G2 Quick Turn plus Jimmy Twister-initial review=awesome!

I had ordered a quick turn throttle from G2.  I already had one of their aluminum throttle tubes but they sent me an entire throttle housing, the tube and the quick turn cam.  Upon initial install, there was no slack or freeplay in the throttle cable and as a result, the motor would not start as with the FI, if the signal is sent/received that the TB is open, the motor won't fire.  Once I simply left off the round knurled locknut that threads into the threaded brass adjuster that goes into the throtle housing, there was then enough slack so that the bike both starts and one has just enough freeplay so when doing anything off-throttle the throttle doesn't get whacked on by accident.  Leaving off the locknut is the key and the rubber cone that slides over the brass adjuster covers it right up.  

The Jimmy Twister is also really nice.  It allows the aluminum throttle housing to ride on the sealed ball bearings instead of the delrin insert dragging against the handlebar end.  The delrin(uhmw-plasitc) is better than plastic on metal or metal on metal but the sealed ball bearings win.  The twist is as smooth as I could ever want.  I can't go back to not having it now that I've been able to use it.  

The 1/8-turn throttle is a revelation.  I now know why some have given the 500 RR-S the name "Gentle Giant", and at the same time others lament its relative lack of grunt/torque/power down low in the rev range, it is because the amount of twist needed to get the bike moving is so much that by the time power comes on, ones wrist is so far round that it seems that there is nothing to the motor off idle and at midrange.  With the quick turn, forget about all that.  It wakes the beast right up.    Gentle giant my ass.  It is now the Rip Roarin Superbike!  RR-S.  

With the quick turn, the hit is now much more immediate and is the reason why I went 500 and not 430 or 390.  It is the hit I wanted and now I finally have it.  It is amazing how much more responsive the bike is now compared to the stock throttle cam.  I now have a brand new motor and a power upgrade.  I also have a spare so that when my superhuman strength fades like Lamar Odom in a Nevada brothel, I can put the stock cam back on and trundle along in controllableness.  

The only thing I might do is shave off some of the brass threaded adjuster that goes into the throttle housing to get just a bit more free play in the throttle tube.   For those that want more response, you're only $100 or so away from it.  

P1120990.JPG

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 1

It is now verified, the quick turn throttle and the Jimmy Twister are awesome on the trails.  

I can now, finally lug in 1st gear/idle, twist and then shout as the power I need and want simply comes on with a minimum of fuss and twisting.  I consider myself VERY fortunate that I don't need a throttle tamer as I could never go the other way.  The more time I spend on the bike, the better it has been getting as I'm now closing in on 1,600 miles and 75 hours since new.  

I was out yesterday-another mid-week ride with no one on the trails or parking area but us, with my buddy who has his 380 EXC.  The riding area was completely new to us but was by far, the best area in all of New England, Beartown State Forest.  We rode 56 miles and never the same trail twice but no matter the trail, the quick turn was perfect.  It shone in any full-throttle call-up and as I acclimated to the quick turn in the slow stuff really fast, I found no negative to the much quicker ramp-up to the 500 RR-S' power.  Slow, rocky/rooty, uphill, steep-it didn't matter.  Did I say that the quick-twist is great yet?  

Some pics of yesterday's ride:

The view, looking West, off Mt. Wilcox-looking out at New York.  

P1130011.JPG

P1130008.JPG

P1130003.JPG

I love this 500 RR-S.  

P1130009.JPG

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, NEGbrap said:

I live in NH and have never heard of Beartown State Forest. Do I need a mass offroad reg? Or are the trails considered roads, since I have my 2018 300RR plated.

Here is the list/link to all the state forests in MA that are legal to ride, you are learning today:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/recreational-activities/off-road-vehicles.html

I've been to Beartown, October Mtn and Pittsfield.  Beartown is the best, October Mountain is 2nd.  

One is supposed to have a set of decals for each side of the bike.  

