2018 BETA THUMPERS REVIEW: RR350 RR390 RR430 & RR480

For what it’s worth. I have a 2015 350rr. I bought it new in October 2014. First year and model Beta put FI on. I have never once used the kick starter. That doesn’t mean I’m going to remove it though. I also have understood since the first day of having it if the battery is completely dead it will not run. Regardless of it having a backup kick start.
I have used the kicker on my 15 500rs just to see how it is.

As for the original subject. I am expecting delivery of a 390rr-s in the next week or so. I’m really looking forward to getting it and thanks for posting this video.

I know even less about electricity than I do susp. Why can't the bike(s) be kick started with a dead battery?

26 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

I know even less about electricity than I do susp. Why can't the bike(s) be kick started with a dead battery?

They can if there's enough capacity left in the battery to power the fuel pump. 

Most instances are a low battery that isn't able to power the starter but enough for the fuel pump. In this scenario kick starting or bump starting the bike works  fine.  

If battery was completely dead, then you'd need the emergency jump start kit or you could carry a light lithium battery as a backup. 

On 10/5/2017 at 5:10 AM, danketchpel said:

Great review as usual.

I'm wondering if the new clutch and gear shift mechanism will fit my 2017. It looks like the new clutch has more springs which should really help with pressure plate flex and stability. Question is, how much for a whole clutch assembly???

I will eventually replace my Motobatt AGM with a Shorai LiFe battery so I'll achieve some of that weight loss. But the kick starter stays on.

i think there would be much cheaper ways to do this... e.g. one dollar's worth of washers will give you around the same result. 

5 hours ago, firffighter said:

Most instances are a low battery that isn't able to power the starter but enough for the fuel pump. In this scenario kick starting or bump starting the bike works  fine.  

If battery was completely dead, then you'd need the emergency jump start kit or you could carry a light lithium battery as a backup. 

Thanks for the reminder why I like my carbureted 520 so much. Had to kick it recently for the first time, glad the kick start worked when the battery gave up.  Still, those new lighter FI bikes sure do look nice.

1 hour ago, desertrat28 said:

Thanks for the reminder why I like my carbureted 520 so much. Had to kick it recently for the first time, glad the kick start worked when the battery gave up.  Still, those new lighter FI bikes sure do look nice.

These modern FI bikes and starting systems aren't prone to failure and there's definitely no issues with guys unable to get their bikes started.

FI is just part of the progression of dirt bikes and is here to stay. 

Being a long time 2 stroke guy, I was hesitant at 1st, but my '17 runs and performs flawlessly and is simply amazing. 

I'll take progress over the fear of a infantile chance of a FI bike not starting. Besides, there's a host of other things that can fail you while out dirt biking. 

On 10/4/2017 at 1:41 PM, randysoo said:

Just one of those micro start battery jumpers is all you need if you're worried about it

Or a kickstarter 

7 hours ago, OZ DRZ said:

i think there would be much cheaper ways to do this... e.g. one dollar's worth of washers will give you around the same result. 

I just saw this vid once and noticed that mexmex sells lighter springs on his site too for clutches. Two enduro?? Or something like that...the site that sells the softer carb springs anyway. I had the mid lever on my 13 300rr then never bothered getting one for my 15 300rr.... but hey if it’s better why not. The washer way sure is cheap. Can’t beat the price. It’s not that bad stock. This is totally backward of the opposite mod I did putting cr 500 clutch springs in my cr 250. It didn’t bother me on that bike.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
On 2017-10-03 at 1:50 PM, OZ DRZ said:

2018 BETA RR350
So let's look at the individual models, starting with the 2018 RR350. While it is lighter and has more low end power, it has the same characteristics as last year's RR350. It is essentially the same weight as its bigger brothers, but less reciprocating mass does mean you can throw it around in corners more. Surprising grunt but it really comes alive the more you rev it. For more details, see our old RR350 review here.

Your contradicting yourself a bit here my friend.The lessening of the gyroscopic effect due to the lighter reciprocating mass in the 350 becomes negated the higher you rev it. More torque equals fewer rpm's to get the same job done.Ive got a 350 sxf and a 570 rfs and can ride both at the same pace.Its bleeding the energy which requires a bit more work on the 570.

