2018 Beta Race Edition Reveal (Thursday Oct 12)

The big wart on the GG is the old motor with the starter on the cover, and the price for it considering they are in comeback mode.  The suspension is a great move.  Beta is selling all they can build at max capacity, so things won't change significantly until that is no longer the case.   Its just business.  Honestly I got tired of dicking around with Euro forks on mine and friends bikes, between Zokes, Sachs, and WPs.  The KYBs are just so much less drama and cheap to keep.

• Like 1

I was also expecting something new for RE version, but GP is right, its just business. If they still keep selling all the RE units which they can produce, why would they bother to change pattern.

I have two Racing Edition Betas(16 RR300 and 17 RR430) and im sure that my next Beta will be not Racing Edition. Why would you pay one grand extra for footpegs, some bling and CC Sachs, which are in my opinion very poor compared to KYB..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ccullins said:

Still say the race edition should be like an X version that all the other brands have. Remove lights and all excess wiring, no thermostat etc., 4t's come with an FMF exhaust, 2t's come with the FMF shorty silencer and some good race tires, not the DOT approved stuff. 

A  serious racer could take one of those other brands off the showroom floor and go race it with no mods. Can't say the same for the Beta.

Maybe I'm just grumpy since I have to do the same things over and over-LOL 

I'd be OK if it was delivered in a bare bones set up like that with a box of the stuff you are talking about taking off so people can add what they need. :)

• Like 1

Cut the price a few bucks and offer it as an accessory kit instead.  The light shell and computer will explode on the first tree encounter anyway, and the current harness is not up to long term use in wet climates. 

• Like 1

I'm happy that Beta comes with everything.. I use my light and if I could make my 300 street legal I would. I'd rather take off if I had to but why? I know this has been hashed out before. It's just personal preference but to me I'd rather have more for the same price as other bikes than buy another bike that's set up like an xc and I'd have to add lights etc . I had an mx bike adapted for enduro for years and it cost way more and was more of a pain to add. An mx bike is as light as can be but I want and need an enduro bike. I still ride it like an mx bike if I like.  As it is I haven't taken anything off my bike and it doesn't impede speed. I use my headlight every time I ride just about especially coming back late from the trails under the trees it's dark.. plus a tunnel or 2 at times. If I'd buy today I'd buy the race edition but I'd revalve and change springs before riding. I liked my rr stock as for woods riding and racing stock the open chamber is better than the race edition is.. That's if talking stock out of the box. How much is the price difference from an rr to a race edition? I didn't think it was that much.. I have to look it up now. The no kicker is &%$#@!ing lame to me. That's 400 bucks to me added to the price that I didn't need to pay. I guess it's look at the other bikes in the class and compare on that issue as well idk. It's business I guess but I don't like it. As far as the forks and suspension goes hey everyone has their opinions. Guys dump on Beta for staying with Sachs yet I've been scratching my head riding what here is considered crap by some and I like it alot. I came from showa and honda and racetech revalving and blah blah blah before riding Beta. For me it's not a big difference but to each their own. From what I can tell I'd be great with a race edition.. but with  suspension done for my weight more immediately instead of just riding stock for awhile like I did initially with my 300rr before putting stiffer springs and servicing. Of course I'd get a kicker kit . hand guards and a Ptech combo pipe skid plate guard and a rear disc guard. That's the main points and I'd be set I think.  This guy is one of the guys involved with the 18' development from what's been said before.. I guess they're just copying some of the 17 race bikes and what they learn?

What does this guy ride ? How's the suspension. Right from the start he starts to explain.. a good interview with lots of information for such a short time.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

For those that want a kyb or showa or ohlins or Sachs cc fox or whatever hey that's good.. I think there are options already on byob..and then there is boano racing as well or guys already are making their own kits..Maybe more kits more available and at better prices might be better.  A bunch of you already are more versed in figuring out other setups. Still what Holcombe is racing doesn't look that much more exotic than what anyone can take off the showroom floor. I'm sure there are some tuning stuff.. especially suspension and maybe some light motor work but these bikes arent designed for the firebreathing type drag racing bikes anyway. The initial part of this vid shows the bike he's racing. It's mainly a light set of wheels added on and stock suspension tuned for his liking.

What is this guy racing with? It's not an mx bike or xc with only a number plate in front.. but just take off the headlight etc and that can happen easy. Beta does come with a number plate and other goodies when you buy the bike.   Just watch the beginning of the vid.

29 minutes ago, GP said:

Cut the price a few bucks and offer it as an accessory kit instead.  The light shell and computer will explode on the first tree encounter anyway, and the current harness is not up to long term use in wet climates. 

I yanked my computer from the start. I don't have any need for it and yea I'd think that it could get smashed up.. idk.. didn't have it before..so figured don't need it now. I'm thinking of putting it back on for the hell of it in the future some time.. too bad can't plate it here... I guess I could buy that guard but no matter for me.. and as far as long term wet climates?  I've had zero problems since 2009 with my 3 Betas and harnesses. We ride in rain and cross streams regularly. I keep hearing from a couple of threads about a problem but I've been charging in the rain with no issues.. yet at least.

