AMRA MotoCity AMA Championship Off-Road Series Banter

Thanks Mike. You got 3rd even with stopping to help, I am sure I would have been chasing you again otherwise. 2nd race with two TRS racers on the podium. ?

No way brother, look at the times for the 2nd and 3rd laps. Take credit where credit is due. That was all you. You're faster this year brother! [emoji106]

Felt bad for the C class. That course was torn to shit after the A/B race.

In many Motorsports races the pro's or experts, or "the ones to watch" all go last. Any reason why C class can't go after the mini's and before A/B on the hare style continuous races? As it stands, we're taking the most novice big bike riders and having them ride destroyed courses. C riders aren't going to destroy a course. Heck, on the last lap I saw workers closing sections because they were so tore up C riders couldn't even get through, let alone the increased risk of injury to the lessor experienced riders from the course falling apart. Just blabbing as this is a banter thread. [emoji87]

12 minutes ago, oldfuddy said:

In many Motorsports races the pro's or experts, or "the ones to watch" all go last. Any reason why C class can't go after the mini's and before A/B on the hare style continuous races? As it stands, we're taking the most novice big bike riders and having them ride destroyed courses. C riders aren't going to destroy a course. Heck, on the last lap I saw workers closing sections because they were so tore up C riders couldn't even get through, let alone the increased risk of injury to the lessor experienced riders from the course falling apart. Just blabbing as this is a banter thread. emoji87.png

It does suck following the A/B racers on a course like that since they use the rear tire as a rototiller it seems. I went down pretty hard on the last lap, going to fast in one of the many 12" deep ruts and the front tried to climb out. The front went away and I took a soil sample with my head, hit hard probably new helmet time, slowed down for the rest of the lap. A few races last year had the "C" class go first so maybe our time will come this year. Sure would be nice if we could run 1st a few times.

Good job guys.  That was a nasty dusty race!  Tim, you made serious progress from last season!  As for C racers going first or not, it's a host club decision.  Used to be C always went first and then clubs began to switch it up so the A's and B's weren't always the ones to have to wait around all day.  I definitely agree that the course was a major challenge for the C's with the insane ruts.  Of course the C's did half the laps too.  This course is not too technical otherwise but the dust and the ruts for the C's are the challenge.  Like I said, we won't be hosting the race at that venue next season.  We're kicking around a few options and Laughlin is probably the most likely location.

I saw Old Fuddy rip that hole shot on the 500.  Nice!  Did you guys hear that the longest jump winner went 74 feet off that 3 foot little jump?  Kid was tapped out and jumped almost to the single track entrance.  Amazing.

Well, my result was awful. Not because I wasn't quick enough, but because that silt/dust pisses me off so much I was just mentally DONE after the 1st lap. Really, I was done before I even showed up because I had the same experience last year and swore I'd never come back. Somehow talked myself into giving it a 2nd chance. Just a lack of mental fortitude on my part. When the fun meter drops to zero, my motivation goes with it. Took very long pit stops every lap to simmer down and decide if I wanted to pack it up or go back out. Wasn't even going to do the 4th lap but said f-it and decided to go lay down a blistering lap in anger. At full song I was running about 29-30 minute laps without pit stops.

Anyways, I hate being negative about a race because I know how much time, money and work it takes to put one of these on. XMC did a great job overall. I was in and out of registration in 2 minutes, the course was really well marked and easy to follow. Course workers were well distributed and gave some good cheers as we went by.

I'm going to press the reset button and get ready for Big Sandy. Bike is definitely going in for suspension work before attacking those rocky trails. I knew I could get away with stock suspension in Tucson, but not at the next one.

