OZ DRZ

2018 BETA THUMPERS REVIEW: RR350 RR390 RR430 & RR480

179 posts in this topic

Rode my friends 17 390 yesterday when we were setting the course for a HS on a ski hill the end of the month. Starter was awful. Clutch was still dragging hard after they replaced her basket and assembly. She's selling it. 

She couldn't believe how quick my FX would fire up in gear. 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, OZ DRZ said:

with the whole debate about dirt bikes gradually losing their kickstarts, i'm not too worried about this. there are various techniques that will get a bike going easily again, and i suspect in most cases it's really only serious competitors who probably need to order the kickstart kit for this new breed of dirt bikes. keen to hear other's opinions though on this video....

Barry, well done and I agree that it's a non-issue.   My '17 390 has started immediately and flawlessly both in and out of gear.   I also keep my battery conditioned. I've kick started the 390 once just to do it, but other than that, no reason to.  

This is and will be the reality for all dirt bikes here shortly.  It's already the case with Sherco, KTM thumpers, and now Beta.   Like I mentioned previously,  there are several Japanese bikes that have been around for decades without kick start and are considered some of the most reliable dualsports on the planet, aka,  DRZ,  XR650L, etc. 

Again,  if there were issues, it would be an ongoing discussion on many sites with lots of loud capital letters used in frustration. 

The same hysteria occurred and continues with fuel injection.   Change is always faced with lots of "what if's". Seems to be simply progress in the dirt bike industry.

Edited by firffighter

Rode my friends 17 390 yesterday when we were setting the course for a HS on a ski hill the end of the month. Starter was awful. Clutch was still dragging hard after they replaced her basket and assembly. She's selling it. 
She couldn't believe how quick my FX would fire up in gear. 

Interesting that hers is having that problem, my Beta starts in gear no problem. As a matter of fact I almost never switch to neutral on the bike. So I'm starting it gear almost always. My FX started great too, but would require more cranks before lighting. I am referring to a 2 stroke Beta though, so I'm not sure if the Beta 4 strokes tend to be crankier with their starting.

14 minutes ago, NW_drZ said:

Interesting that hers is having that problem, my Beta starts in gear no problem. As a matter of fact I almost never switch to neutral on the bike. So I'm starting it gear almost always. My FX started great too, but would require more cranks before lighting. I am referring to a 2 stroke Beta though, so I'm not sure if the Beta 4 strokes tend to be crankier with their starting.

I get to ride a lot of Betas and the smokers seem to start better. Could be her issue with her clutch. You can pull the clutch in fully with the bike in gear and it won't roll. 

I get to ride a lot of Betas and the smokers seem to start better. Could be her issue with her clutch. You can pull the clutch in fully with the bike in gear and it won't roll. 

That was one of my biggest gripes when I got the bike. How much it dragged and how close the engagement point was to the bars. It got better after about 15 hours but still engages closer than my Yamaha and the KTMs I have road.

All you guys that are complaining about no kick start must be a much of old dudes who don't ride their bikes and type on thumper talk all day long hating on change. Almost all of the new 2018 MX bikes ONLY have electric start. Do you think a factory race team would sacrifice losing a championship if they thought the reliability of the electric start system wasn't there? Come on haters, wake up. I know you're entitled to your own opinion but there comes a point when your opinion has no leg to stand on...end rant.

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, gaortiz said:

All you guys that are complaining about no kick start must be a much of old dudes who don't ride their bikes and type on thumper talk all day long hating on change. Almost all of the new 2018 MX bikes ONLY have electric start. Do you think a factory race team would sacrifice losing a championship if they thought the reliability of the electric start system wasn't there? Come on haters, wake up. I know you're entitled to your own opinion but there comes a point when your opinion has no leg to stand on...end rant.

You mad bro? Get lost trying to type in your Vital password? 

Some people like a kicker, what do you care? 

1 person likes this

You mad bro? Get lost trying to type in your Vital password? 
Some people like a kicker, what do you care? 

Not mad at all actually. Quite happy. I've got a 2018 Beta 500 RR-S on order with NO KICKER! If Beta engineers deemed a kick start not necessary then trust them. They know better than you or I. Don't judge it until you try it out. Don't be ignorant....

