Lack of 2018 Green Sticker 450's? Sunset of Red Sticker program?

While doing some browsing/research about various models, I noticed that there are no longer any green sticker 450's for the 2018 model year of all the manufacturers (at least according to https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2018/2018.php)

While I'm sure KTM/Husqvarna will come out with their 450 EXC's that are green stickered in the US, I still question the lack of green sticker 450's from the Japanese manufacturers.

Was there some sort of regulatory change or did the manufacturers just decide to pull the 2018 green stickers for some secret reason we don't know about? One of the biggest selling points of the WR450F in CA was the fact that it's green sticker, and now that they're no longer green sticker there really is no incentive to pick one up anymore.

Does this have something to do with the sunset of the red sticker program? Is this actually going to happen? https://www.arb.ca.gov/board/books/2017/062217/17-6-3pres.pdf

Edited by MXT

KTMs are plated or RED...  everyone else going RED...  looks like CARB is up to something...  if all the green bikes go away for plated or red then second step they just outlaw red as non compliant on public lands... POOF no more cheap dirt bikes.  Pay $11,000-13,000 for a plated smog bike or don't ride unless it's at a private track... until they regulate all the tracks out of business.

That's all speculation on my part but I think it's where we are headed.

As long as the Jerry-crats maintain their 2/3 majority they can do just about anything they want.  The Ca citizens aka Lemmings are watching all reason leave this state on a daily basis.  It's the most amazing silent take over of a society as I've ever seen. Blows my mind how few notice or care. :facepalm:

• Like 11

What the heck do these people want?  What is their end game.    I bet most of these carb geeks drive big suv's.

Is is their goal to simply find more ways to continually reduce emissions.  I mean, they take, and take and take and take.   Does it ever end?   

Well, I think their end game is to eliminate OHV's in the state of California LOL

Looking at that graph, they try comparing the amount of carbon emissions from a passenger vehicle traveling across the country to a two stroke and a four stroke dirt bike. I mean if you think about it, part of the reason why a passenger vehicle has such low emissions is because of the catalytic converters -- whereas our bikes don't have such a thing.

Their end-game is to stop recreational trail riders from using the "red sticker loop-hole" to ride non-compliant race bikes. As I read it the Red Sticker program was to allow competition riders to practice on public lands.. not to allow most trail riders to ride a competition level bike. 

But this is a long term goal, still in the planning stages. Even if it all goes forward the current Red Sticker bikes will get grandfathered in as a Green Sticker. 

In the distant future it will be more like the Euro model - Street or OHV all pass the same pollution standards. OHV models will still exist but just lack the lights for street. 

I expect to be too old to care by the time my grandfathered in 2T is end-of-life.  

• Like 3

I think the lack of Green Sticker 450s especially Japanese models plays to the same issue as - why are there no new plated Japanese dirt bikes or dual sports. 

Just too much effort for them to get the bike to pass standards for too few bikes sold. I saw a sales chart that showed sales of many models in the 100s of bikes, nation wide for a whole year. 

Edited by DrKayak

Jap bikes are MX track bike builders at heart. they are not interested in offroad

• Like 1

I wonder what the bulk price for pitchforks from alibaba....I think we are going need them. 

• Like 3

Does anyone know if you'll still be able to buy used red sticker bikes if they sunset the program?

I see the value of all of the current red sticker bikes going up if that's the case...

You would assume all would be grandfathered...  but when they retroactively outlawed hicap mags it set a new precedent.  If they can take away a product you bought legally once...  they can do it again. 

Anything can happen if the PUBLIC won't do anything about it.

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt

6 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Anything can happen and the PUBLIC can't do anything about it.

^^ fixed .

Sometimes I read these positive tidbits of what I think are tiny victories for us.... but it's really just a slow losing game for our side every time . 

Really feel bad for our grand kids but if they were smart like we should be they would live in a different state and just come here to poach and visit  .

This state is doomed to forever be the land of way to many BS laws to protect Joe Schmo that never leaves the house .

No offense Schmo.

• Like 4

The problem we have now is that the Jerry-crats 2/3 majority is running at full throttle to convert this state at an incredibly accelerated rate...  faster than ever before...  the voters have done it to themselves...  and will regret whats been done...  but it will be too little too late.  What might have been 20 years of liberal politicking is now going down in just a single term.  I'm telling you guys shit has hit the fan and most don't even know it.  Not even the liberal citizens of this state are gonna like the fallout in just a few years when they finally are confronted with whats been done to them.

I just hope the life I've constructed out of the city...  off grid...  under the radar...  half in and half out of the financial system...  away from agencies that have any interest in controlling me is enough to sustain whats left of my life on this rock.   It just might not be. :excuseme:

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, still2smokin said:

^^ fixed .

Sometimes I read these positive tidbits of what I think are tiny victories for us.... but it's really just a slow losing game for our side every time . 

Really feel bad for our grand kids but if they were smart like we should be they would live in a different state and just come here to poach and visit  .

This state is doomed to forever be the land of way to many BS laws to protect Joe Schmo that never leaves the house .

Wow, you hate Joe, huh. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MXT said:

Does anyone know if you'll still be able to buy used red sticker bikes if they sunset the program?

I see the value of all of the current red sticker bikes going up if that's the case...

Based on the old model, yes, pre 2002 Green Sticker 2-strokes are still bought and sold freely. You just have to watch what happens over the next few years. 

Keep in mind KTM is developing Fuel Injection on their 2-strokes to meet Euro clean air standards. 2-strokes are street legal in parts of Europe. I think that's where these CARB changes are headed --- Street Legal 2-Strokes for all :thumbsup:

Or you can believe the voice of Fear.... :cry:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

You would assume all would be grandfathered...  but when they retroactively outlawed hicap mags it set a new precedent.  If they can take away a product you bought legally once...  they can do it again. 

Anything can happen if the PUBLIC won't do anything about it.

Thankfully that was blocked by the courts. Magazines are safe for now.

I actually really want to pick up one of those two stroke injected bikes at some point, but if CA won't let me then I guess I'll have to move :D

I was hoping that they'd be green sticker considering they're supposed to meet EURO 4 IIRC

6 hours ago, GVRider said:

Thankfully that was blocked by the courts. Magazines are safe for now.

Yea but they will still come take the rifles on January 1st.  Better get rid of that pesky hand grip, sliding stock and the flash hider or its jail time!!!

Edited by bnr

7 hours ago, DrKayak said:

Based on the old model, yes, pre 2002 Green Sticker 2-strokes are still bought and sold freely. You just have to watch what happens over the next few years. 

Keep in mind KTM is developing Fuel Injection on their 2-strokes to meet Euro clean air standards. 2-strokes are street legal in parts of Europe. I think that's where these CARB changes are headed --- Street Legal 2-Strokes for all :thumbsup:

Or you can believe the voice of Fear.... :cry:

Ya...  cause it always works out Unicorns eating Reese's Pieces and snuggling with ET when we don't worry about it....  Jerry has our best interests at heart fo-sho !

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

• Like 1

Wow that sucks even the 2018 250F is red.  At least 2017 and prior or Greenies.  That will bring the value of those bikes up.  Yamaha might as well stop selling these bikes if they cant get them green.  Well ARB is just not getting their bribe money like they do from KTM and Husky.  

You know KTM sponsors D36 and have a HQ here, so you know they are getting some lobby money from them.

Edited by vizcarmb