• Announcements

• Bryan Bosch

ON SALE!   12/06/2017

Up to 20% off Yuasa Batteries & Battery Accessories!
TommyT15

Advice on 300rr vs Trainer

65 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so I headed to a local dealer to check out some used bikes and the owner of the shop got to talking with me and showed me some of the betas. First time at these dealer so never had been around these bikes, but he swears by them. Saying they're one of the best woods bikes you can buy. Now, I have some experience on bikes, had a pit bike(pitster pro) as well as a crf250 and rmz450, just woods riding bikes. I've never owned a 2 stroke and I'm really interested in the 300 trainer or the 300rr Enduro? What the bike had written on it. I'm not a beginner rider but I'm not a hard experienced rider, is a 300 2 stroke too much bike for me? I know it has power valve .. I just don't want a 8k bike that I am not ready for or shouldn't be riding. Thanks for the info guys, recommendations welcomed!

Hey guys, so I headed to a local dealer to check out some used bikes and the owner of the shop got to talking with me and showed me some of the betas. First time at these dealer so never had been around these bikes, but he swears by them. Saying they're one of the best woods bikes you can buy. Now, I have some experience on bikes, had a pit bike(pitster pro) as well as a crf250 and rmz450, just woods riding bikes. I've never owned a 2 stroke and I'm really interested in the 300 trainer or the 300rr Enduro? What the bike had written on it. I'm not a beginner rider but I'm not a hard experienced rider, is a 300 2 stroke too much bike for me? I know it has power valve .. I just don't want a 8k bike that I am not ready for or shouldn't be riding. Thanks for the info guys, recommendations welcomed!

Good question, I have ridden many years now. I've had CR250 2 strokes mostly. I've also had 500 cc two strokes and XR's. I've ridden new 450's. With that said: last year I bought a Beta 300 "race" I've never ridden the Xtrainer. But man the 300 is the most rideable bike I've ever ridden. 450 have great power etc. but you have to set up the Japanese bikes s lot. Out of the box the Beta 300 has great, suspension, jetting, all kinds of bling, fmf etc. but the greatest part is it's stability, power, low end and high rom power with no hesitation. Bike flat out rips. But in slow technical terrain it is your best friend. Doesn't stall. Chugs great! I'm 5-9" 190. It's like it was built for me. The faster you go the better it gets!! It just handles everything amazing. I'm not a professional. I only know what I know. I've raced motocross and hair scrambles C level stuff. I want to tell the world how great this bike is. Lots of bikes to choose from these days. I have absolutely no regrets buying the 300 2 stroke. Can't help with the Xtrainer but I've seen on utube they are great in technical stuff, less power, lower seat height. Good luck in your choice!
3 people like this

Howdy,

With bikes like that in your past, I would go the RR300 way.  I have been away from 2 strokes for 30 years, and the RR300 I bought 3 years ago was a revelation. Did nothing to it less adjust the float level, and have ridden it for 200 hours now. It can be adjusted simply by the powervalve to be a tame, electric motor like, through to snappy and agressive. Then you have the rain button for tweaking agression too. But in either of those modes, its just one SWEEEEEET ride. 

I think you would outgrow the Xtrainer fast. Nothing against it, just you'll have more room to grow with the RR300. Three years ago I always kept the rain button on, and had the powervalve down nice and mild. I quickly grew to love the engine and extract just what I needed out of it in different gnarly terrain. 

There's no down side to picking up an RR300:)

3 hours ago, TommyT15 said:

I'm 23, 6'1 and 195lbs.

I'm about the same size as you. I bought the XT for my wife. I'll say this; the bike is ridiculously easy to ride. It's on the short side for our height, but just a ton of fun and an awesome play bike. I emphasize play. My bike is a woods set up 450R, and I've been riding hers  the last 2 months! If I was buying it for myself, probably I would have gone with the RR. Having ridden the XT now, well that becomes a harder choice. If you're going to do any kind of hare scramble type riding, get the RR. For flat out fun, get the XT.

3 people like this

300rr is amazing, and not too much. You will ask yourself what took so long to get one after you ride.
This coming from a guy that was riding a yz450f in the woods. Dealer was right, amazing woods bike.

2 people like this

I own an XT and rode a 250 and a 300rr. If you don't need the low seat height, mild motor and the lighter weight get the RR. If you think you will race get the RR. XT is a great bike and as posted above you will out grow it.

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thank you for all the feed back! It seems like the RR is the way to go.. that’s even what the dealership mentioned. How is the parts availability and oem prices for rebuilds and such? Always like to plan ahead. The weight of the RR is very appealing too and looks are unmatched after seeing it. Some shercos were next to it and a couple gasgas but as my dealer said.. them boys that sip the orange juice, once they taste the red/white juice they drop there cups lol

1 person likes this

I wouldn't worry about rebuilds since Beta's 2t can go a long time before needing anything. Setting the float is a must! I'm a Sherco guy but not a 2t with the questionable e-start. 2018 are said to be fixed but time will tell. I also wouldn't rule out an orange/white bike before riding one of the 2017-2018 models if there's a dealer local.

I wouldn't worry about rebuilds since Beta's 2t can go a long time before needing anything. Setting the float is a must! I'm a Sherco guy but not a 2t with the questionable e-start. 2018 are said to be fixed but time will tell. I also wouldn't rule out an orange/white bike before riding one of the 2017-2018 models if there's a dealer local.

I've found the beta parts are expensive. That would not change my mind, I'm glad I got the 300 RR. My advice be if they offer the Race version get it. Love mine

I just wish I wasn’t looking at a 9500 out the door price.. lol

1 person likes this

I just wish I wasn’t looking at a 9500 out the door price.. lol

I paid 9,700 out the door for my 2017 RR race 300 last feb. worth every penny! I'd do it again no questions asked

On 10/5/2017 at 8:27 PM, Unstoppable120s said:

I've found the beta parts are expensive. That would not change my mind, I'm glad I got the 300 RR. My advice be if they offer the Race version get it. Love mine

Really??? Compared to what?? I had a cr 250 honda before and the prices are the same or less... plus there’s enough aftermarket now. Beta  300s have been out since 2013 and if anything prices have gone down. Yea I think if I’d buy now I’d get a race edition too .

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
1 person likes this

I have actually found prices to be reasonable and easy to get but that can depend on your dealer as well. There is a growing rapidly aftermarket for these as well. I have the 300RR and find it easy to set up how you want power to be delivered. If you want to ride at a slower pace and have fun hopping onto and off stuff at slow speeds XT may be the way to go, but suspension will be taxed as speeds go up if left stock.

As far as Race Edition- I like the oil injection, OC forks on the RR, and while I like some of the items on the RE, for me I would chose some other parts as being more important. If it came with Ultra heavy tubes, on S12 tires, pipe and linkage guards, spark arrester, bark buster handguards- I would really consider the RE. Could always do BYOB but some parts you don't get credit for so I like to buy what I want, put the stock parts on a shelf and put them back on when selling the bike and transfer good stuff over to the new bike. Everyone has their preferences of course, and bike set up is different in different areas.

1 person likes this

Really??? Compared to what?? I had a cr 250 honda before and the prices are the same or less... plus there’s enough aftermarket now. Beta  300s have been out since 2013 and if anything prices have gone down. Yea I think if I’d buy now I’d get a race edition too .

Well, in my experience I had a Honda 07 CR250, 01 Cr250 and an 89 CR125 and getting parts was easy, the price I guess was expensive at the dealer but like say, a moto tosanari rad valve" I'd was the same for every bike right? But Honda factory nuts and bolt etc might kinda expensive but I wanted factory stuff, anyway, with the new Beta the parts website is not that great and funky to navigate. I haven't bought much for it yet. I'd like to eliminate the thermostat with a new hose kit. It's 180.00 for some hoses. Kinda expensive no? Do you have a better place to get parts for beta? The closest dealer is 3 hours away from where I live. I'll take any recommendations. I also noticed on the factory Beta parts browsing a lot of 2017 parts options aren't even there. It only goes to 2015, 2016 parts not 2017. I love Beta but all I'm saying is from what I see the on line parts are hard to navigate etc. let me know if there is a better way. Thx
1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Unstoppable120s said:

Well, in my experience I had a Honda 07 CR250, 01 Cr250 and an 89 CR125 and getting parts was easy, the price I guess was expensive at the dealer but like say, a moto tosanari rad valve" I'd was the same for every bike right? But Honda factory nuts and bolt etc might kinda expensive but I wanted factory stuff, anyway, with the new Beta the parts website is not that great and funky to navigate. I haven't bought much for it yet. I'd like to eliminate the thermostat with a new hose kit. It's 180.00 for some hoses. Kinda expensive no? Do you have a better place to get parts for beta? The closest dealer is 3 hours away from where I live. I'll take any recommendations. I also noticed on the factory Beta parts browsing a lot of 2017 parts options aren't even there. It only goes to 2015, 2016 parts not 2017. I love Beta but all I'm saying is from what I see the on line parts are hard to navigate etc. let me know if there is a better way. Thx

As far as the hose just go on eBay. It’s way cheaper plus can’t the thermostat be taken out without changing the hose? Free is a lot cheaper than changing hose. . Just google Beta radiator hose  and or thermostat and start reading what comes up. As far as 2016 and 2017 I thought the parts are exactly the same? What’s the difference in both bikes? I didn’t think there was much of anything. I’ve gone to my dealer for parts or Sierra motor etc. There are other parts sites but I’ve rarely gone but they’re there. I try to go to my dealer first. I’ve gotten parts easier and faster than my 01 cr 250 honda. I guess it’s dependi on where you live. Still Beta is really an exotic and I expected the prices to be much higher than Honda. It’s not. .. but of course honda prices are expensive. I realized this when I just wanted a side cover gasket for my cr250 and it was about $25. I’d say spend time in the cross reference threads and scroll through a bunch of threads here to familiarize yourself with what everyone here’s been doing for their Betas. For the original poster you have a dealer and parts come super fast from my dealer and I live in Hawaii. Parts availability is another reason I’m a Beta rider 3 times over.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Beta Parts are not more expensive and are not hard to get.  Buy the 300RR.  Better bike for you.

Or buy both! haha