TommyT15

Advice on 300rr vs Trainer

36 posts in this topic

As far as the hose just go on eBay. It’s way cheaper plus can’t the thermostat be taken out without changing the hose? Free is a lot cheaper than changing hose. . Just google Beta radiator hose  and or thermostat and start reading what comes up. As far as 2016 and 2017 I thought the parts are exactly the same? What’s the difference in both bikes? I didn’t think there was much of anything. I’ve gone to my dealer for parts or Sierra motor etc. There are other parts sites but I’ve rarely gone but they’re there. I try to go to my dealer first. I’ve gotten parts easier and faster than my 01 cr 250 honda. I guess it’s dependi on where you live. Still Beta is really an exotic and I expected the prices to be much higher than Honda. It’s not. .. but of course honda prices are expensive. I realized this when I just wanted a side cover gasket for my cr250 and it was about $25. I’d say spend time in the cross reference threads and scroll through a bunch of threads here to familiarize yourself with what everyone here’s been doing for their Betas. For the original poster you have a dealer and parts come super fast from my dealer and I live in Hawaii. Parts availability is another reason I’m a Beta rider 3 times over.

Thanks Hawaii guy! I have googled etc. I was not sure if the 15, 16 and 2017 were same on most parts or not. That was a question I had. If they are the same, perfect! I'm not complaining at all. I'm in love with my 17 RR300 "Race" phenomenal bike. It's funny how there are beta haters out there. Like me, I was on CR250 two strokes since the mid 90's I just found out about Beta like a year ago the bought my 300 last feb after doing research. These guys on here saying things like. "Beta, the only bike heavier than the truck that it came in on" full on hate. I just shake my head. I've ridden 450's, husky 350's, KTM 250xc's XR's CR's KX's new and old. In my opinion my Beta from the crack of the throttle to the high RPM's it's the best thing I've ever ridden. "My opinion" I bet the 2018 are even better. Not for motocross "but I swear I could race moto on it and do well" but for of road riding the thing rocks. Not there aren't other good bikes. I just think for my type of riding I'm on the perfect machine. I could never say that before. The CR's ripped! But that doesn't mean they will work well on wet uphill tree roots and up rock faces or funky slow technical single track like in Moab Utah. Enough said. Thanks for the help guys.
2 people like this

One advantage of having a japanese mx bike is the huge volume of nice used parts you can get on ebay for dirt cheap. For my xtrainer the used parts on ebay are few and far between. Someone's been parting out a xtrainer there but they somehow think the slightly used parts should cost more than buying new parts from the dealer. :lame:

21 minutes ago, Marylander said:

One advantage of having a japanese mx bike is the huge volume of nice used parts you can get on ebay for dirt cheap. For my xtrainer the used parts on ebay are few and far between. Someone's been parting out a xtrainer there but they somehow think the slightly used parts should cost more than buying new parts from the dealer. :lame:

Yea but who wants a Japanese mx bike? I’ll never want a 5 speed kick start bike ever again... 2 or 4 stroke....especially with power characteristics of an mx bike. There’s always a price. There’s no free lunch. .. and I loved my former mx converted to enduro bike.

Even for an Xtrainer...There’s no comparable bike to an Xtrainer. It stands alone in its own class. Not many are made and they sell out. Supply and demand..You have a very good enduro bike. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

8 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Yea but who wants a Japanese mx bike? I’ll never want a 5 speed kick start bike ever again... 2 or 4 stroke....especially with power characteristics of an mx bike. There’s always a price. There’s no free lunch. .. and I loved my former mx converted to enduro bike.

Even for an Xtrainer...There’s no comparable bike to an Xtrainer. It stands alone in its own class. Not many are made and they sell out. Supply and demand..You have a very good enduro bike. 

