oldfuddy

AMRA MotoCity AMA Championship Off-Road Series Banter

We had the 2018 Season "prep" thread... but the season is here... figured we'd have a Banter thread to discuss the last and next race during the Season.

What did you all think about Round 1?

WOW! I've never ridden the Sheridan Mountains before... that was challenging to say the least. Soooooooooo much rock.

The Mountain beat a bunch of folks up. A guy in our group went over the bars and DNF'd with rib injuries. I counted 3 busted hand guards, a lever, a brake pedal, shroud, and what I think was part of a fender littered throughout the test sections. The long climbs and steep downhills had carnage everywhere. I got stuck on a granite face step-up and before I could get off the bike to drag it down and try again two dudes working the race popped out of the bushes and started pushing. It was awesome!

Had GREAT support from those working the race!!! Thanks to all! The 10-mile transition actually took more energy than I thought and I had run out of gel packs for the last test and didn't rest as long as I should have before starting. It was only a 1.7 mile test, but I was wiped out when they handed me that Snickers bar!

Let's hear from some racers about round 1? Tough? Easy? What you expected?

2 hours ago, oldfuddy said:

I got stuck on a granite face step-up and before I could get off the bike to drag it down and try again two dudes working the race popped out of the bushes and started pushing. It was awesome!

haha, that was my group. There were 4 of us there during the C race. We figured people would get hung up there so put a few guys there to avoid congestion and make sure everyone got through safely. Wasn't a particularly difficult obstacle but it's a blind corner coming into it with no run-up at all so it takes you buy surprise. Even some A riders were getting hung up there on the 1st loop. I've got some video footage but haven't looked at it yet.

2 hours ago, oldfuddy said:

Had GREAT support from those working the race!!! Thanks to all! The 10-mile transition actually took more energy than I thought and I had run out of gel packs for the last test and didn't rest as long as I should have before starting. It was only a 1.7 mile test, but I was wiped out when they handed me that Snickers bar!

Thanks for coming up to race! I can verify, that 705A "road" coming up from the cabin is F***ING AWFUL! You can't really ride it slow either. Just have to gas it and keep the bike going straight the best you can. Just when you thought you were getting a break with some easy transfers up the road..... NOPE!

• Like 1

@Kosmic - you guys put on a hell of a show. Thanks. We've got nothing down here in Southern AZ like that mountain. Sitting here tonight reflecting on the race, it was a great challenge.

Here's my pit Sat night.

IMG_0733.jpg

• Like 2

As I wrote in the other thread, I have worked very hard this off season and I was expecting to win or take top 3 at the least.  I finished 4th in 40B and 14th out of all 93 B class riders.  I was 62nd out of the 226 riders in all.  The good news is that my class is looking like it will be a battle between me and two other riders this season so I will likely podium for the season as long as I don't have an injury.  Two of the guys that beat me in this race don't do the full series.  In fact they both only did 1 or 2 races last year.  This race was a wake up call to step up my game more.  I'm signing up for in season training with DA8 and I will be working on riding in the standing position more.  I just had my suspension done by TBT and didn't have time to test settings beyond what they set it at so that is also next.

Now it's time for my club to start working on the course for the next race - Tucson.  We will be down there this Saturday figuring out the course layout and then the next Saturday as well.  Then some of the club guys will spend most of the week before the race finalizing the marking, etc.  Pray for rain because nothing else will help alleviate the dust down there.  We will water as best as we can but that silt just sucks it up.  Only a heavy rain in the days before the race will settle the dust.

Hope you guys had a good race at Camp Wood.  If you did the full 80 miles you are a bad mofo and should be proud.

• Like 1

I didn't and couldn't have done the full 80-mile Monty. 20 of 79 in the C class DNF'd and I'm proud of my performance in 50+ just to finish. I got 2nd and 22 of 79. I'm stoked at my performance coming off a DNF at Globe. @tmac1366 was right behind me in 3rd. I tried to catch him at the end of the 1st test as he left before me and I closed the gap 3 times, but he blazed through knarly stuff and I fell back and had to charge again and again. Never got past him that test. Realized I started out too quick on that test and needed to fall back into my pace as there was no way I could sustain that pace the whole race.

