AMRA MotoCity AMA Championship Off-Road Series Banter

18 hours ago, oldfuddy said:

Holy Moses! What’s up with all the injuries? Season hasn’t even started. Crap, hope you guys heal up. That’s crazy. 

B riders..... a little bit of A speed mixed with a little bit of C bike control. :D

• Like 2

There is virtually no public land anywhere close to where we are from. At least you have public land to ride on! We started racing in part just to have new places to ride.

Since you guys are talking about doing things right.. the AZ rulebook says that the out of state resident thing is only good for 30 days. So after that you are supposed to comply with the AZ standards. We don’t have any titles in our state for older bikes so I’m not sure how I can register them and get stickers here. I know this is not related directly to your race series but it sure makes it hard to practice and get bikes ready for racing.

As a resident, I’m blessed to be able to ride literally thousands of miles of desert trails across the state in varied conditions from sandy flat open desert to single track knarly goat trails up mountains. For that privilege, the bike needs to be registered. Whether RV or Street Legal, doesn’t matter. Then an OHV sticker and annual State Trust Permit. All chump change for what we get out of it. That allows residents to practice at or near race sites or somewhere where the terrain is similar. That said, we are watching these privileges get removed every year. Wether it’s land development, new highways, protection of something that’s been around a million years or more, or some legislator that lied. I’ve lived where racing was almost the only outlet to ride an off road bike. Practice or otherwise. And I’ve lived where I had to trailer a bike for 2hrs one way just to ride a 15 acre park. That’s why I moved here, where I can ride to Mexico or hundreds and hundreds of other trials from my driveway, all legal, all open. As for non residents and practicing here and racing here, we’ll, maybe dual residency might be in order. I won’t see it in my lifetime where there’s nowhere to ride around here, but my kids kids might at the rate that crazy state to the left keeps encroaching on us. Not sure where your at, but load the bikes up and go to ACP. Lots of options there and money well spent if you stay all day. No plates, no stickers, no sparkies.

• Like 1

You can get titles for your bikes even if they not been titled before. I am not sure of the process but it can be done. I know people who have done it. Go to a third party MVD office, google search to find one near you, or go to the MVD. They will give you all the info on how to do it.

Pro Circuit actually had one spark arrestor type muffler In stock for my 250 so I ordered it. They didn’t list them on their website last time I looked. I’m running a platinum pipe. I’ll slowly work on converting the bikes. 

Which races this year are low altitude?

I found out today I can buy out of state stickers for California so we are going to see if we can find practice areas over there. 

Edited by Firestone

Still sore from that one 2 days later. First time riding these trails at race pace. Brutal race, but it was fun.

My legs were completely smoked on tests 5-6.

• Like 1

What in the wide wide world of sports is goin' on with these results! LOL!

I guess they should them have done by next weekend.  😀

3 hours ago, vabuckaroo said:

What in the wide wide world of sports is goin' on with these results! LOL!

Russian meddling

Really though, from what I know there were some problems with a couple tables and problems with a couple backup sheets. So it's being manually scored for every rider. That's the hold up. Just some teething issues with the new scoring system. Shit happens, it's just a dirt bike race. Nobody losing their first born here.

I probably did shitty, don't even care to see the results. Just going to keep telling myself I got a podium. :D

@kosmic - nice ride man. I thought that was pretty quick time you made.

Here’s my full test 1. Going through it again in test 4 I was about 10 seconds slower from being tired. I get all amped up in every race the first 20-30 mins and you’ll hear I forget to breath. I eventually settle in. And yes, 350 still stalling out off idle. I raised the idle too. Gotta get used to it I guess.

• Like 1

I have vid and my times right down to the second on all four tests just in case. Im confident they will figure it out. I’d think results will get posted pretty soon. There were less than 250 bikes and it’s now the 5th day. I will say Im glad they are scrubbing it and not releasing it and then pulling it back for corrections. Like Kosmic stated, it happens. That said, if I was in a position to make a difference I’d have electronic and paper for backup just in case. Yup, would take one extra person at each check, but can’t rely on electronics. I know, I’m in IT as a program manger. I’ve seen the best equipment on the planet take a crap in the worst ways and sometimes unrecoverable. Paper and pencil is tried and true.

1 hour ago, oldfuddy said:

That said, if I was in a position to make a difference I’d have electronic and paper for backup just in case. Yup, would take one extra person at each check, but can’t rely on electronics. I know, I’m in IT as a program manger. I’ve seen the best equipment on the planet take a crap in the worst ways and sometimes unrecoverable. Paper and pencil is tried and true.

Oh, we do have paper backup sheets in addition to the tablet data. Even with the fender cards, we always had a 2nd paper backup.

I think they are manually scoring both data sets, filling in any blanks, and comparing both data sets to confirm accuracy. So between ~200 riders, 4 tests for C, 6 tests for A/B x2 we're probably talking about 2,000 lines of data to organize, calculate, compare, and verify.

It was a mix of inadequate training, user error and equipment malfunction. Basically a multi-level cluster &%$#@!. There has been an extensive internal discussion about what went wrong and the club is taking it seriously.

Yeah. It’s all good. For 99% of us it’s a hobby. Not going to down play disappointment in not getting results yet though, but at the end of the day ya can’t get too wrapped around the axle about it. It will get sorted. I hope the club passes the lessons learned on to the next club or does a background paper on it and sends it out to all the clubs to help them avoid the same issues in future rounds.

Ok. Ready for Globe. Turned my idle up just a little bit more and it’s perfect. Starts easier, lugs better, and if i stall it (haven’t yet, think it’s gonna be all my fault). Nice 30-mile whooped out ride this am. Not much prep for Globe, but great exercise and cardio. Clake 2 is dialed in, LHRB is dialed in. Just gotta wash the bike, lube the chain, clean the air filter, and load it up. Getting stoked. Curious what a HS will look like at Globe. Assuming linking both tests together and some infield play time maybe. There’s 20+ bikes in my class.... how are 20+ bikes going To line up and launch off a line together there..... where??? Could get interesting.

I’ve been through some of those 20 bike starts and they can be very interesting. Especially if you don’t have e-start and it takes more than one kick to get going on a dead engine start. Good luck!

Edited by Firestone
  • Like 1

Yeah, we’ve had several last year and I love them. Well, I had a 500 then and the e-button brought it to life super quick. Nailed all but one first to the corner. Different bike this year. It’s just at Globe don’t know where they would do it.