Sign in to follow this  

My suspension is stiff!

Hey guys, so recently I've noticed that my front pro circuit suspension is stiffer than hell. So I read on it and it said that sometimes it's because the front wheel is misaligned and the forks will not sit right. So I put the bike on a stand bled the suspension and got the axle nut loose and the pinch bolts, and every body said to push the suspension down or even press the brakes a few times to help align the wheel. I made sure to tighten the axle then tightened the pinch bolts. But when I tried to push the suspension down while everything was loose it barely moves at all because it's so stiff. I even tried putting the bike on the stand and turning the clickers counter clockwise to soften them up but they were out of adjustment. What do I Do? How do you guys realign the wheel? I've got a riding trip coming up soon and need as much help as I can get. I'll try to add a link to video I found of a bike doing the same thing.

Edited by Zalein

When was the last time your changed your oil/seals/bushings?

Couple things that could be causing it...very worn bushings, bent/twisted triple clamp, or bent fork tubes.

First, try loosening the top clamp bolt (the one under the handlebar) and the top pinch bolts, then check to see if the suspension is still binding.  If it's still binding, remove the forks and check each one straightness.  You can also try compressing each fork, by hand, off the bike.  

If the tubes are straight you're still having issues, its time to tear them down, and inspect. 

Thanks for the reply! I'm no hardcore racer so I never got around to the suspension,my fault. Now that I think about it I had a pretty bad wreck not long ago but it didn't hurt the bike bad but could've bent them. I may need to take it to the local shop and have them do it. Is it hard to rebuild these forks? How do you do it?

Even if you don't ride hard, you should have your forks serviced every 40 (maybe 50) hours, tops.  The oil breaks down, and bushing wear out.

I've always rebuilt my own, and I think everyone who rides should learn how to do it.  It really isn't difficult, just a little bit intimidating the first time, and takes a couple specialized tools (and a bench vise makes things A LOT easier).

There are a bunch of videos out there to show you how to do (I think the ones by RMATV or TBT racing are the best).  Watch them a couple of times, and go slow your first time and you'll be fine.

Now, if you went down pretty hard, I'd definitely start by checking the top triple clamp to see if that's the cause of your binding.  You want to eliminate all other possible causes before you start tearing into your forks.  

See that's news to me because I know only a couple of guys who have messed with theirs. I'll check out some videos, I seen one that was talking about getting new springs for my weight?

There are plenty of people out there that don't service their own forks, but I for one, find it to be pretty simply and it saves me a lot of money.  At this point it takes me under an hour to service both forks.

Look over the videos (and your manual), and if you don't think it's something that you would be comfortable doing, then yah, take into a shop.

Springing the bike for your weight should be the first thing done to it...if your springs are off, your suspension will never work properly.  Your sag numbers will tell you if you need new springs, and there are spring-rate calculators on line (Race Tech) that will help you pick out the correct rate.

I'm gonna give rebuilding the forks a try, and that should fix it. If not I'll get back on here! Thanks!

• Like 1