4 posts in this topic
I’ve got a 2000 DR650 with 23k miles that I’ve owned for the last 4 years. I consider myself pretty capable mechanically (rebuilt/restored other bikes as well), but this problem has me stumped. Here’s what happened:
The bike was running normally, then sat for two months while I traveled (a friend was supposed to ride it, but oh well). I got back, put on some new brake pads and took it for a spin to bed-in the brakes. The bike was running well, I was having fun, and I sped up to 90mph on my way back home (it’s got a modified airbox, rejetted BST40 carb and GXSR exhaust…normally does 90 easy). All of a sudden the motor starts cutting out, I back off the gas and pull in the clutch, and the motor dies. Tried to start it again on the side of the road, no luck. When I try to start the bike, the starter motor cranks, the piston cycles, I have spark, but it will only fire for a millisecond and then die (maybe on just one stroke) after cranking for 4-5 seconds. Here’s what I’ve done so far:
- Did a leakdown test, looked great at 95%
- Changed oil, no metal shards found on magnetic drain plug or in pan
- Cleaned carb
- Drained old gas from tank, replaced with fresh gas and added fuel stabilizer
- Adjusted valves (they were a tiny bit loose)
- Replaced spark plugs (checked them on the bike, getting consistent bright blue sparks)
- Tested resistance of pulsar coil, power coil, and ignition coil (both primary and secondary) - all within spec
- Battery tested and in good shape
After all this, I still have the same result when starting the bike. I haven’t tested the CDI box yet, but I think that’s the next thing on my list before tearing into the motor. Any ideas of where else to go from here? This really has me banging my head against the wall...
For sale is a lightly used Two Brothers Racing M7 Slip-on and mid pipe. The system was installed and used for probably less than 30 miles. Original owner did not like it and I acquired it for a project that is on the back burner (never mounted or used) so it is up for sale. Has some minor marks from original install and removal, but looks awesome and comes with screen type spark arrestor. Needs some mounting hardware. $200 obo PM or call text (406) 570-7037 Posted in wrong section, re-posted here where it belongs.
For sale is a lightly used Two Brothers Racing M7 Slip-on and mid pipe. The system was installed and used for probably less than 30 miles. Original owner did not like it and I acquired it for a project that is on the back burner (never mounted or used) so it is up for sale. Has some minor marks from original install and removal, but looks awesome and comes with screen type spark arrestor. Needs some mounting hardware. $200 obo
Hi all, new to DRs. Sold my RMZ450 and stopped racing motocross a few years ago and the motorcycle itch is killing me. I've been looking at XR650Ls and DRZ400s but haven't found one I liked. Came across this DR650:
I spoke to the brother of the owner (who is selling the bike); he is very knowledgeable about the bike and the many mods. I researched the mods a bit an they all look like stuff I'd like to have done but would probably never get to, so they're a plus. A few questions:
1) Should I be concerned about the 24k miles? What kind of work will need to be done in the next 10-30k miles?
2) Thoughts on the price? I can't find much to compare it to. Cheaper than comparable XR650L's by about a grand....makes it very tempting. I assume as long as it's in good shape it will be worth at least $2k?
Thanks for any and all comments. Love these forums!