I never knew about Hopkinton Everett State Forest/ HopEv or Clough as it is known until a few years ago when my buddy got ATV's.  It is now my go-to place.  The fire roads and dirt roads were epic.  Best I have ever ridden by far.  

Where in NH are you?  Next time we go out there, come with us.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

17 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Here is the list/link to all the state forests in MA that are legal to ride, you are learning today:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/recreational-activities/off-road-vehicles.html

I've been to Beartown, October Mtn and Pittsfield.  Beartown is the best, October Mountain is 2nd.  

One is supposed to have a set of decals for each side of the bike.  

I never knew about Hopkinton Everett State Forest/ HopEv or Clough as it is known until a few years ago when my buddy got ATV's.  It is now my go-to place.  The fire roads and dirt roads were epic.  Best I have ever ridden by far.  

Where in NH are you?  Next time we go out there, come with us.  

I live in Manchester, about 15 minutes from the mass boarder. I mostly ride the single track at Clough with a couple buddies, and a spot near by which im trying to renew my written permission for. It seems hard to find places to ride unless you are part of a private group like Merrimack Valley Trail Riders. I can't make there Wednesday night meetings so I'm not meeting any new people or finding any new places to brap!

Beartown looks like a trip, but I would be down to go. PM me your info.

14 minutes ago, highmarker said:

my carbed crf the quick turn gave me an occasional cough bog I didn't have before, had to re-tune the ap .  They do make the throttle spring tension tighter,  unwound the return spring a little.  Have also used magura two stroke single cable throttles to do the same thing on fourstrokes.

The beauty of this 2017 500 RR-S is that it is fuel injected.  I have had not a single issue-other than when the bike was very new, with fueling and the new throttle works perfectly with the quick turn.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NEGbrap said:

I live in Manchester, about 15 minutes from the mass boarder. I mostly ride the single track at Clough with a couple buddies, and a spot near by which im trying to renew my written permission for. It seems hard to find places to ride unless you are part of a private group like Merrimack Valley Trail Riders. I can't make there Wednesday night meetings so I'm not meeting any new people or finding any new places to brap!

Beartown looks like a trip, but I would be down to go. PM me your info.

You are close to me as I'm in Methuen and I'm just 25 miles from Naults and 47 to HopEv/Clough.  

Clough is great.  If you can ride the hard trails on Clough, you can ride anywhere.  90% of the trails in Beartown were great, which is what I love.  It is just that it is so far out there, exit 2 off the Mass Pike, but if one has the time, it is worth the drive as the entire area is massive.  

Beartown is 160 miles from me in Methuen, a 2 1/2 hour drive.  I'll PM you with my email for sure.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

43 minutes ago, NW_drZ said:

1st gear on a 500 sounds scary emoji6.png

On a serious note, glad that is working for you man! Seems most are going the other way and taming it.

1st gear, with 13/48 and the quick turn is not that bad at all.  Sure, it can get away quick but it's just so much that unless I need to get up a rocky hill it is quick up into 2nd gear for most everywhere.  

When it comes down to it, I have found that gears 1-3 are almost of no use for acceleration.  I have to get to 4th before I can really pour it on as all the rear tire will do in the first 3 gears is spin, once I get to 4th, 5th, and oh my goodness, the top of 6th-which has been rare but on long, straight fire roads, the tops of 4th and 5th are just insane-o.  

There are definitely more that want to tame than to unleash.  I'd just be stuck all over the trails with a tamer.  It would never work for me.  As it is, I know I can't go back to the stock cam.  At least I'm now thrilled and don't need anything else for my bike, for now.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

• 2 weeks later...

I had one of these installed on my 2017 430RRS with the BYOB and with the 13/49 gearing it is quite a thrill.  The power hit is so quick and awesome, it can get a bit scary in the tight/technical stuff.  I almost always have the bike in the "rain" mode to tame it down a bit..but when I want that kind of power, just put on the "sunny" mode and hang on.  At first it was somewhat intimidating, and it does take some time to get used to it...even in the rain mode.  Now that I know the limitations(good and bad)of such a device, it's staying.  It really is a badass add-on option and does bring out the beast in these large bore 4 strokes.