Sure, sure, I sold my kx250 a few months ago after riding it once since I bought the xtrainer (and only because I was in the process of hopping up the xt suspension). I only said the availability of nice used parts on ebay was an advantage. It's not nearly enough for me to go back to the kx. ;)

1 person likes this

I suggest the 300RR and richen up the jetting if it has too much hit. You can also stack a cylinder base gasket to lower compression. The thicker base gasket will change the port timing slightly to soften up the abrupt hit off the bottom. You can also adjust the power valve to open up later. 

34 minutes ago, Marylander said:

Sure, sure, I sold my kx250 a few months ago after riding it once since I bought the xtrainer (and only because I was in the process of hopping up the xt suspension). I only said the availability of nice used parts on ebay was an advantage. It's not nearly enough for me to go back to the kx. ;)

hey and a kx250 is a good bike too... like my cr 250 honda was a good bike.. it just can't compare to the simple much better added benefits.. plus you can still mod up more if you feel like it now.. There's no adding an estart to a kx or a 6th gear.. you could get a bigger bore top end but still it's not as good overall.

1 person likes this

Just now, ballisticexchris said:

I suggest the 300RR and richen up the jetting if it has too much hit. You can also stack a cylinder base gasket to lower compression. The thicker base gasket will change the port timing slightly to soften up the abrupt hit off the bottom. You can also adjust the power valve to open up later. 

The bike is so smooth stock but still has hit if you want it. It's so easy to ride Chris...and the jetting is spot on.. for where I am at least. I litterally have done absolutely nothing as far as jetting. It's completely straight out of the box. I know a bunch would cringe at the thought. I kept thinking if I should do some tuning.. almost guilty that I did nothing.. but .. oh wait. I did adjust the float level.... I know right big deal..  I did way more with my cr changing carbs and jets and blah blah blah and that bike worked good too.. but with my 300 rr I've done absolutely nothing and the bike works great. I know that it is a tiny bit fat off the bottom. That's ok ..I can drop the needle one maybe??. I've played with the powervalve a little but no big deal. I put it back in the middle I think. I didn't even change sprockets. I had a bag full of sprockets to change for different races and courses etc on my cr. I was fully expecting this with my rr too. I bought a bigger rear sprocket from dirt tricks and it's still in the package. It's got a nice even semi close spread gear box. I'm also still looking at when my sprocket might need changing but it's lasting super long. Again with my Honda I was changing sprockets way earlier. Honestly it's like there isn't much to do at all to this bike. The rideability element is true. So far my 300rr is the best bike I've owned  overall. 

2 people like this

Just now, hawaiidirtrider said:

The bike is so smooth stock but still has hit if you want it. It's so easy to ride Chris...and the jetting is spot on.. for where I am at least. I litterally have done absolutely nothing as far as jetting. It's completely straight out of the box. I know a bunch would cringe at the thought. I kept thinking if I should do some tuning.. almost guilty that I did nothing.. but .. oh wait. I did adjust the float level.... I know right big deal..  I did way more with my cr changing carbs and jets and blah blah blah and that bike worked good too.. but with my 300 rr I've done absolutely nothing and the bike works great. I know that it is a tiny bit fat off the bottom. That's ok ..I can drop the needle one maybe??. I've played with the powervalve a little but no big deal. I put it back in the middle I think. I didn't even change sprockets. I had a bag full of sprockets to change for different races and courses etc on my cr. I was fully expecting this with my rr too. I bought a bigger rear sprocket from dirt tricks and it's still in the package. It's got a nice even semi close spread gear box. I'm also still looking at when my sprocket might need changing but it's lasting super long. Again with my Honda I was changing sprockets way earlier. Honestly it's like there isn't much to do at all to this bike. The rideability element is true. So far my 300rr is the best bike I've owned  overall. 

I too rode one and was impressed how smooth it was. OTOH, we have to realize there are guys who just have a hard time with the off idle hit of the 300.....

I have a2017 KTM 300xc and it is the best bike I've ever had. I race hare scrambles and it is perfect. I did put on a lektron carb, bark Buster's, Enduro engineering seat and rear grab handle, LED light kits, spark arrestor, and trail tech fan kit. Been in top 5 every time since I got it. Only thought I have is if the 300 xc-w would have been better with the wife rate gears?

