motoxgiant

2018 Beta Race Edition Reveal (Thursday Oct 12)

79 posts in this topic

Look for details on the new 2018 Beta Race Editions on Thursday per Tim at Beta. If you're not on the e-mailing list get signed up, and you'll get the scoop with fresh photos in your mailbox. For everybody else, check back here.

7 people like this

I'm still wishing for more separation from the standard model.  Something more than forks and bling. I hope they keep dropping weight. Not getting my hopes up though.

Edited by Johnny Depp
2 people like this

Agressive mapping option, included suspension component AND tuning upgrade, and a limited access BST tuning software and dongle

1 person likes this

This is one of my favorite parts, the new model reveal......

betamodel.jpg

betagirl.jpg

2 people like this

I have no inside info, but I wouldn't expect too much. 

The 4t's should have the dual injection and the lack of side plates like the other RR's. Other than that just the usual closed chamber forks, cool graphics and the bling. I would like to see more, I just don't see it happening. 

3 people like this

It’s been the same recipe for race editions since race editions have been since Beta enduros came out in 2005 or so..

19 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

I'm still wishing for more separation from the standard model.  Something more than forks and bling. I hope they keep dropping weight. Not getting my hopes up though.

For a true racing bike what more can you actually do, forks are the biggest thing to a racer and they are swapped.

I don't know how else Beta can drop weight if you really think about it, I have taken mine apart and looked for ways they can shave weight but its very hard.  

4ts maybe a new lighter engine but they will only save 1-2kg at best. Ktm saved the weight buy the new forks as it removed 1.5kg off the bike, people always forget that Ktms don't have linkage so you really have to compare the Beta to the Husky and now the Beta is lighter than a Husky. 

3 people like this

22 minutes ago, Neomxdave said:

For a true racing bike what more can you actually do, forks are the biggest thing to a racer and they are swapped.

I don't know how else Beta can drop weight if you really think about it, I have taken mine apart and looked for ways they can shave weight but its very hard.  

4ts maybe a new lighter engine but they will only save 1-2kg at best. Ktm saved the weight buy the new forks as it removed 1.5kg off the bike, people always forget that Ktms don't have linkage so you really have to compare the Beta to the Husky and now the Beta is lighter than a Husky. 

I think you are exactly right.. The husky and the Beta are basicly the same weight or super close...especially now with beta coming with a lithium battery now.  So when comparing models that's the right comparison along with making sure it's the TE husky which has basicly  the same stuff as what Beta comes with.

I think the best way to drop weight is for me to lose some weight first . I think the weight issue is at it's limit  before strength and reliability come into question. As it is I am adding weight by putting guards to strengthen and protect my bike from crashes and damage. I guess I can just ride the bike as is and go without guards. That would reduce weight but to me that would be dumb.   The make the bike is as light as possible no matter what is in full swing  and shows no signs of slowing. Whatever.. I'm hoping that the clutch on the 4 stroke straight up works better and it's not just a weight loss mod. The new clutch cover does not look strong at all. I already put a stronger clutch cover on my 12' 350 to help protect . When I got my 350 the rider who owned the bike before me had already cracked the clutch cover... and the ignition cover.. It didn't have a decent skid plate so I got a burly thick aluminum skid plate that helps protect both sides of the engine now.  I replaced with a stronger more heavy duty thicker clutch cover.

I think what should be taken into consideration when figuring out weight and what one wants in a bike is still what is your bike going to have on it when fully modded to how the bike will work with guards and mods and with gas and oil and all liquids full up and ready to go. So ok the bike stock is light. Ready to race .. rolling up to the line and or just ready to ride on a Sunday morning is the real world... eeehhh but guys are still in the mental lightness race for the lightest bikes.  Maybe some should just buy mx bikes again.. 2 and or 4 stroke if really hard core into having the lightest bike.

I'm guessing that the next deal that guys will be looking at is protection and mods to put on new 2018 Beta. It's probably about the same as the 17 and earlier.. but idk. we will see. there's a few slight differences .. frame??

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Mark Pyke Beta300rr said:

Her heads not much, beta could do better there

That's such a nice xtrainer

s1200_BETA_GIRL_MG_7315_small.jpg

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I'm guessing that the next deal that guys will be looking at is protection and mods to put on new 2018 Beta. It's probably about the same as the 17 and earlier.. but idk. we will see. there's a few slight differences .. frame??

I'm using the std bashplate with insulation between it and the frame, RST folding levers, RST wide, pegs, Big brake tip Beta part, rear disc protector, cycra flag style hand guards, bullet proof rad guards and a force case saver, std rear chain guide with the metal bracket flipped ( not done this before). Thats it and my forks and I'll revalve the shock with my spring. 