1 minute ago, gaortiz said:

Not mad at all actually. Quite happy. I've got a 2018 Beta 500 RR-S on order with NO KICKER! If Beta engineers deemed a kick start not necessary then trust them. They know better than you or I. Don't judge it until you try it out. Don't be ignorant....

Lol, if you are going to use an example of excellent engineers, don't pick Italian ones from Beta! Engineers are some of the dumbest smart people I know. What exactly makes you think I'm ignorant? I owned the first Estart only bike KTM produced. I'm making an assumption here but I have a feeling I have more experience with Estart only bikes than you do. Anything can fail, some people like a fail safe. If that's what they like how is it any of your business? 

Pretty happy I have a kicker on my FX when a brand new Lithium battery failed in the bottom of a gulley with 500m climbs on each side. Only time I ever had to use my kicker but man was I glad Yamaha put it there. 

2 people like this

Lol, if you are going to use an example of excellent engineers, don't pick Italian ones from Beta! Engineers are some of the dumbest smart people I know. What exactly makes you think I'm ignorant? I owned the first Estart only bike KTM produced. I'm making an assumption here but I have a feeling I have more experience with Estart only bikes than you do. Anything can fail, some people like a fail safe. If that's what they like how is it any of your business? 

Pretty happy I have a kicker on my FX when a brand new Lithium battery failed in the bottom of a gulley with 500m climbs on each side. Only time I ever had to use my kicker but man was I glad Yamaha put it there. 

You say anything can fail. Technology would never advance if it was up to you, or we would need a back up for the better technology even though it's better and more reliable. I've owned e-start bikes for a long time. I NEVER had a problem with the e-start itself. It was usually a dead battery. And you know what, I push started the bike and it fired right up. You can like old technology all you want but I hate to break it to you, even older tech, good ole momentum, will get your thumper started again. What's the point of carrying a 4-6lb paper weight then? I don't care what you guys use on your bikes...but what I do hate is the mentality that older is better and the constant complaining. Having vast experience in engineering I hate seeing no advancement in tech and requiring a "back up" to the superior tech. It makes absolutely no sense and is counter productive. Continue on with your complaining...Beta engineers or any other engineers aren't going to give a crap about it because if they did nothing new would ever come out...
1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, gaortiz said:

You say anything can fail. Technology would never advance if it was up to you, or we would need a back up for the better technology even though it's better and more reliable. I've owned e-start bikes for a long time. I NEVER had a problem with the e-start itself. It was usually a dead battery. And you know what, I push started the bike and it fired right up. You can like old technology all you want but I hate to break it to you, even older tech, good ole momentum, will get your thumper started again. What's the point of carrying a 4-6lb paper weight then? I don't care what you guys use on your bikes...but what I do hate is the mentality that older is better and the constant complaining. Having vast experience in engineering I hate seeing no advancement in tech and requiring a "back up" to the superior tech. It makes absolutely no sense and is counter productive. Continue on with your complaining...Beta engineers or any other engineers aren't going to give a crap about it because if they did nothing new would ever come out...

You should stop making assumptions about me, you are starting to get pretty annoying. Please don't post anymore of my feelings, complaints you are making up that I have never actually said myself. You're starting to sound like a dumbass. Your opinion is your opinion. If you don't like other people's input or opinions maybe you should post somewhere else. Maybe Town Square or Vital. 

Anything can fail, some people like a fail safe.

Yep, I'm putting words in your mouth. Did I hurt your feelings? I'm sorry. Good day! Go back to your FX forums. You guys got a lot of issues to deal with. Have a great day!

4 minutes ago, gaortiz said:

Yep, I'm putting words in your mouth. Did I hurt your feelings? I'm sorry. Good day! Go back to your husky FX forums. You guys got a lot of issues to deal with. Have a great day!emoji8.png

Well, yeah, you kind of did. Hurt feelings? Lol, no not at all. I just stopped in here for a minute because I ride a lot of Betas and get to spend a lot of time with every model.

I guess I could go to the Husky forum but I don't think I've ever actually posted there. I own a Yamaha at the moment. 

20 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Man, you sure have a lot of pent up hate!

Wow George, I don't think my tone is much different than yours in many of the posts you make on a regular basis. 

Cant say I have much Pent up hate, I rode 3 times this week.

Spent 4 hours riding a HS course we are mapping and taping on a ski hill for a race next week. It was gnarly man. Like Romaniacs nasty in many spots. 