1 hour ago, YHGEORGE said:

?

Come on George!!!! get a Beta!!! Im sure you can find one cheap if you don't want to buy brand new. Get some first hand information...? Hell I'd sell you my 350 if you lived in Hawaii.. It's super nice and freshly refurbished. 

I really like my Beta, its been solid for 4 years and over 350 hrs. except for the Zoke forks which died early.  The harness is poor quality, anyone with basic knowledge of proper electrical design and fabrication can tell you that after a good look.  But, as a fireman I guess you know better.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GP said:

I really like my Beta, its been solid for 4 years and over 350 hrs. except for the Zoke forks which died early.  The harness is poor quality, anyone with basic knowledge of proper electrical design and fabrication can tell you that after a good look.  But, as a fireman I guess you know better.

Just saying my experience with my bikes.. could they be better? listening to you I'd say yea. I know you put the time into maintenance like a bike should be. I haven't been taking as good care of my bikes lately. It's wrong actually. I need to be doing more maintenance . I'm embarassed to say I've been riding and parking or doing a half assed wash job and not taken care like I know should happen lately .  It's still been working great in spite of me being lazy . Yea wiring and inspections are past for me regarding work . I'm cringing and feel pain for those people and for the firefighters in California.. That's some huge tragedy unfolding as we speak.. It's sad. I've been watching youtube live streaming of the fires.. Those poor people.. some have lost everything. ..and staying up and fighting fire for extended periods of time is dangerous.. you're fried and still trying to work.. but you have more to do..

22 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Come on George!!!! get a Beta!!! Im sure you can find one cheap if you don't want to buy brand new. Get some first hand information...? Hell I'd sell you my 350 if you lived in Hawaii.. It's super nice and freshly refurbished. 

I wish I could see one. J Depp here in TX has one I hope to see at one of our HS events but other than his and a demo at our TX dealer there aren't any around. The demo is about 2.5 hrs away and I just haven't had a chance to get there, not sure he still has it. 

2 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

I wish I could see one. J Depp here in TX has one I hope to see at one of our HS events but other than his and a demo at our TX dealer there aren't any around. The demo is about 2.5 hrs away and I just haven't had a chance to get there, not sure he still has it. 

j Depp had his bike for sale. I'd jump on that if he's still selling. That's the last year of the carbed 500 and it's street legal. That's a find to me. His bike looks nice too.. not much mileage on it. I've encouraged him to keep his.. but I guess he wants newer.

8 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

My next bike will be my last bike which will be a new bike. I am disgusted Beta has dropped the kicker and will want bookoo bucks to replace it. I am very sure Mr Depp's bike is in excellent cond and will be a great buy for someone.

Why should you be disgusted? You're losing nothing.. I'm kind of bummed in case I end up buying a new Beta at some time in the future.. but I have too many bikes anyway. Why do you have to have a brand new bike? You've been with your 01 cr 250 honda forever getting a bike a couple of years old for half the cost plus all modded up with all the goodies ought to be easy . It's not like Betas are hugely different from year to year. They aren't and they all work well. I know because I have one.. no 3 !!! ...Get one.. any one. Ride it and see what we are talking about. Really life is short . Get a bike that is good. Just go buy one.

8 hours ago, RhinofromWA said:

I'd be OK if it was delivered in a bare bones set up like that with a box of the stuff you are talking about taking off so people can add what they need. ?

You can delete the estart as well and include that in that box you can buy later.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, motoxgiant said:

I'll post pictures later when Beta releases the hi-res copies, but for now it's about what we expected based on the earlier RR launch. Read below for details ...

The 2018 RR range, presented to the public in June, has now been beefed up with a Racing version. These models are developed through the Beta Race division and are very similar to the bike that Enduro World Champion Steve Holcombe, as well as USA race team riders Max Gerston and Jordan Ashburn compete on. 2018 Racing models will be available in the 250 and 300 cc (2-stroke) and 350, 390, 430 and 480 cc (4-stroke) engine sizes.

With the influence of the official Beta Factory Teams, numerous upgrades have been made to reduce weight and improve handling during the array of situations that the riders encounter in their championships.

Racing versions benefit from the numerous technical improvements introduced on the standard bikes including:

2-stroke Models:

All New clutch: A total overhaul has developed a more compact and lighter weight clutch that improves its feel, precision, and stability as operating temperatures change. This new system provides more progression in clutch feel that allows for better control overall, making the tough lines even more graceful. A smaller, more compact clutch cover has been installed.

Elimination of the kick-start: the incredible work put into making the electric starter more reliable has allowed the kick-start lever to be removed, significantly reducing weight. Given the engine design, a kick-start can still be ordered as an option.

New gear change system: updated star wheel and detent mechanism improves the precision of the transmission eliminating any possible uncertainties when shifting gears.

New air filter box: intense testing was done on the 2-stroke engine timing advance curves to optimize output enabling the introduction of a new air filter box.

New cylinder: improves performance in terms of torque and power output throughout the rev range while keeping the response perfectly linear.

