Hey, long time rider, new to the forum...I came across a 1990 DR650 at a warehouse. The bike had 400 original miles on it. The owner couldn't get it to run, became frustrated with it and sold it to me. I took it home and serviced it, did the valves and built the carb and was riding it the next day. Starting this guy is a chore. I know the prime, kick and start drill but dang is this guy hard to start when its cold. Once it is warmed up it is 1 or 2 kicks. Any advice as to what I can do to help with cold starting??? The bike is bone stock. Has about 800 miles on it now.IMG_0346.thumb.jpg.2531a8605d388e702b8e8137d3310a17.jpg I am almost 60 and my knee will thank you!

in that nice of condition, you could sell it & buy an electric-start machine.

sorry, but i know nothing about these models

I agree, it's in great shape so sell it and buy one that has eStart.  There's a reason why all DR650's since the late 90's have electric start and no kicker.

Wow! What a nice find. Unfortunately, you're not going to get a 650cc motorcycle to kick 'easy'. If you enjoy riding it, sell it and get a 96 or newer like the others have said. You should get a fair amount for that gem. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By g steezy
      Here’s a video of me running the trans Missouri Trail last season. I’m ended up skipping several portions of it because I’m GPS illiterate, but still had a great time. My buddy only ran with me for one day due to a rear tire not being repairable. I’d like to run the entire route again sometime. 
      This is my first real video I ever edited so please keep that in mind. It’s a little long, but if you’re bored feel free to check it out.
    • By g steezy
      Here’s some footage of me and a buddy on our DR650’s out messing around.
    • By DitchRelinquisher650
         Hello all! My name is Miles and I need some help gauging what to expect for condition/"reliability" you could say, of my DRZ400E for cross country travel!
      I am looking into traveling the Trans America Trail. I'm from Rhode Island and found an alternate rout where I can start on the West border of Connecticut. Ending in Colorado, to Nevada, then California; and cruising something along the lines of RT66 back.       [just for reference, don't mean to ramble]
        The Machine: 
               2003 DRZ400-E
      ~6k miles total  -  5k lightly ridden, never seen dirt  -  0.8k %100 hard off road [past year]
      Frequent Oil changes, Air Filter changes {I ride with the guy I purchased it from nearly daily. He was good about maintenance on the regular, but also pushe the bike in the woods just as much!} Front and Rear Suspension rebuilt, carburetor rebuilt all last year Stock everything except FMF power bomb header and exhaust muffler, and Vapor Trail Tech, lights + fork socks Expected Maintenance:
      Top End Rebuild, Timing, Valves adjusted [Have not done compression test, but i would expect new top to be necessary] obvious things such as Brake Pads, Fluids, Chain/Sprockets, Tries, Heavy Tubes  From this information, And Any You Can Think Of To Ask, does this DRZ have potential for the Trans America Trail; a  ~6'000 dirt, then ~4,000 road return trip?! Or would I be better off selling it for a newer model?

• By dalto21

I'm currently considering a 2000 DRZ 400 with 31,000 miles on it. The owner wants $2500 for it but I think I could get it down to $2000 since it's so old. It seems like the owner knew what he was doing and took care of it well since he knew to install a manual cam chain tensioner,  a radiator guard, 3x3 mod, etc. I know the DRZ has a solid motor so I feel like if the bike itself has been well taken care of, it should at least have another 20K miles in it, right? Am I wasting my time with this bike or do you think it will last me if I take good care of it? What would you offer for this bike?
      Here's the post: https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/5989999685.html
    • By RiderOfTheNight
      Hello guys I'm new here.
      I just want to get more information before I decide what to buy.
      I like the drz400 but the seat height is like 930mm or 950mm ? I'm 5ft8 (33in inseam) 35.5in with boots
      My friend got drz400s and I tried to sit on the seat
      Like this one
      there is actually no issue but I can barely touch the ground with my full foot I stand with my toes
      Is there anything I can do to decrease the seatheight by 2in's or more? that would be cool
      Or I should get drz650 which is the seat length is 880mm ?
      I really didn't like the 650