New Yamaha two strokes 2019!

Did you have to grind the cases for the lower WR 1st gear set?

Thanks

Coop39

Yeah, you do, but it's really easy and not sketchy at all...as in really no chance of putting a hole through anything unless you try really hard. I used a die grinder with a carbide barrel bit, finished with a quick Dremel sanding, and had taped up all the bearings and then cleaned really well to keep any shavings out. You don't have to remove much material at all, and a quick trial fit with the WR 1st gear will tell you right away if you need to keep grinding. It was a piece of cake.

2017-04-21_06-08-04

• Like 6

16 hours ago, RockerYZWR said:

Yeah, you do, but it's really easy and not sketchy at all...as in really no chance of putting a hole through anything unless you try really hard. I used a die grinder with a carbide barrel bit, finished with a quick Dremel sanding, and had taped up all the bearings and then cleaned really well to keep any shavings out. You don't have to remove much material at all, and a quick trial fit with the WR 1st gear will tell you right away if you need to keep grinding. It was a piece of cake.

2017-04-21_06-08-04

Cool! yeah, I was wondering why everyone is doing the WR trany and not doing the lower 1st gear?
What year WR450 Trany gears did you use?
Thanks
Coop39

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RockerYZWR said:

There are a number of years that work, but I used the gears out of a 1998 WR400F. Easy swap!

Do you have to swap all the gears or can you just swap 1st gear 4th and 5th from a WR trans? I was planning on doing 4th and 5th swap from a X but now this has me rethinking it! I love to have a lower first gear. I have a 04 yz250 I have been converting over from mx to woods the past couple years

• Like 1

Do you have to swap all the gears or can you just swap 1st gear 4th and 5th from a WR trans? I was planning on doing 4th and 5th swap from a X but now this has me rethinking it! I love to have a lower first gear. I have a 04 yz250 I have been converting over from mx to woods the past couple years

I'm going to have to defer the question to someone smarter than me because I don't know for sure. I think it has to be either a WR or YZ first gear because the first gear pinion is part of the shaft and that you can mix and match the other gears, but I'm not 100% sure. I do know the lower 1st gear is awesome for slow speed and technical stuff, and as much as I loved a close ratio gearbox, I have noticed no adverse issues with the slightly wider gaps between gears. The 250 top end would pull it perfectly. After all, the 250X has the same 3-4-5, and the gaps between 1-2-3 are basically not noticeable compared to the close ratio gears, even on the MX track. The X should come with a full WR 1-5 in my opinion. I run a 49T rear with the 300 cylinder, and still get about 75 mph on top, which is plenty for me.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, RockerYZWR said:

I'm going to have to defer the question to someone smarter than me because I don't know for sure. I think it has to be either a WR or YZ first gear because the first gear pinion is part of the shaft and that you can mix and match the other gears, but I'm not 100% sure. I do know the lower 1st gear is awesome for slow speed and technical stuff, and as much as I loved a close ratio gearbox, I have noticed no adverse issues with the slightly wider gaps between gears. The 250 top end would pull it perfectly. After all, the 250X has the same 3-4-5, and the gaps between 1-2-3 are basically not noticeable compared to the close ratio gears, even on the MX track. The X should come with a full WR 1-5 in my opinion. I run a 49T rear with the 300 cylinder, and still get about 75 mph on top, which is plenty for me.

Thanks. That sounds exactly like what I want gearing wise for this bike. Sounds like full WR for me! I'll never have this bike on a track again. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not at all a track guy. They just have a small track at this off-road trail place where I ride and I spun a few unimpressive laps on it last Sunday. I definitely prefer the trails.

I am definitely more of a track guy but I have my 450 for that! My 250 came out of gear on a jump face and left me pretty beat up. I do not trust it
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just got home from demo day with Yamaha (among others) with some news! Apparently Yamaha is coming with a brand new two stroke line up for 2019. A new 125, 250 and a third that is still classified. My guess is a 300, but he could not confirm nor deny it. 
Just wanted you guys to know, I am really excited. Haven't read about it anywhere yet. Also after riding the 250f I am really hoping they do something similar to the YZ250 chassi. Very smooth in turns and jumps, although didn't carve as good as husqvarna line up but had waaay better suspension in my opinion and still turned good. Also liked that it wasn't as narrrow as they huskys. 
Anyone else sittning on some information? :ride:

With the 65 about to drop perhaps there is some hope here after all?
  • Like 1