AMRA MotoCity AMA Championship Off-Road Series Banter

Had a 2013 300 XCW before my 350 XCFW. They are similar, but the 350 revs much higher and pulls wayyyyy longer. I had an 08 450 XCRW before the 300 and it was a beast in the woods. It's nice how the 350 will lug like the 300. I feel it's similar to the old 250 2-stroke MX bikes of the 80's. I think they would rev further than the 300 will.

I have the same issue with the 350 not wanting to start hot. Put an EarthX battery in it and it seems to spin a little faster. Won't get the 350 back from AZKKT until next week. Still waiting on my Xtrig collar and couple of small parts from RaceTech. Not sure if I'll get time to test it out on the 22/23. (anniversary is 21st and may have to err on the side of good judgement)

My Xtrig has been on backorder for 3 weeks.

You’ll have to take the XC-F for a spin. It’s got a bigger throttle body (SX) and revs even higher.

Not sure I’ll have the hot start and stalling issue solved before the first few races. But gonna take the advice above and bump the idle up a bit.

On 9/9/2018 at 5:42 PM, oldfuddy said:

Tmac is still the man right now and think he’ll be strong this year. I have a long way to go to give him a challenge as I get back in shape and get used to the bike, but I’ll be giving it my best.

I appreciate the kudos but unfortunately I won't be doing the whole series this season. I just don't have the extra funds to support the whole season. I'm hoping to do some of the races closer to home but we'll see how it plays out. I wish all of you good luck this season and hopefully I'll be able to make it back out next season. 

• Like 1

Some info for this weekend's race.

We're not riding any of the really gnarly stuff on the south or east sides. This will be a faster/easier flavor of camp wood.

Should be a good time. This will be my only chance to race Camp Wood, sadly.

Capture.JPG

Good thing Camp Wood won't be too bad this time.  I'll be riding injured.  My knee hit a tree straight on Saturday when riding and blew up like a watermelon.  Freaky huge.  No bones broken.  Soft tissue damage, lots of bruising and lots of pain.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:50 AM, 4Sevens said:

Good thing Camp Wood won't be too bad this time.  I'll be riding injured.  My knee hit a tree straight on Saturday when riding and blew up like a watermelon.  Freaky huge.  No bones broken.  Soft tissue damage, lots of bruising and lots of pain.

That sounds pretty bad. You sure you'll be able to ride?

I'm in the same boat, riding injured. Still recovering from a broken left foot, dealing with a currently broken right foot. Then last weekend smashed my left finger and did something to my right thumb.

I appreciate the kudos but unfortunately I won't be doing the whole series this season. I just don't have the extra funds to support the whole season. I'm hoping to do some of the races closer to home but we'll see how it plays out. I wish all of you good luck this season and hopefully I'll be able to make it back out next season. 

Dude, not what I wanted to hear. you are smoking fast right now. Pm sent.

Holy Moses! What’s up with all the injuries? Season hasn’t even started. Crap, hope you guys heal up. That’s crazy.

On a positive note, bike is ready. I’m not sure if I am, but the bike rips.

IMG_4311.JPG

Hi I just wanted to check in to this thread. My kids and I are staying in Arizona for the season and I am hoping we can ride and race while we are here. We have some complications. 6 motorcycles and no spark arrestors on the 5 two strokes. We come from a state with no stickers at all on older offroad bikes. I read in the Arizona regulations we can ride private events on public land without a sticker so I hope that includes ARMA. I am an AMA member but we have only raced harescrambles back home.  Ready to dust off the old CR- still too hot in Yuma.. Thanks everyone. Erik 

cr250_2.jpg

cr250_3.jpg

Edited by Firestone

Hi I just wanted to check in to this thread. My kids and I are staying in Arizona for the season and I am hoping we can ride and race while we are here. We have some complications. 6 motorcycles and no spark arrestors on the 5 two strokes. We come from a state with no stickers at all on older offroad bikes. I read in the Arizona regulations we can ride private events on public land without a sticker so I hope that includes ARMA. I am an AMA member but we have only raced harescrambles back home.  Ready to dust off the old CR- still too hot in Yuma.. Thanks everyone. Erik 
cr250_2.jpg&key=d3673a2fb99e039c55ef3d672262a3e0e5a81a9b4efdd900fa60fa2ef516b233
cr250_3.jpg&key=b4addc0c44dabbea2effba58ba6d6151d4828864a78768b826efb7cf096dfefa