Rounded piston and new cylinder head profile: (300cc only):together with the new cylinder, provides smoother engine performance while providing better traction.

Crankshaft: redesigned configuration that is matched to the new cylinder which increases stiffness and provides less engine vibration.

New connecting rod: revised lower bearing area to improve durability.

New power valve timing: different design of the power valve ramps to better adapt to the new primary drive ratio, ensuring better power delivery.

New combustion chamber (250cc only):provides a higher compression ratio which has increased the power output.

New Chassis The front-end of the frame has been completely redesigned enabling an increase in the flexural and torsional rigidity characteristics compared to previous versions and with a notable reduction in weight thanks to an improved structural layout. This generates a consistent improvement in handling and riding precision.

Air filter box and rear sub-frame: lighter and slimmer design giving the bike a more aggressive look.

Lithium battery: lighter in weight, more powerful and reliable.

New skid plate: improved fastener accessibility for quicker removal.

New muffler heat shield: protects the rider from burns.

Takasago Excel rims: with a new black finish specifically designed for Beta.

4-stroke Models:

All New clutch: A total overhaul has developed a more compact and lighter weight clutch that improves its feel, precision, and stability as operating temperatures change. This new six-spring system provides more progression in clutch feel that allows for better control overall, making the tough lines even more graceful. A smaller, more compact clutch cover has been installed.

Elimination of the kick-start: the incredible work put into making the electric starter more reliable has allowed the kick-start lever to be removed, significantly reducing weight. Given the engine design, a kick-start can still be ordered as an option.

New gear change system: updated star wheel and detent mechanism improves the precision of the transmission eliminating any possible uncertainties when shifting gears.

New air filter box: intense testing was done on the 4-stroke engine injection mapping to optimize output enabling the introduction of a new air filter box.

New muffler: revised external profile and internal layout to improve engine performance, especially at low rpm.

EFI with dual injectors: The introduction of dual injectors allows the application of dedicated maps for each engine displacement in order to increase engine performance (particularly in the middle and top end of the power delivery) and to increase mixture control which subsequently increases fuel mileage.

New Chassis The front-end of the frame has been completely redesigned enabling an increase in the flexural and torsional rigidity characteristics compared to previous versions and with a notable reduction in weight thanks to an improved structural layout. This generates a consistent improvement in handling and riding precision.

Air filter box and rear sub-frame: lighter and slimmer design giving the bike a more aggressive look.

Lithium battery: lighter in weight, more powerful and reliable.

New muffler heat shield: protects the rider from burns.

Takasago Excel rims: with a new black finish specifically designed for Beta.

Additional features found on the Racing versions only:

Suspension

Beta engineers have been hard at work developing the front and rear suspension settings. More specifically, they've introduced:

48 mm closed-cartridge Sachs fork with new, lighter, redesigned slider. The system is filled with latest-generation low-friction oil and calibrated to match the 2018 frame to perfection.

Shock absorber with revised valving and calibration that improves the overall performance of the rear suspension in working with the new design of the frame.

Black anodized triple clamp to blend perfectly with the red fork tubes

New Michelin tires.

Premix

True to the racing spirit, the 2 stroke range has no oil injection.

Unlike standard RR models, all of the 2 stroke Racing Edition bikes run on premix. The Beta R&D department has listened to the riders' demands for lighter weight bikes and deciding to remove this feature to minimize weight. A separate mixing system (Oil Injection) can easily be implemented on Racing models by purchasing the relevant kit in our accessory catalog.

Special components

The Racing range also includes these items that set the bike apart from the standard versions:

Quick release front wheel pin: speeds up tire repairs, saving precious seconds in race situations.

Vertigo hand guards: modern design, tough and "In-Mold" graphics; ideal for extreme off-road riding.

Black aluminum footrests: light and sturdy, with a broader contact patch, steel pegs to ensure maximum, long-lasting grip under all conditions.

Rear sprocket with anodized aluminum core and steel teeth: an unbeatable combination of lightness and durability.

Billet aluminum chain tensioner blocks.

Racing seat with pocket.

Black anodized shift/brake levers.

Transmission oil cap, engine oil cap and oil filter cap in red anodized aluminum.

Special Racing graphics and rim decals.

Availability

December

Prices MSRP in USD:

250 RR Race            $8950.00
300 RR Race            $8950.00

350 RR Race            $9699.00
390 RR Race            $9799.00
430 RR Race            $9899.00
480 RR Race            $9999.00

Ok so let's look at this again..

In the case of the 300 rr vs the race edition the price for the rr is $8499... and the race above is $8950.  Shit that's a fricken deal to me for the forks and the bling..  A $451 difference?? That's all?  I do like the street legal side of the 4 strokes. vs the race editions.. but that's just depending on certain states. 

http://www.betausa.com/content/430-rr-s-0   So $9899 for the rrs and the same price for the race edition????  Shit man that's more than reasonable. That's a deal!!! I mean I like a street legal and I like the race edition. This is a good price.. but of course.. add  $500 or so for the kick starter installed for both.. plus the 2 strokes above.. if I were buying an 18 that is.