Edited by Kosmic
  • Like 3

Good point about XMC@Kosmic, even on the last lap at the Enduro cross section at the end of the race a dude was there cheering us on and then folks were in the wash, out in the back by the fence line on that 90 degree right turn, by the hazards, etc. good stuff all the way around as far as support. I haven't worked a race yet, Copper Classic will be my first, but I can already tell in just 4 races total with AMRA the Clubs bust their hump making it happen and we don't even see all the work behind the scenes. Good stuff and thanks. [emoji106]

Putting on a race is definitely a big undertaking.  Props to everyone that puts time in volunteering to make it happen.  On behalf of the XMC crew, we appreciate the positive feedback we have gotten.  We take a lot of pride in our work.  We work hard and party harder!  I had a great time with the club Saturday night.  I just love these events and the fun surrounding them.  Now that I have spent the last 3 weekends working on the race, it's time to get ready to race Wikieup.  I've been missing my normal seat time.  Here's hoping I get my 3rd win at Wikieup (first in B class if I nail it).  I need the points.  Based on my calculations I'm in a 3 way tie for second right now.

• Like 1

Hmm, guess they're not doing the same format as last year. 2:00 race time.... ugh!

I'm guessing stand up scramble means a Le Mans style "run to your bike" start. But that's just a guess, I have no idea otherwise.

13 hours ago, Kosmic said:

Hmm, guess they're not doing the same format as last year. 2:00 race time.... ugh!

I'm guessing stand up scramble means a Le Mans style "run to your bike" start. But that's just a guess, I have no idea otherwise.

Fair is fair, us C racers started at 2:00 pm the last race when it was 90 degrees and the course was beat to shit after the A/B racers tore it up for 2 hours. I doubt it will be that hot in Wikieup and I can bet the course won't be as ripped up from us C racers.

Last year it was a shotgun start, literally, they used a shotgun to start the race. We all lined up and ran to our bikes for the start then down the cactus and rock covered hill, good times.

I think Stand Up Scramble is just a catchy name.  Notice the flag motif and then think of this kneeling crap the NFL players have been doing.  What sucks is that registration closes at 7:30 am and A's and B's don't race until 2pm.  At least in Tucson we left registration open until 10am.  I don't see why they have to shut down registration so early.

It may be an issue of not enough people working the race. Minis race early and they need bodies for that. Notice it is being put on by two clubs. Closing at 7:30 am is a bit early I think. I'll be there Saturday so not an issue for me but those coming Sunday will have a long day. Closing an hour before the riders meeting seems better. There already is a discussion on Facebook about it, enough people complain they may change it.

Never raced there. Was going to squeeze another race out of my rear tire, just watched a vid and looks like lots of sand, maybe l'll spoon a new tire on. Sure hope for rain the night before as the vid I watched was epic dirt and no dust. Also as open as it looks, lots of places to get in trouble too.

27 minutes ago, oldfuddy said:

Never raced there. Was going to squeeze another race out of my rear tire, just watched a vid and looks like lots of sand, maybe l'll spoon a new tire on. Sure hope for rain the night before as the vid I watched was epic dirt and no dust. Also as open as it looks, lots of places to get in trouble too.

Last year it was dry and dusty, much like the rest of the races. I may need to put a new tire on as well, not sure if the Parker DT will make it that long. It is sandy but there are rocks as well, especially on the north side. The bigger thing to watch for are the bowling balls, yes bowling balls. They shoot them out of cannons as this a big shooting range.

Big Sandy Shoot

2 hours ago, 4Sevens said:

I think Stand Up Scramble is just a catchy name.  Notice the flag motif and then think of this kneeling crap the NFL players have been doing.  What sucks is that registration closes at 7:30 am and A's and B's don't race until 2pm.  At least in Tucson we left registration open until 10am.  I don't see why they have to shut down registration so early.

Yea after taking a closer look at it this morning I think you're right, it's just a catchy name. It is at an MG/artillery shooting range, after all.

I don't mind racing at 2:00 whatsoever. In fact, I ride like s**t before noon. Just not crazy about getting up stupid early to make reg. time just to sit there for 6-7 hours. Is what it is though. Maybe I can squeeze a nap in.

Race-prep practice recommendations for the next 2 weeks:

• tight sand washes
  • rocky off-camber single track
  • whooped out sandy trails

If you're not familiar with Big Sandy... .

Edited by Kosmic