Welcome and that’s a large group of bikes. Nice. As for the sparky and sticker thing.... there’s very few races that don’t require a sparky, and very few places to ride (practice or trail ride that doesn’t require an OHV sticker and in some cases, a State Trust Land Permit). I think the race at Buckeye (ACP) doesn’t require a sparky. Tucson used to not require a sparky, but we’re not racing MCMP this year, so that one is out. No races require stickers. If you go to public/private tracks you’ll be fine. But most of AMRA races are on Forest Service or State Land and they require sparkys. You can get cheap fixes to add sparkys to the bikes. They will also need to meet a 96db or lower sound test at many of the races. You can check out the AMRA page for more info. Cheers and welcome again.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Firestone said:

Interested In those cheap fixes. It’s going to cost around $800 to change out all the silencers to Turbine Core FMF’s. Any of you racers live around Yuma?

Cheap fix:

Go to a hardware store and buy some sink strainers. Take the outside ring off so it's just the screen mesh. Or you can use any stainless mesh that you can find otherwise.

Remove the muffler cap (screws or drill out the rivets) and put the sink strainer behind the cap. Re-install cap. This might include buying a rivet gun if they're not a bolt on cap.

This will get you past an AMRA tech, but is not USFD legal so you'll still be illegal if you get stopped by a ranger out on public lands. Weather you get a ticket for it or not is anyone's guess. They may do a poke test, or they may verify if it's forestry legal or not.

For the races, they basically just take a small rod of certain diameter and poke it down your muffler. If the poke goes in and hits nothing, you won't be racing at almost all events.

You don't need a sticker to race, as it's considered a "special event".  But you will still have to pass tech.

sink.jpg

Holy Moses! What’s up with all the injuries? Season hasn’t even started. Crap, hope you guys heal up. That’s crazy.
On a positive note, bike is ready. I’m not sure if I am, but the bike rips.

IMG_4311.thumb.JPG.3b067ab77113ad3f0cb3dec5d13ee9db.JPG

looks beautiful!
I can take it out and try it for you, if you're not sure you're ready! lol

2 hours ago, Kosmic said:

Cheap fix:

Go to a hardware store and buy some sink strainers. Take the outside ring off so it's just the screen mesh. Or you can use any stainless mesh that you can find otherwise.

Remove the muffler cap (screws or drill out the rivets) and put the sink strainer behind the cap. Re-install cap. This might include buying a rivet gun if they're not a bolt on cap.

This will get you past an AMRA tech, but is not USFD legal so you'll still be illegal if you get stopped by a ranger out on public lands. Weather you get a ticket for it or not is anyone's guess. They may do a poke test, or they may verify if it's forestry legal or not.

For the races, they basically just take a small rod of certain diameter and poke it down your muffler. If the poke goes in and hits nothing, you won't be racing at almost all events.

You don't need a sticker to race, as it's considered a "special event".  But you will still have to pass tech.

sink.jpg

You know some of who do tech at the races are on this forum, right? We do look to see if the can has a stamp showing it is an approved spark arrestor.

Easier to be legal and not be  turned away at the race. No ones happy when I tell you that you are not racing unless you come back to tech with an approved sparky installed on the bike. I can't speak for anyone else but you won't racing our race without an approved sparky.

looks beautiful!
I can take it out and try it for you, if you're not sure you're ready! lol

Hey Sofie, thanks... but, it’s about 40 years too new for you but I’ll make you a deal... you let me swing a leg over your 480 sometime so I can relive some fond memories and you can take the 350 out
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tmac1366 said:

You know some of who do tech at the races are on this forum, right? We do look to see if the can has a stamp showing it is an approved spark arrestor.

Easier to be legal and not be  turned away at the race. No ones happy when I tell you that you are not racing unless you come back to tech with an approved sparky installed on the bike. I can't speak for anyone else but you won't racing our race without an approved sparky.

BUSTED!!!  Yea... I know, and CC members.

It's a well known, last resort trick that will get you past most techs. Maybe you guys are more diligent than most clubs. I had to do it one time in a pinch because I bought the bike the day before and no SA was in stock locally.

I'm with you though. I'd rather just be legal and not have to worry about it. If you want to ride dirt bikes in the West, you're going to need spark arrestors.

BUSTED!!!  Yea... I know, and CC members.
It's a well known, last resort trick that will get you past most techs. Maybe you guys are more diligent than most clubs. I had to do it one time in a pinch because I bought the bike the day before and no SA was in stock locally.
I'm with you though. I'd rather just be legal and not have to worry about it. If you want to ride dirt bikes in the West, you're going to need spark arrestors.

Yes sir sparkies are a part of life off road on the west. No reason to give the haters more ammo to close more places to ride.