Seat Concepts for DRZ....Butt dyno approved.

Well, before my big trip this summer I knew I had to replace the stock seat.  I ran out of time before the trip to do the the DIY version (and I really wanted to have the stock seat as a backup on my parts shelf) so I just bought the complete seat.  It was a little painful to lay out that kind of money for a dirt bike seat, but after 700 miles in 72 hours with better than 70% of it being off-pavement, I found that it was money REALLY well spent.  Here's my little review video I put together this weekend:

Edited by WheeliePete
  • Like 8

21 hours ago, WheeliePete said:

I was kind of worried when I first pulled it out of the box because the Seat Concepts felt really stiff (compared to the stock seat), but it turned out to be pretty much perfect.

good video, totally agree with ya, I did a 13 hour ride one day back from the interior of BC and that SC was great, also really like my Parrabellum rally windscreen which makes those trips at any more than 50 mph much less tiring.

2 hours ago, bucket list said:

good video, totally agree with ya, I did a 13 hour ride one day back from the interior of BC and that SC was great, also really like my Parrabellum rally windscreen which makes those trips at any more than 50 mph much less tiring.

How tall are you?  I bought a parabellum rally windscreen for my KLR650 and it was just HORRIBLE.  I'm 5'10 and it shook my head so much around 50+mph my vision was blurring.  I had to pull it off.  We put it on my buddy's KLR and he's 6'4" and had the same problem.  Now granted that was on the KLR not the DR-Z, maybe the DRZ angle directs the wind better than the KLR with that parabellum windscreen...   It's been on my list of things to do to take that windscreen and try and heat it up and bend a laminar lip into the end of it like the stock KLR one has, might distrupt the flow enough to get it up and over the top of my helmet...

How tall are you?  I bought a parabellum rally windscreen for my KLR650 and it was just HORRIBLE.  I'm 5'10 and it shook my head so much around 50+mph my vision was blurring.  I had to pull it off.  We put it on my buddy's KLR and he's 6'4" and had the same problem.  Now granted that was on the KLR not the DR-Z, maybe the DRZ angle directs the wind better than the KLR with that parabellum windscreen...   It's been on my list of things to do to take that windscreen and try and heat it up and bend a laminar lip into the end of it like the stock KLR one has, might distrupt the flow enough to get it up and over the top of my helmet...

I'm 5'10" also and the wind does hit my helmet and makes it a bit noisey, i just wear ear plugs, but i don't find my head buffets around at all. If i crouch down a few inches i lose the noise, so i my experiment with a little clear add on strip along the top. Maybe your helmet is causing the buffeting?

7 hours ago, bucket list said:

I'm 5'10" also and the wind does hit my helmet and makes it a bit noisey, i just wear ear plugs, but i don't find my head buffets around at all. If i crouch down a few inches i lose the noise, so i my experiment with a little clear add on strip along the top. Maybe your helmet is causing the buffeting?

I tried a couple different helmets (adv wtih peak, without peak, road helmet, etc.), and then we tried it on my buddy's bike (same KLR as I have, but he's a lot taller than me.)  From looking at your picture I can tell the mounting on the DR-Z is a lot more vertical and more forward than the one on the KLR.  I bet that has something to do with it also.  Side question:  What saddle bags are you using and do you like them?  I've been looking for something that didn't have huge straps going over the seats.

I tried a couple different helmets (adv wtih peak, without peak, road helmet, etc.), and then we tried it on my buddy's bike (same KLR as I have, but he's a lot taller than me.)  From looking at your picture I can tell the mounting on the DR-Z is a lot more vertical and more forward than the one on the KLR.  I bet that has something to do with it also.  Side question:  What saddle bags are you using and do you like them?  I've been looking for something that didn't have huge straps going over the seats.

Those were "big strap over the seat" bags from Nelson-rigg. But i didn't like how they flopped and moved around, so i made them hard mounted soft bags with just a couple of painted pieces of 1/4" plywood bolted together between the inside backing of the bags. I've made so they slip on and off of my homemade racks in seconds, and they don't move around back there at all, no matter how rough the road, i love them now.

20171004_072237.jpg
  • Like 1

I am curious to know if the Seat Concepts version (regular height) impacts the seat height in any way. I am 5'9 with a 30" inseam, so I am on tippy toes with the stock seat. It looks like the Seat Concepts version is relatively slim up front which should mean that touching the ground won't be impacted. Can anyone confirm if there is any noticeable difference in the ability to get your feet on the ground? I don't need to flat foot, but another inch in the wrong direction would make me a bit uncomfortable.  

I know a short height is also available, but I worry that it would negate the extra cushioning.

1 hour ago, MotardMike1 said:

I am curious to know if the Seat Concepts version (regular height) impacts the seat height in any way. I am 5'9 with a 30" inseam, so I am on tippy toes with the stock seat. It looks like the Seat Concepts version is relatively slim up front which should mean that touching the ground won't be impacted. Can anyone confirm if there is any noticeable difference in the ability to get your feet on the ground? I don't need to flat foot, but another inch in the wrong direction would make me a bit uncomfortable.  

I know a short height is also available, but I worry that it would negate the extra cushioning.

No, I didn't notice any difference in the seat height when I went to the standard seat concepts. I also have a 30" inseam and ya, it's two tippy toes at a light, but I too didn't want to risk a less compfortable saddle.

I too am 5'9" with 30" inseam and I went with the lower SC seat.  I find it comfortable, but I've not put in a lot of high mileage days.  I do know that for the riding I do do, it's way better than the stock seat was.

It took me from tippy toes to having a bit more contact with the ground.  Not flat-footing it, but enough more that I feel much better and hanging a butt cheek and one footing it feels way better than it did.  That inch or so made a big difference to my confidence.

Edited by DaveSw
type OH!
  • Like 1