Dualsporting 480rr

The RS/RR-S is an incredible dual sport bike.  What it comes down to it is just the RR with lights and DOT tires.  

I have been loving my 17 RR-S.  To be able to hoon off road and go anywhere I have wanted to and have the bike get me through, then to be able to ride to work the very next day and have the bike perform like it was never taken off-road is just awesome.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Nicolarr said:

I completly agree i live 10 mins from some really nice single track so i ride there before work and than ride to work. I had mine up too 155km/h w the stock gearing. The bike hauls ass.

The bike does haul the mail but, and here comes the butt, at least on the street it is not all that much fun going over 50 mph, at least for me it is not.  

I've balanced, as best I can, the front tire with some spoke weights but I'm glad that I don't need to do much over 40 mph on the roads I travel.  Still, on the trails and dirt roads, the bike does pull and pull hard.  I just put a quick turn throttle cam on from G2 and it has made the bike even more beastly.  

155 km/h is 96 mph.  I have had my bike up to 83 mph on a dirt road with 13/48 gearing.  It was more than enough for me.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

The bike does haul the mail but, and here comes the butt, at least on the street it is not all that much fun going over 50 mph, at least for me it is not.  

I've balanced, as best I can, the front tire with some spoke weights but I'm glad that I don't need to do much over 40 mph on the roads I travel.  Still, on the trails and dirt roads, the bike does pull and pull hard.  I just put a quick turn throttle cam on from G2 and it has made the bike even more beastly.  

155 km/h is 96 mph.  I have had my bike up to 83 mph on a dirt road with 13/48 gearing.  It was more than enough for me.  

There’s never a free lunch. It’s not a heavy road bike. It’s a street legal lighter dirt bike . It’s a balance. It’s not a street bike . It’s my idea of a great street legal dirt bike that can be raced too and a bunch of others idea of it too. .

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

There’s never a free lunch. It’s not a heavy road bike. It’s a street legal lighter dirt bike . It’s a balance. It’s not a street bike . It’s my idea of a great street legal dirt bike that can be raced too and a bunch of others idea of it too. .

I could not care any less about the streetability of the bike.  I wanted the most hard-core, off-road, 500cc dual sport bike money could buy and got it in the RR-S.  

I had all the 1,000 cc bullet-bikes over the past 20 years and surprisingly to me, I have no more desire to ride on the streets other than my 4.5 mile commute to and from work on the Beta.  30-40 mph roads are fun, but the dirt is a LOT more fun.  

• Like 3

I could not care any less about the streetability of the bike.  I wanted the most hard-core, off-road, 500cc dual sport bike money could buy and got it in the RR-S.  
I had all the 1,000 cc bullet-bikes over the past 20 years and surprisingly to me, I have no more desire to ride on the streets other than my 4.5 mile commute to and from work on the Beta.  30-40 mph roads are fun, but the dirt is a LOT more fun.  

Obiviously the rr's are dirtbikes made for the most extreme terrain but the fact that you can ride it anywhere including the street was the selling point for me. Bike is not meant for top speed im just stateing how fast it can go stock. I think this bike is perfect stock i have no plans on modifying anything yet. I understand that the higher speeds on the roads are a bit uncomfortable especially for older dudes that are used to riding cruisers (; have fun play hard change oil baby.
  • Like 1

The RR-S is just about perfect.  

Since I got mine 02/22/2017, I replaced both tires with Pirelli Scorpion Pro's/DOT.

G2 Quick Turn throtle/aluminum throttle tube.

Tuff Lites turn signals F/R and an LED $7 flasher

Motominded Baja Designs Squadron Pro headlight.  

Replaced headpipe with stock and carbon fiber pipe guard

Broke upper chain guard-left off and not replacing.  

I rotate two Twin Air airfilters

That is all.  There is nothing else, right now, that I want or need for the bike other than a new rear tire will be needed as I have almost 1,600 miles on the bike now.  

6 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I must say I'm pretty happy with my 500 RR-S on the pavement up to about 70, but it's comfort zone cruising speed is about 65 with the 15/50 gearing I'm currently running. Much over 70 and the wind blast gets tiresome anyway.  It seems for a lot of the riding I end up doing out here some sections of pavement become inevitable one way or another. 