Edited by widebear
clarity
14 hours ago, firffighter said:

These modern FI bikes and starting systems aren't prone to failure and there's definitely no issues with guys unable to get their bikes started.

FI is just part of the progression of dirt bikes and is here to stay. 

Being a long time 2 stroke guy, I was hesitant at 1st, but my '17 runs and performs flawlessly and is simply amazing. 

I'll take progress over the fear of a infantile chance of a FI bike not starting. Besides, there's a host of other things that can fail you while out dirt biking. 

infantile??? ;)

22 hours ago, firffighter said:

Have you ever bump started your bike yet? That’s a good drill to do now just to see how hard or easy it is. Can start in a nice easy flat area then progressively go to harder terrain to try. Then to see how to do that at a bottom of a ravine or in muddy conditions or in a rock garden. Depending on what terrain riding can make a huge difference. I’ve had a hard time bump starting my 525. It wasn’t necessarily easy  even kicking over the bike with a kickstarter for that matter.. especially if the bike is overheating in hard sectiions. It’s a bitch but if the estart is out from a dead battery it works. Let’s see how the 18 Beta 4 stroke guys do with no kicker and riding harder enduro do. Everything will be revealed in time.. good.. bad or in between. But really I don’t think many here have even tried to bump start their 4 stroke Betas. I have with my 525 and my 350. Everyone should try that first. 

Im sticking to a kicker and a carb. Everyone else can go the efi route and the no kicker way. I’ll see how it all goes. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
On 10/4/2017 at 8:28 PM, Balkan boy said:

A helicopter rescue will probably be cheaper. 

screenshot-www.betausa.com-2017-10-05-08-26-03-839.jpeg

No it won’t. This is where a 17 and earlier are better than an 18 Beta. At least with Beta there’s an option some brands you don’t 

You know this bump starting your 4 stroke Beta thing has me thinking. For me only if my 525 or 350 was already on a down hill would I have a chance to bump start and it would have to be in a much higher gear etc. . Flat ground? No way.. not by myself anyway. If someone was there to push me ok.. but in the trail on bumpy ground? I’d have to kick to start for sure. 

But what I’m interested in now is who here actually bump started their 4 stroke and not had a kicker??? I mean a bunch say yea I could bump start but for me unless I’m already facing down a long hill? No fricken way the bike is bump starting. Even with a 2 stroke it ain’t that easy.. unless a 125 or 200 maybe.. but it’s significantly easier than a 4 stroke to me. So everyone .. who here has done it and think it’s easy.. and in what situations and what bike.??? 

5 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

infantile??? ;)

Phone autocorrect. Supposed to be finite.   Phone probably trying to tell me something,  as in, "discussions on dirt bike sites are usually infantile". :smashpc:

The lessening of the gyroscopic effect due to the lighter reciprocating mass becomes negated the higher you rev it.

Wat? You've got that backwards. The gyroscopic force increases the higher you rev it. So the higher you rev it, the 'heavier' the bike will handle.

The no kick starter issue has been discussed agnosium on different sites as Sherco, and recent KTM thumpers no longer have them.  

I personally haven't heard any guys sharing that these bikes have left them stranded. If so, it must be rare as it would be bantered about thoroughly. 

Sherco has had a very successful year in extreme enduro with Wade Young and Littenbichler podiums on the Red bull circuit. No kick start on their bikes.  

Edited by firffighter
58 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

You know this bump starting your 4 stroke Beta thing has me thinking. For me only if my 525 or 350 was already on a down hill would I have a chance to bump start and it would have to be in a much higher gear etc. . Flat ground? No way.. not by myself anyway. If someone was there to push me ok.. but in the trail on bumpy ground? I’d have to kick to start for sure. 

But what I’m interested in now is who here actually bump started their 4 stroke and not had a kicker??? I mean a bunch say yea I could bump start but for me unless I’m already facing down a long hill? No fricken way the bike is bump starting. Even with a 2 stroke it ain’t that easy.. unless a 125 or 200 maybe.. but it’s significantly easier than a 4 stroke to me. So everyone .. who here has done it and think it’s easy.. and in what situations and what bike.??? 

Bump started my 350 several times, small down hill is all thats needed. 

52 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Phone autocorrect. Supposed to be finite.   Phone probably trying to tell me something,  as in, "discussions on dirt bike sites are usually infantile". :smashpc:

:thumbsup: