1972 Honda XL 250 Motosport...new to me

Brought the beast home yesterday. I took some pics this afternoon and will figure out how to post them. This will strictly be a docile trail cruiser. The flatter the better. The motor turns over but she hasn't run in 35 years. My question: I plan on removing headlight-tailight. Will there be any need to install a battery at that point?

No need for a battery if you don't need lights. Direct ignition on these. Black and White wire from the alternator on the left side goes to the points and coil.

Horn or neutral light may only work with the engine running.

Personally I would stick a battery in it and replace the tail light with a generic modern 6v one that is less likely to break if you drop it.

The battery is so small that the weight saving is minimal.

But whatever you decide clean the carb out, clean the tank out. Change the oil and it will probably run.

Nice original bike.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies and info. Appreciate it. I'll be taking off the gas tank and draining/cleaning the varnish out of it.

I had two of those. Nice bikes! First production 4 valve by anyone, I think.

Great find!  She's survived longer than most folk have lived so far!

Keep it in good order, use it as it was intended to be used, but please don't chop it up for a ridiculous bobber etc.

Patina is the perfect finish for a well used machine.

No chopping allowed! The throttle grip does not twist. Not sure if it is cable gunk or carb gunk causing it. When I try to twist it, down on the carb the linkage moves maybe 1/8 inch or so. But my motto is : "Don't force it!".

Question: What is the black part called that connects the carb to the head? Is it referred to as an intake manifold?

No chopping allowed! The throttle grip does not twist. Not sure if it is cable gunk or carb gunk causing it. When I try to twist it, down on the carb the linkage moves maybe 1/8 inch or so. But my motto is : "Don't force it!".

Question: What is the black part called that connects the carb to the head? Is it referred to as an intake manifold?

could be carb slide stuck, bad cable, or bad throttle tube...If it were me, I'd take all three off and clean and lube them.

On 9/28/2017 at 5:03 PM, NvBob said:

Thanks for the replies and info. Appreciate it. I'll be taking off the gas tank and draining/cleaning the varnish out of it.

Pls accept my recommendation in using the Kreem fuel tank lining product on Amazon.    I've done three rusty old tanks with great success.  Soak the inside with apple cider vinegar and water for a few days and repeat until you see clean metal.  Check YouTube for videos.  As with any project, preparation is 90% of the result.

Edited by Jimmy Pascol

Thanks for the Kreem recommendation. Removed the gas tank this morning and drained the varnish. Starting out with an Acetone flush then will end up with a Muriatic acid bath. Once I got the carb off, the push-pull cables slide like butter. The culprit is a stuck throttle valve.  I'll be rebuilding the carb. The choke cable doesn't move, so I'll try and free that.

The gas tank does have a pin prick leak at the front forward tank attachment on the right side.

Toby_S: Thanks for the ebay link but if you look down at the reviews one buyer says it is 4" too short. Looks like he got it to work. Instead I'm going with Honda  part #17950-356-700.

• Like 1

And here's my project update:

1-She's a runner! Had a local retired mc/outboard mechanic do some tweaking and she's purring fine. New points-plug-condenser-coil-oil change.

2-New tires: Pirelli MT 43's.

3-New #520 drive chain.

4-New rear wheel bearings.

5-New fork seals.

6-Will be ordering the choke cable soon.

What I found out about this mc is that when she's cold, one has to have the choke at 100%!!! No 90-95% choke...but all the way. Otherwise your right leg will fall off!

Onward to the back trails of Nevada!