4 hours ago, pacoalcracker said:

I had one of these installed on my 2017 430RRS with the BYOB and with the 13/49 gearing it is quite a thrill.  The power hit is so quick and awesome, it can get a bit scary in the tight/technical stuff.  I almost always have the bike in the "rain" mode to tame it down a bit..but when I want that kind of power, just put on the "sunny" mode and hang on.  At first it was somewhat intimidating, and it does take some time to get used to it...even in the rain mode.  Now that I know the limitations(good and bad)of such a device, it's staying.  It really is a badass add-on option and does bring out the beast in these large bore 4 strokes.

Yes, it takes us that want the hit/can handle the hit.  Thank goodness I still have it, want it and crave it.  

I was so psyched to get another sweet day on the trails and the QT gets better and better.  I know now that if I were to ever need a replacement throttle tube, I'd have to get another quick turn as I can now not go back to a regular turn.  

Knowing what I know now, I would have gone with the throttle, and the 13T front sprocket but it is good that our Beta's ship with the 13T and the 15T installed.  I'm also glad that the bike came the way it did so I got to try both the regular turn throttle and the 15T front sprocket.  Now I know.  

I live in Massachusetts.  There are only like 4-5 state forests that we can ride in legally.  There are about the same amount in New Hampshire.  

We drove 150 miles yesterday to go to the best riding trails I have ever ridden in my life so the drive is worth it.  

I got the RR-S so I could commute the 12 mile daily round trip I have, and so if I am on legal trails, then want to ride all the dirt roads, I can.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I live in Massachusetts.  There are only like 4-5 state forests that we can ride in legally.  There are about the same amount in New Hampshire.  

We drove 150 miles yesterday to go to the best riding trails I have ever ridden in my life so the drive is worth it.  

I got the RR-S so I could commute the 12 mile daily round trip I have, and so if I am on legal trails, then want to ride all the dirt roads, I can.  

Fair enough. I ride to my trails. But most of them are only about 100 miles away. Here in CA I'm odd man out. Most of the guys around here truck their plated bikes everywhere. I got my plated bike to ride. Not set in the back of my truck eating donuts and drinking coffee.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2017 at 4:45 AM, Ben500RR-S said:

I had ordered a quick turn throttle from G2.  I already had one of their aluminum throttle tubes but they sent me an entire throttle housing, the tube and the quick turn cam.  Upon initial install, there was no slack or freeplay in the throttle cable and as a result, the motor would not start as with the FI, if the signal is sent/received that the TB is open, the motor won't fire.  Once I simply left off the round knurled locknut that threads into the threaded brass adjuster that goes into the throtle housing, there was then enough slack so that the bike both starts and one has just enough freeplay so when doing anything off-throttle the throttle doesn't get whacked on by accident.  Leaving off the locknut is the key and the rubber cone that slides over the brass adjuster covers it right up.  

The Jimmy Twister is also really nice.  It allows the aluminum throttle housing to ride on the sealed ball bearings instead of the delrin insert dragging against the handlebar end.  The delrin(uhmw-plasitc) is better than plastic on metal or metal on metal but the sealed ball bearings win.  The twist is as smooth as I could ever want.  I can't go back to not having it now that I've been able to use it.  

The 1/8-turn throttle is a revelation.  I now know why some have given the 500 RR-S the name "Gentle Giant", and at the same time others lament its relative lack of grunt/torque/power down low in the rev range, it is because the amount of twist needed to get the bike moving is so much that by the time power comes on, ones wrist is so far round that it seems that there is nothing to the motor off idle and at midrange.  With the quick turn, forget about all that.  It wakes the beast right up.    Gentle giant my ass.  It is now the Rip Roarin Superbike!  RR-S.  