Just now, ballisticexchris said:

I too rode one and was impressed how smooth it was. OTOH, we have to realize there are guys who just have a hard time with the off idle hit of the 300.....

There's not even that. The bike is cheating.. Off idle is the bread and butter for technical and with my cr I had to compensate with clutchwork higher throttle as my cr would more easily die.. even with heavy flywheel weight and gearing and other mods..

Look at this.. There's no hit unless I want it too.. It's so super easy to ride . I'm just putting around here... and this is the same bike that I got a holeshot in our last sprint enduro off the mx gate.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, lrbest4x4xfar said:

I have a2017 KTM 300xc and it is the best bike I've ever had. I race hare scrambles and it is perfect. I did put on a lektron carb, bark Buster's, Enduro engineering seat and rear grab handle, LED light kits, spark arrestor, and trail tech fan kit. Been in top 5 every time since I got it. Only thought I have is if the 300 xc-w would have been better with the wife rate gears?

wife rate gears???   That' depends on you.. I rather a semi close ratio but to each their own. Hey a 17 ktm xc is great and all but it's a different flavor with different benefits and negatives. ktm has the counterbalance as their latest re  new  inovation from past years on other bikes and of course ktm has a long history of making great dirt bikes.. That being said and also being a past ktm rider and racer I'd rather ride a Beta for a variety of reasons ... seat height right off the bat and I'm tall enough but still rather have a lower bike.. or at least the option to put a seat with more foam between my butt and frame rails . Why did you put on a lectron carb? I'm noticing this trend as a friend of mine put one on almost immediately on his 17 ktm 300. He had terrible jetting on his stock carb.. but I was thinking that maybe some ktm guys might figure out good jetting and share with others getting new ktm's. The last time I rode with my friend with the lectron put on his 17 he changed again and put a smart carb. The bike sounded great . He was tuning it up the last day I rode with him.. I'm still riding with the stock jetting my Beta came with in 2015. It works well. I could maybe drop 500 or so a pop and see if those carbs improve my bike but it's been running great from new.  .. but besides that this is a comparison between  a 300rr and an xtrainer.. We could bring in husky and TM and Sherco etc.. but then it's only widening the comparison  on even more different bikes. 

Here's a friend with his 17  ktm with a smart carb after a lectron.. the bike sounds good.. he's charging this super steep hill we were all freshly cutting.. it's going to take a few rides to find the line and get up..

He got further up...He dragged it down on an earlier run... 

Don't mind the pidgen english.. we're in the trails so proper english is optional..

Here's more information that may or may not make a difference.. but here it is.. There's more vids and information too.. 

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, lrbest4x4xfar said:

Haha wide ratio gears

If you have long transitional connections between trails maybe.. idk.. but still I'm not liking gaps.

i found the rr300 was a better all around bike than the XT. the power valve can be screwed in to tame it down. the trainer was awesome in the woods but lacked for faster riding. the XT doesn't ride on the pipe like a rr300 can.

i actually preferred the rr250 as it reved and rode on the pipe better and felt more like my te300 than the rr300 did. i find my husky comes in between the two with the bottom end torque of the 300 and the top end feel of the rr250. rr250 is a lot more fun and is a little bit cheeper. the cost of a 300 top end is actually pretty close to the price difference between them. personally i would buy a rr250 and buy a 300 kit and then you can decide which you like better for the same price as a rr300

There's not even that. The bike is cheating.. Off idle is the bread and butter for technical and with my cr I had to compensate with clutchwork higher throttle as my cr would more easily die.. even with heavy flywheel weight and gearing and other mods..
Look at this.. There's no hit unless I want it too.. It's so super easy to ride . I'm just putting around here... and this is the same bike that I got a holeshot in our last sprint enduro off the mx gate.

Dang, serious jungle!
1 person likes this