I bought the bike for it's dual sport capability and I've been 100% pleased with how it works once I got things sorted out. 

So far this is where I'm at with "functional" mods that affect how it works for Dual Sport use;

Removed rim locks and had both wheels machine balanced, runs very smooth now at speed.

I'm currently running D606 tires F & R but will be changing when the rear is gone. I'm still undecided for the next set.

I've tried different gearing and I found 15/50 near ideal "all a round" gearing with a cush drive rear sprocket

Seat Concepts standard height wide nose, it's more comfy than the SC low seat and overall ergos are better.

IMS 4 gal tank.

Highway Dirt Bikes hand guards w/mirrors.

Scotts under bar steering stablizer to calm things down at freeway speeds.

G2 throttle with the 650X cam.

Heat Demon heated grips.

Nomadic tail rack with Wolfman Peak tail bag.

Wolfman Enduro tank bag.

Motominded Squadron Pro headlight with dimmer.

Sicass Racing LED turn signals F & R.

RAM GPS mount for my Garmin 60cx with hard wired power.

The other stuff I've done is protection related, cleaning stuff up, etc. Here's a photo of the bike how it looks currently.

20626636_10212207863546030_2839323725945 

• Like 2

Multi day enduro. From 1000+ mile Iron Butt, 850+ mile Death Valley tour, and easy 300 mile day rides. I have found this bike does it all. The "dig deep" moments come in after 300 miles in the saddle. I have found that's the downfall of of my Beta. It's a tough day in the saddle only after the 300 mile mark.

Here it is all set up at about 350lbs. As you see it here it has everything to do cross country touring. The Big Block tires ensure traction and 3000 miles of on/off road performance. Spare clothes, tools, tire repair, toiletries everything packed in a very compact package. Last Death Valley ride The big GS boys could not believe how I could live off a bike with so little. As long as you keep the miles under 300 per day it's a very pleasant and enjoyable ride.

IMG_2499.JPG.a202b5c689f2374cc9cc47e4dceeecfd.JPG

Been to Death Valley twice on the Beta. Here was a shorter 350+ mile day ride staged from Dumont Dunes with 2 wheelsets. One day in the dunes next day touring DV. 

100_4385.JPG.2eea6a159241a51baa6e5971a8edabfd.JPG100_4464.JPG.57792539228301a4d9d248ca3aa4e968.JPG

Practicing for Iron Butt. At 200 miles reach down and switch tank valve. Then go another 100 miles and look for fuel. It's a little tough riding almost 350 miles non stop on this kind of bike. It's very doable though. 

100_4356.JPG.b8740a84a518cbc9ea071587da7a821e.JPG

As far as wheel balance, I simply install rim lock and tube. Then balance just the wheel with stick on weights inside rim over the spokes. I then mount tire and balance using spoke weights. The Big Blocks are very difficult to balance. I have to put spoke weights in a few places to get them close to perfect.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nicolarr said:

Im glad to see/ hear about all the 500 dualsport enthusiasts it why i created the thread i want to know what others are doing with there "gentil giants" .keep the posts coming any comments on fuel milage would be cool..

Depends on gearing and throttle hand. I'm currently running 15/41 gearing. 

2012 498. I have only one good ride with that gearing. The big bore will do over 100mph with just about any gearing. I ran a 12/48 in the desert and it would still push over 100mph in 6th gear without hitting rev limiter. With my usual 15/45 I had to drop it into 5th for anything high speed.

My main reason for the 15/41 is to be able to cruise at 70-80mph in comfort with less vibration at the bars. So far it's working out well. My hands get numb only for the first few hours of the day. When offroad in sand and rocks it still does great in the lower gears without slipping clutch. 

Ignorance on my part, never knew that you had to balance the wheels.  The 500rs cruises at 60 mph without any issues.  There is some vibration, but figured that was the norm for any dirt bike.  I'm running the 606 on the front and the mountain hybrid on the rear.  Have 14-48 gearing and has been great all around.  Use the suggested synthetic Motul oil for both gear box and engine oil.  Awesome all around bike.