With the quick turn, the hit is now much more immediate and is the reason why I went 500 and not 430 or 390.  It is the hit I wanted and now I finally have it.  It is amazing how much more responsive the bike is now compared to the stock throttle cam.  I now have a brand new motor and a power upgrade.  I also have a spare so that when my superhuman strength fades like Lamar Odom in a Nevada brothel, I can put the stock cam back on and trundle along in controllableness.  

The only thing I might do is shave off some of the brass threaded adjuster that goes into the throttle housing to get just a bit more free play in the throttle tube.   For those that want more response, you're only $100 or so away from it.  

P1120990.JPG

Did you use part # 50-300D ?

I'm not sure of the part number, I'll have to look but here is how my purchase went down:

I ordered right from G2.  They called me to confirm that the quick turn is what I wanted as most want the tamer.  I had verified that the QT is what I wanted.  They said that they would send me both the aluminum throttle tube-which is what I had originally ordered, along with the QT cam and I had also ordered the Jimmy Twister.  They said they'd ship me the throttle housing that the QT cam would fit in for free.  I was very happy with the deal.  

The QT cam will not fit in our OEM 4Stroke throttle housings.  The QT must have the 2T throttle housing to work.  

18 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I'm not sure of the part number, I'll have to look but here is how my purchase went down:

I ordered right from G2.  They called me to confirm that the quick turn is what I wanted as most want the tamer.  I had verified that the QT is what I wanted.  They said that they would send me both the aluminum throttle tube-which is what I had originally ordered, along with the QT cam and I had also ordered the Jimmy Twister.  They said they'd ship me the throttle housing that the QT cam would fit in for free.  I was very happy with the deal.  

The QT cam will not fit in our OEM 4Stroke throttle housings.  The QT must have the 2T throttle housing to work.  

I ordered the 4t quick turn a while back, but it was for the carb version. They told me it would work....but it's dual cable, so I put the system away for dealing with it another day.

Fast forward 7 months, I contact them, and they are sending me a 'quick turn for the FI usin an aluminum tube' and I will pay the difference from the one they previously sent me.

He was unable to give me a model number, which I find insane....but whatever.

Interesting. It’s really depending on what you’re riding that determines setup. What I love about Beta from my first being my 525 was how the bikes hooked up and how the power was so smooth and controlled great for technical... especially super slippery clay mud type. I purposely did next to nothing to change the motor manners. The only thing I did was put an fmf slip on, gear further down and put on the power now intake. All of it was very subtle. I’m sure making the bike way more responsive is fun though. It’s sounding like a full on burner . I remember Chazmanian talking about his scary fast Ktm 525 setup. I liked his trick super aggressive bike but knew that what I like about Beta for what I ride wasn’t his setup. I bet if I rode where you guys are which seems a hell of a lot more dry, I’d like this quick turn throttle. 

This is the type of thread we 1st gen rfs Beta enduro guys were looking at for ideas for mods..I guess that’s much longer a time ago I guess. 8 yrs??ok 9.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

At least for all the rock gardens and slow, twisty, mini-whooped out woods trails that I ride, I've totally adapted to the QT and don't even notice the slight decrease in free play in the throttle.  

I'm lucky that I don't have any wrist/arm/hand issues (yet) for which many need a QT or they woudl not be able to ride, but where I notice the QT the most is on the wide open grass fields, getting to WOT is instant-and a hoot to boot.  

I really enjoy knowing that in first gear, no matter how steep or gnarly the trail might get-as we've been exploring so many new and unknown trails, that between the motor, the gearing and the QT, I know I'm getting up and through anything on the Beta, a new rear tire also helps as does my superior ridin' skillz.  I've got no Ragrets about the QT.  

It is also not like when one gives the throttle any twist that it unleashes the full output of the bike, it just speeds it up a bit.  Like McDonalds, I'm lovin' it.  

• Like 1