show tc forks. The collar for the midvalve are fixed/nonremovable.Screenshot_20170929-215540.thumb.png.17a09efcf5e6d1e223d08b8d49308320.png

Looks soft on comp and has a lot of rebound already?

I was actually off on the base valve stack. It had 14 - 30.11 face shims, rather than 12. 

Anyways, dogger hooked me up with a 2 stage setup to try. Got it all done last night and hoping to maybe give it a try this weekend if the rain holds off. Basically the midvalve and rebound were left stock, and just changed up the BV stack. I'll report back one I try it out. 

I raced a 09 crf450r in gncc off-road stuff for a few years awhile back. Im 6 foot 205 lbs. I tried .50 fork springs but settled on .48s. I was apprehensive but my suspension guy suggested it and it worked well. 

I ran a 5.7kg rear spring. I don't remember the stacks and I do have a setup I liked written down. If I find it I'll pm u the stacks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Polishhammer said:

I raced a 09 crf450r in gncc off-road stuff for a few years awhile back. Im 6 foot 205 lbs. I tried .50 fork springs but settled on .48s. I was apprehensive but my suspension guy suggested it and it worked well. 

I ran a 5.7kg rear spring. I don't remember the stacks and I do have a setup I liked written down. If I find it I'll pm u the stacks.

Sounds great! I'd be curious to see what you came up with. 

As far as spring rates, I am running 0.50 up front and 5.9 In the rear. I am 210-215 lbs fresh out of the shower, and 6'1".

I do have access to .46 and .48 fork springs. But I'll have to buy a new shock spring if I try something softer. 

A suspension guy in my area that does a lot of bikes for the hare scramble race series I'm in actually suggested 0.46 up front and 5.6 in the rear. Seems like it would be way too soft though? 

On 10/7/2017 at 7:12 PM, YHGEORGE said:

Shock spring sounds very soft to me and out of balance with the forks.

I checked with factory connection to see what they recommend for my weight, height and riding type, and they actually recommended the 0.50/5.9 springs, front and rear. But I know spring rates can be somewhat of a personal preference deal.