Will brake lights work on XT350 with no battery?

I noticed my battery had been dying out . I looked and its completely dry for some reason. However when I went to take it off the positive terminal broke off from corrosion. 

I wanted to make sure it was rideable without the battery connected and I noticed my brake light and turn signals aren't working. I know the turn signals worked yesterday but I'm not sure about the brake light. Are these things that just don't work without the battery being attached? And why would the battery have run dry?

I'm hoping that that is the case. I love this bike but anyone who has been following my posts knows that I have a mysterious rattle noise at the front sprocket when the suspension shakes and I need to purchase a new rear shock. A new battery is no big deal but if I now have brake lights and turn signals mysteriously not working I think I am going to have to give up on the bike. It makes me want to shed a tear because I love the bike so much and literally ride it everywhere every day. But I lost my job and can't afford to just have a mechanic rework all the issues and some of these things are just out of my scope. If the brake lights and such should be working with the battery out and that is now a whole new problem, I think that is going to be it for my XT and my riding days in general :( people told me to give up on this bike a long time ago but I've always managed to keep it going

Edited by Thatslyb

Not 100% sure on your particular bike, but Yamaha usually runs the brake and turn lights off of the battery.  Easy way to test is to run a jumper cable from a car or truck to your battery terminals on the bike and see if it cures the problem.  

Older style batteries with removable vent caps require regular inspection and addition of water.  It is normal for them to consume some water in regular use.  They are NOT "Maintenance Free" designs like the newer sealed AGM batteries.  Amazon.com has good battery prices.

Don't loose heart over problems with an old bike.  Minor problems will always happen, and are an opportunity for you to learn skills that will last you a lifetime.  I turned my early experiences with cheap car and motorcycle problems and repairs into a 45 year career as a mechanic.

Edited by BluePill