I live a few miles from MCMP and ride it often. I'd offer to help, but insider knowledge at my home track would not be good. I'll be there next Sat (not this Sat) practicing and will stay out of your way. I'll say the monsoon this year destroyed the trails. Lots of overgrowth and rutted washouts in the normally 3rd/4th gear areas. Single track areas will need to be cleared with much branch trimming. You guys will have your work cut out for you.

Think the C riders get the dust the worst at MCMP. We have to ride 1.5hrs in all the additional silt created by the 2hrs of A/B riders. The ruts last year were horrible and would lock your bike into a corner line wether you wanted that line or not. I'll be wearing a dust mask and have 3liters of water on my back.

Cheers

56 minutes ago, oldfuddy said:

I didn't and couldn't have done the full 80-mile Monty. 20 of 79 in the C class DNF'd and I'm proud of my performance in 50+ just to finish. I got 2nd and 22 of 79. I'm stoked at my performance coming off a DNF at Globe. @tmac1366 was right behind me in 3rd. I tried to catch him at the end of the 1st test as he left before me and I closed the gap 3 times, but he blazed through knarly stuff and I fell back and had to charge again and again. Never got past him that test. Realized I started out too quick on that test and needed to fall back into my pace as there was no way I could sustain that pace the whole race.

I live a few miles from MCMP and ride it often. I'd offer to help, but insider knowledge at my home track would not be good. I'll be there next Sat (not this Sat) practicing and will stay out of your way. I'll say the monsoon this year destroyed the trails. Lots of overgrowth and rutted washouts in the normally 3rd/4th gear areas. Single track areas will need to be cleared with much branch trimming. You guys will have your work cut out for you.

Think the C riders get the dust the worst at MCMP. We have to ride 1.5hrs in all the additional silt created by the 2hrs of A/B riders. The ruts last year were horrible and would lock your bike into a corner line wether you wanted that line or not. I'll be wearing a dust mask and have 3liters of water on my back.

Cheers

Yeah I felt bad for the C riders last year.  Those ruts are no joke after getting a beating from 150 other riders for 2 hours.  Thanks for the info on the overgrowth.  We will bring the saws and trimmers.

I crashed more sweeping that race last year than I usually crash in a race.  It was nasty and I just wasn't focused on riding so it was not a good day for me.  If you ever work sweep, be prepared to ride the course more than you would as a racer.  I was beat down.

Edited by 4Sevens

I had a goal of a top three finish in my class since I am on a new bike, better conditioning, and I knew what was in store having raced Camp Wood last season. Last season I made a comment about the C course at the bon fire and was told that's the easiest they could find. So I knew it wasn't going be to much different this year and I was not disappointed. The first test I felt pretty good and the bike was working great, just tried to keep a good pace and not over do it. I was able to catch and pass some guys so that helped the confidence. At the finish I wasn't winded and felt good. Test 2 I had to stop on a long rocky climb as my heart rate was sky high and was holding on way too tight. After that I got stuck in a line due to a trail plug. Test 3 was good just cramped up at the end but a long rest and some pickle juice made the arm cramps go away. Test 4 was short and sweet. I did not crash, had a few off line moments that stopped my forward progress but other then that it was a good race for me. I had just installed the Rekluse earlier in the week and put a Kenda Ibex on the rear. The Ibex would not break loose, it was fantastic on the loose climbs and brakes well also. Those two additions really plus riding a WR250F made the difference for me this year. I'm stoked on my 3rd place finish and that put two TRS members on the podium with oldfuddy taking 2nd. :thumbsup:

Now for the next one down here in Tucson, get to sleep in my own bed before this race.

