Clutch pull rod upgrade?

Has anybody come across a stronger aftermarket clutch pull rod replacement that will last longer than the rubbish that Kawasaki supply , the one on my 2013 klx450 with less than 1000 klms on it just broke where the ball on the clutch cable connects to it , looks like poor design if you ask me , I've had a bit of a search on here but couldn't find the answers I'm looking for , is this a common problem?, I know it's happened to a few people in the past , thanks

IMG_2571.JPG

Righto iv worked out what has gone wrong, not long after i bought this bike it dropped a valve (long story) and I had to get a new top end put on so that got done by the dealership I bought it from , they have put the bracket holding the clutch cable on around the wrong way , instead of the cable pulling the rod straight up it was being pulled sideways which I believe has caused it to break , I'm now arguing the point with them I'll see how I go

• Like 2

It's an easy mistake to make,dealers should know better though,when I first got the bike from new I looked at the bracket and thought surely they have it mounted wrong so I rotated it like they did to yours and the rod snapped on the first clutch pull

Looks to me like you pull the left side cover to get access the the lower cable ball and disconnect it from the lower part of the pull rod.  Please note, one of the stator cover bolts is under the torque limiter. Once you pull the torque limiter, see if you can get to the lower cable ball from there. Probably have to pull the whole cover. Be slow and careful, watch for any shims falling out.

Putting the cover back on I got it close and square but still a little loose and bumped the kick starter while pressing by hand to get the gears to align and drop in that last 1/8".  bump the kick starter a couple times while tightening to make sure the engine is not starting to bind from a part being in the wrong place. (happened to me once)

pull rod.jpg

• Like 1