AMRA MotoCity AMA Championship Off-Road Series Banter

Placing 1st in 40C at the AZOP in race Prescott Valley, I feel my fitness is good. My heart rate monitor said I had an average HR of 160 and a max of 180 over the 2.5hrs. I still felt really good after the race.

I still need to do some fine tuning on suspension on the 350.

I'm doing freelance personal training outside of the gym that I work for if any of you fellas need help with training. Contact me here or on FB.

Race Fit Personal Training

AZOP Prescott Valley 18Aug18.jpg

• Like 3

You guys put on a hell of a show last night in prescott with the club challenge and the flaggers did great too...that kid on the KX85 won the evening with the crowd

Saw the flyer for the event. Lots going on up in Prescott with racing. Seems to be the place attracting some of the bigger and combined events. Did you enter? Some of the pics I’ve seen looked awesome. Haven’t watched any vids yet though.

Placing 1st in 40C at the AZOP in race Prescott Valley, I feel my fitness is good. My heart rate monitor said I had an average HR of 160 and a max of 180 over the 2.5hrs. I still felt really good after the race.
I still need to do some fine tuning on suspension on the 350.
I'm doing freelance personal training outside of the gym that I work for if any of you fellas need help with training. Contact me here or on FB.
Race Fit Personal Training

497669685_AZOPPrescottValley18Aug18.jpg.4dd48cc85b8cab4c28c4add80f0fb599.jpg

Congrats on that win brotha. I watched some vids. Course looked fantastic and tough.

After@Tmac1366 led the ride yesterday and destroyed me... and then he went out again after I barely made it back to the truck, I got my wake up call to hit it hard. Gonna need to watch tmac this year as his fitness appears insane this year, he’s gonna be one to watch in the class. I dug up your routine you put together for me last year, I’ll be starting today. It took me to 2nd overall for the season and a win at the Rough Rider 100 last year so I can vouch your programs work. [emoji106]

2 hours ago, Ssilver2002 said:

So I went on the AMRA website to Register. I put In all my data clicked save, and even paid the $25. All this was on Saturday. I went to check and couldn't find my name or anything. Any ideas?

I think they are all manually reviewed to make sure your info is correct, he may have just not got to it yet. Send an email to steward@amraracing.com to verify.

Edited by Kosmic

4 hours ago, Kosmic said:

I think they are all manually reviewed to make sure your info is correct, he may have just not got to it yet. Send an email to steward@amraracing.com to verify.

What he said. Give it a day or two and you should receive an email confirming your class and number, if you don't then send an email.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:37 AM, oldfuddy said:

looking at the location we go down the same road as we do to get to Camp Wood... except about 4 miles further.  As I recall that dirt winding road is not 30-foot toy hauler friendly.  looks like its a tent and long johns!  ?

At least you wouldn't have to make that sharp turn down the hill right by the normal staging area, that's torn up a few trailers.

I can ask about that additional 4 miles and how tight the other area is if you do want to consider bring the rig. Either way, it's a bit of a haul down that road for large trailers for sure. I'll be tenting, as usual.

At least you wouldn't have to make that sharp turn down the hill right by the normal staging area, that's torn up a few trailers.
I can ask about that additional 4 miles and how tight the other area is if you do want to consider bring the rig. Either way, it's a bit of a haul down that road for large trailers for sure. I'll be tenting, as usual.

Heard the other few miles is basically a Jeep trail. I tented last year at camp wood and I’ll do the same at yolo. Way easier. Going up Sat afternoon. New trailers can’t survive 20 miles one way on those roads, cheap designs.

Talked to the race director today. Road to Camp Wood is in the best shape it's ever been. Word is, someone bought some land out there and is keeping access in good shape. There is more room for camping at the Yolo spot than the normal spot. Just an FYI.

I'm nowhere near close to 100% healed, probably about 50% so racing is going to be a bit of a gamble but I'll just have to be careful. Maybe try to ride smarter, not harder, for once.

Talked to the race director today. Road to Camp Wood is in the best shape it's ever been. Word is, someone bought some land out there and is keeping access in good shape. There is more room for camping at the Yolo spot than the normal spot. Just an FYI.
I'm nowhere near close to 100% healed, probably about 50% so racing is going to be a bit of a gamble but I'll just have to be careful. Maybe try to ride smarter, not harder, for once.

Is it your braking foot/toe or shifting?

I’m still going to just tent it.

Yeah, still getting used to the 350. Got 6 hours on it. Going back out tomorrow. It’s soooo different than the 500.

Hope your toe heels even better over the next few weeks.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, oldfuddy said:

Is it your braking foot/toe or shifting?

I’m still going to just tent it. 

Yeah, still getting used to the 350. Got 6 hours on it. Going back out tomorrow. It’s soooo different than the 500.

Hope your toe heels even better over the next few weeks.

Braking toe. Should be fine as long as I don't hit it on a rock and re-break it.

Probably what I'd do to, that's a loooong way to haul from Tucson just for an over night stay.

Rev the shit out of it, then rev it, then rev it some more, then rev it a little more. You still won't hit the rev limiter :) Think of it more as a big bore 250 than a small bore 450. 

Hope so too. I've managed to fight the strong "must ride" urge for 2 weeks now and let it fully heal.

Great ride today. Just shy of 29 miles of whoops, whoops, and desert st. Did much better. Rear brake has air in it as it locked up and needed to take some pedal out of it. That’ll be an easy bleed. Still riding in map 1 with TC on. I like it like that. Gotta try the advanced map (map 2) and TC off on the same trails to see how I like it.

Bike is not like my 500 as I could ride the 500 lazy and and get away with it. Ride the 350 lazy and it’ll flame out without blinking and it doesn’t like to start hot in gear. I loose 15-20 seconds firing it back up. Gonna have to tweak the TPS and see if that helps. I can’t loose that much time racing starting a stalled bike. The 500 was wicked quick starting. I won 6 dead engine starts in a row for holeshot. I don’t see that happening on the 350.

Now, right when the powerband of the 500 was getting flat, the 350 skyrockets! Man, it is scary fast in the trail if you grab a handful and leave it open. Can get in trouble fast as when you think the rev limiter should kick in the bike just keeps pulling and pulling and then your up on a corner way too hot if your not careful.

Tmac is still the man right now and think he’ll be strong this year. I have a long way to go to give him a challenge as I get back in shape and get used to the bike, but I’ll be giving it my best. [emoji106]

On 9/8/2018 at 11:51 PM, Kosmic said:

Braking toe. Should be fine as long as I don't hit it on a rock and re-break it.

Probably what I'd do to, that's a loooong way to haul from Tucson just for an over night stay.

Rev the shit out of it, then rev it, then rev it some more, then rev it a little more. You still won't hit the rev limiter :) Think of it more as a big bore 250 than a small bore 450. 

Hope so too. I've managed to fight the strong "must ride" urge for 2 weeks now and let it fully heal.

The beauty of the 350, when set up right, is that you can lug it like a 300 two stroke and when you rev it out it has the power of a 450.  That said, my 2016 350 weighs a pound or two MORE than the new KTM/Husky 450's.  The new 450's have launch control and traction control plus they have a map switch to make changes to power delivery on the fly.  My next bike will be a 450 KTM or Husky.  I'm in no rush though. Love my 350.

My next bike after that 450 will hopefully be an electric with power and weight as good or better than the new ALTA Redshift MXR and 100 miles of range.  If you've ridden an ALTA, you can't wait until they get more range on a charge. I'm A class fast on the ALTA and I'm normally a B class rider.  The ALTA is a game changer just the same way the 4 strokes have been.  The traction with the ALTA is second to none.  The power is adjustable on the fly.  The #1 power mode is like riding a 250F. #2 and #3 power mode is like a 350's power and #4 is like a 450.  Weight is a non issue if you have ridden any modern 4 stroke from a 250F up it's close enough.  Handling is superior to any other bike I've ridden.  Same for traction.  Hearing everything is also an advantage.  Not making noise.  Someone please get the ALTA's range up. Sorry to get off track.

15 hours ago, oldfuddy said:

Great ride today. Just shy of 29 miles of whoops, whoops, and desert st. Did much better. Rear brake has air in it as it locked up and needed to take some pedal out of it. That’ll be an easy bleed. Still riding in map 1 with TC on. I like it like that. Gotta try the advanced map (map 2) and TC off on the same trails to see how I like it.

Bike is not like my 500 as I could ride the 500 lazy and and get away with it. Ride the 350 lazy and it’ll flame out without blinking and it doesn’t like to start hot in gear. I loose 15-20 seconds firing it back up. Gonna have to tweak the TPS and see if that helps. I can’t loose that much time racing starting a stalled bike. The 500 was wicked quick starting. I won 6 dead engine starts in a row for holeshot. I don’t see that happening on the 350.

Now, right when the powerband of the 500 was getting flat, the 350 skyrockets! Man, it is scary fast in the trail if you grab a handful and leave it open. Can get in trouble fast as when you think the rev limiter should kick in the bike just keeps pulling and pulling and then your up on a corner way too hot if your not careful.

Tmac is still the man right now and think he’ll be strong this year. I have a long way to go to give him a challenge as I get back in shape and get used to the bike, but I’ll be giving it my best.

To fix the flame out and hard to start issue, raise the idle a little higher than you think is right.  ALL my buddies with 350's have the same problem except me.  They just can't seem to get over the idle being as high as it needs to be I guess.  Raising the idle will fix both issues but sometime when hot and dumped, etc. the 350 won't want to fire.  I hit the starter button.  If it doesn't start pretty quick I hit the kill switch for about one second and release it while keeping the starter engaged the whole time.  It usually fires right up.  You probably won't have to do this if you raise the idle to the proper level.

• Like 1

Thanks. I’m going to raise the idle a little first to see how that works before I fiddle with the tps.

Of note, I have the factory map selector and TC and LC on my ‘18. It’s awesome. I have not yet done timing runs between maps, but map 2 is insane. I feel like the 350 pulls harder (in the dirt) than the 500 and that might be just trickery since it’s pulling longer if that makes sense. But, it could be the 350 is just hooking up with the TC and not wasting excess wheel spin.

I have not yet tried launch control with good results as it does require you to keep the throttle from falling off. Not even a little blip or it disengages so the book says.

I am using TC though ALL THE TIME! It’s cheating. And, the bike stays in whatever you select wether you turn the bike off or it stalls. No having to reset or reselect.

Where TC shines I’ve found is in the deep washes and sugar-type sand. The bike doesn’t dig, it hooks! With my bud on his 300 last weekend doing some quick drag races in loose wash sand It out pulled him. The 300 was digging and the 350 was trying to wheelie and was hooking up, I had to back out of it and then get back in it. Both bikes running 110 rear AT81’s. Think TC will come in handy this year.