upgrading a 98 front end.........

I really like the bike, but id like to upgrade the front end over the winter....gonna stick with kyb...48mm....that's about my only requirements.

im thinking of using some SSS forks off a newer Yamaha, id use the whole front wheel and brakes too......what do I need to do triple clamp wise? will another year kx work with the 98 stem? id like to keep the offset the same or close as possible?

or is there another route people use? with new forks!

thanks for the help!

Edited by 800screws

Seriously, your best bet is to get yours revalved.  You would be amazed how well they work when set up correctly.  Send them to Pro Circuit and let them dial them in.  I can give you some bad ass shim stacks too if you want to do it yourself.  I've never worked on the 46mm forks before but I do believe they are very similar to the open cartridge 48's.

Pro Circuit would be able to get you hooked up for less than the cost of new forks, and I am 100% certain what you have will work better than some stock twin chambers off of another bike.  You can also retain your front wheel, brake and triple clamps if you stick with your current forks which is nice.  The open cart forks are also more reliable and consistent since they don't rely on two cartridge rod seals and an ICS piston to keep the damping oil trapped in the cartridge.  Don't jump on the bandwagon just yet.  Everybody likes the KYB SSS because they are very well set up from the factory.  The open cart forks were not great in stock configuration but there is a lot more potential than you think.

• Like 1

I was hoping u would chime in!   at the very least, id like to upgrade to 02-07 kx250 forks...I cant seem to find what offset the 98 triple clamps are? what would be the closest match out of the later kx clamps? to do this with 02-07 forks, I would need to swap my stem, and use the rest of the front end? wheel, brake caliper bracket, forks, and triple clamps? does that sound right?

Edited by 800screws

The 46mm and 48mm are the same fork internally.  They used the 46mm up until 2001 and then the 48mm open cartridge from 02-04 on the 250 and 02-07 on the 125.  There would be no reason to buy another set of forks that is just like the ones you already have.  Used forks often have problems like pitted tubes, worn out coatings and damaged lugs.  If you've got a good set of forks on the bike you're better off working with that.

I don't know your clamp diameters or offset on the 98.  99-01 is a 58.5mm lower and a 56mm upper.  02 is a 59/56 but still uses the 22mm offset like the 99-01.  The problem with boring is maintaining the proper dimensions in line with the upper clamp as well as within the lower clamp as well.  You certainly could hog them out to 59mm but if the lower clamp isn't square its going to focus stress on the fork tube which will cause problems.  Would be a lot of work for a probably bad result.

Mickey Kessler already got into those forks, just send them to him.  You probably just need a service and depending on your weight some new springs.