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

Posted (edited)

I was referring to gaortiz's post just before yours. You snuck in too quick. :thumbsup: Re-read his and I am sure you will understand. That is a beautiful area to ride, you are very lucky.

Edited by YHGEORGE

7 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

I was referring to gaortiz's post just before yours. You snuck in too quick. Re-read his and I am sure you will understand. That is a beautiful area to ride, you are very lucky.

Thanks bud, we have nice riding here but I'd love a little more soil and less rock and roots. 

Did you find a new bike yet? 

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, OZ DRZ said:

with the whole debate about dirt bikes gradually losing their kickstarts, i'm not too worried about this. there are various techniques that will get a bike going easily again, and i suspect in most cases it's really only serious competitors who probably need to order the kickstart kit for this new breed of dirt bikes. keen to hear other's opinions though on this video....

The simple truth is a kicker on your bike is the straight most reliable starter there is. It weighs very little. Taking away a starter is breaking what works well. The reality is manufacturers get to screw us over under the guise of making our bikes “lighter”. I’m just not buying it just because Beta and other manufacturers are spoon feeding this crap to us. If it was so great why haven’t Beta owners taken their kick starters on their bikes for many years now?? They haven’t.They could have because all in the name of making their bikes”lighter “. That’s a crock of shit and it’s an excuse to charge $400 more to the bike for what comes stock in 2017 in Betas case. At least Beta has the option to put one on But it’s still shitty. I ride in mud a lot of the year and I ride alone sometimes. Also no way will my 525 push start at the bottom of a ravine in rocks etc. I’m experienced way too many times with batteries that die for a variety of reasons. It’s been hard enough to kick start at times. .. and carrying a starter charger? Good idea but that also needs maintenance to be charged now. It’s another chore to do that I didn’t need to do. .. and another thing to carry in my pack??I have too much in there already. As it is I have to be prepared with tools etc because too many other riders come with nothing but maybe water. I’ve also had the portable charger and it not work. That’s pissed me off too .I do like the tires back to back method to start the bike. That’s a good one. .. But.       All this crap goes away with a kick starter.   Honestly I als think everyone should get their 4 strokes and push start them to see how that works in real life. See how hard it is in a bottom of a ravine in mud and rocks. That’s what I have. It doesn’t work. Maybe where some guys ride the terrain makes it easier.It doesn’t for me. I’d say for all you guys who have 2018 no kicker Beta 4 strokes. Do some push starts and rethink getting a kick starter or not. Honestly.. Really.. go to your bike and push start it in the trail or wherever. Know how hard it is now before you have to do it when your battery dies because at some time your battery will die for one reason or another. Oh and make sure you have extra fuses as sometimes a fuse will blow and no estart. It’s an easy switch out but if you have no fuse you will be push starting without a kicker.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
1 person likes this

Here's a question that has occurred for many guys over the years, what happens when you break or strip the teeth on your kick starter? 

This has been more of a real problem that many have experienced over the years with non e-start bikes.  Some bikes were notorious for weak kick starters and guys carried an extra with them.

What if you destroy a radiator and loose all cooling? What if you put a hole in your case and loose all of your oil? These, and many more, are real situations we all consider as dirt bikers.

I guess the reality is there are always going to be "what if" situations.   Face it, we are riding a piece of machinery in nasty terrain and can run into a myriad of situations that could render you stranded.  

Probably best solution is to just be as prepared as possible for any situation where you can find your bike incapacitated. 

3 people like this

Here's a question that has occurred for many guys over the years, what happens when you break or strip the teeth on your kick starter? 
This has been more of a real problem that many have experienced over the years with non e-start bikes.  Some bikes were notorious for weak kick starters and guys carried an extra with them.
What if you destroy a radiator and loose all cooling? What if you put a hole in your case and loose all of your oil? These, and many more, are real situations we all consider as dirt bikers.
I guess the reality is there are always going to be "what if" situations.   Face it, we are riding a piece of machinery in nasty terrain and can run into a myriad of situations that could render you stranded.  
Probably best solution is to just be as prepared as possible for any situation where you can find your bike incapacitated. 

Amen!!! You pulled the words right out of my mouth and put them together in a more tactful way! Thank you! Love your youtube channel BTW!