• Like 1

So, went to MCMP today to play around the loops with some buds, holy moly.... calling all racers.... bring your bandanas and/or wolf mask on the 22nd. The dust and silt was crazy. Us in C class are really gonna be hating life after the A/B riders chew it up even more. I fear crashes from not seeing obstacles. If you cant see, be sure to back off until you can. See you guys/gals on the 22nd.

Yeah not really looking forward to a dry and dusty Tucson race but everyone gets the same thing. I plan on trying to wear a dust mask but we'll see how that goes. I may get a air filter skin as well.

On 10/7/2017 at 9:30 PM, oldfuddy said:

So, went to MCMP today to play around the loops with some buds, holy moly.... calling all racers.... bring your bandanas and/or wolf mask on the 22nd. The dust and silt was crazy. Us in C class are really gonna be hating life after the A/B riders chew it up even more. I fear crashes from not seeing obstacles. If you cant see, be sure to back off until you can. See you guys/gals on the 22nd.

Ugh, don't remind me. This is the only race I've ever wanted to just pull off the track after lap one, pack it up, and go home. Trying to resist the urge to burn my drop.

I saw you out there Old Fuddy.  We were out planning the course and marking already.  Let's hope for rain the week of the race.  This course is not that hard so the real obstacle is the dust.  We plan to hold our race somewhere else next season.  Probably back to Laughlin.  We'll be back next Saturday.  We are incorporating more areas that will be less dusty this time but without rain leading up to the race it's going to be nasty still.

• Like 1

@4Sevens, figured that might be you out there. We tried to stay away from you guys, but there's not a lot of real estate out there so when we saw you guys we just rode to different areas of the property to play around. Did you line up with us in that drag race? Was going to stop over and say hi when I was loading up, but I swallowed way to much dust and felt sick and needed to bug out asap. I'll have several clean bandana's for the race and will either swap out or remove after a lap or two. My times won't matter if I pull over for a minute or two. Just want to survive the dust as it turns my stomach. Last year I went over the bars on the last lap (after leading for 1.5 hrs) when I hit an iceberg rock head from following a slower rider too close. BLAM, didn't even see it. I've got a steering damper this year, hope that helps for the unexpected. It sure worked good at Camp Wood.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:58 AM, 4Sevens said:

I saw you out there Old Fuddy.  We were out planning the course and marking already.  Let's hope for rain the week of the race.  This course is not that hard so the real obstacle is the dust.  We plan to hold our race somewhere else next season.  Probably back to Laughlin.  We'll be back next Saturday.  We are incorporating more areas that will be less dusty this time but without rain leading up to the race it's going to be nasty still.

Is this going to be a live engine start from the MX track?

5 minutes ago, Kosmic said:

Is this going to be a live engine start from the MX track?

We will start from the area in front of where the MX gate is but we won't use the actual gate since we will have multiple rows as usual.  Live or dead engine has not been finalized yet but I think it will be dead engine start.  I'm going back tomorrow and I will update here about the live/dead engine start plan.

• Like 2

Not looking forward to the MX track portion. I haven't ridden MX tracks much so the jumps will be my Achilles heel. Just gotta finish and get points.

Live/dead engine.... no worries... ahhh, electric start... so much better than my Elsinores of the past. Especially my 480 with left hand kick... man, that just sucked.

I hear ya@tmac1366, Might have to ask Mary to do some photoshop work of me flying through the air looking like an AA rider. . I do one lap on that track and I'm exhausted. Looks like round 2 will be like round 1 for me.... survival.

I did order a wolfsnout though last night. Hope Amazon pulls through for me.

Not looking forward to the MX track portion. I haven't ridden MX tracks much so the jumps will be my Achilles heel. Just gotta finish and get points.

Forgot, we were out there last Sat and Brian flipped his 300 over backwards on the mx track about mid-track. He's still sore, but like us, he's in his 50's too. Sore is normal.
  • Like 1