MM 

1 person likes this

I'll post pictures later when Beta releases the hi-res copies, but for now it's about what we expected based on the earlier RR launch. Read below for details ...

The 2018 RR range, presented to the public in June, has now been beefed up with a Racing version. These models are developed through the Beta Race division and are very similar to the bike that Enduro World Champion Steve Holcombe, as well as USA race team riders Max Gerston and Jordan Ashburn compete on. 2018 Racing models will be available in the 250 and 300 cc (2-stroke) and 350, 390, 430 and 480 cc (4-stroke) engine sizes.

With the influence of the official Beta Factory Teams, numerous upgrades have been made to reduce weight and improve handling during the array of situations that the riders encounter in their championships.

Racing versions benefit from the numerous technical improvements introduced on the standard bikes including:

2-stroke Models:

All New clutch: A total overhaul has developed a more compact and lighter weight clutch that improves its feel, precision, and stability as operating temperatures change. This new system provides more progression in clutch feel that allows for better control overall, making the tough lines even more graceful. A smaller, more compact clutch cover has been installed.

Elimination of the kick-start: the incredible work put into making the electric starter more reliable has allowed the kick-start lever to be removed, significantly reducing weight. Given the engine design, a kick-start can still be ordered as an option.

New gear change system: updated star wheel and detent mechanism improves the precision of the transmission eliminating any possible uncertainties when shifting gears.

New air filter box: intense testing was done on the 2-stroke engine timing advance curves to optimize output enabling the introduction of a new air filter box.

New cylinder: improves performance in terms of torque and power output throughout the rev range while keeping the response perfectly linear.

Rounded piston and new cylinder head profile: (300cc only):together with the new cylinder, provides smoother engine performance while providing better traction.

Crankshaft: redesigned configuration that is matched to the new cylinder which increases stiffness and provides less engine vibration.

New connecting rod: revised lower bearing area to improve durability.

New power valve timing: different design of the power valve ramps to better adapt to the new primary drive ratio, ensuring better power delivery.

New combustion chamber (250cc only):provides a higher compression ratio which has increased the power output.

New Chassis The front-end of the frame has been completely redesigned enabling an increase in the flexural and torsional rigidity characteristics compared to previous versions and with a notable reduction in weight thanks to an improved structural layout. This generates a consistent improvement in handling and riding precision.

Air filter box and rear sub-frame: lighter and slimmer design giving the bike a more aggressive look.

Lithium battery: lighter in weight, more powerful and reliable.

New skid plate: improved fastener accessibility for quicker removal.

New muffler heat shield: protects the rider from burns.

Takasago Excel rims: with a new black finish specifically designed for Beta.

4-stroke Models:

All New clutch: A total overhaul has developed a more compact and lighter weight clutch that improves its feel, precision, and stability as operating temperatures change. This new six-spring system provides more progression in clutch feel that allows for better control overall, making the tough lines even more graceful. A smaller, more compact clutch cover has been installed.

Elimination of the kick-start: the incredible work put into making the electric starter more reliable has allowed the kick-start lever to be removed, significantly reducing weight. Given the engine design, a kick-start can still be ordered as an option.

New gear change system: updated star wheel and detent mechanism improves the precision of the transmission eliminating any possible uncertainties when shifting gears.

New air filter box: intense testing was done on the 4-stroke engine injection mapping to optimize output enabling the introduction of a new air filter box.

New muffler: revised external profile and internal layout to improve engine performance, especially at low rpm.

EFI with dual injectors: The introduction of dual injectors allows the application of dedicated maps for each engine displacement in order to increase engine performance (particularly in the middle and top end of the power delivery) and to increase mixture control which subsequently increases fuel mileage.

New Chassis The front-end of the frame has been completely redesigned enabling an increase in the flexural and torsional rigidity characteristics compared to previous versions and with a notable reduction in weight thanks to an improved structural layout. This generates a consistent improvement in handling and riding precision.

Air filter box and rear sub-frame: lighter and slimmer design giving the bike a more aggressive look.

Lithium battery: lighter in weight, more powerful and reliable.

New muffler heat shield: protects the rider from burns.

Takasago Excel rims: with a new black finish specifically designed for Beta.

Additional features found on the Racing versions only:

Suspension

Beta engineers have been hard at work developing the front and rear suspension settings. More specifically, they've introduced:

48 mm closed-cartridge Sachs fork with new, lighter, redesigned slider. The system is filled with latest-generation low-friction oil and calibrated to match the 2018 frame to perfection.

Shock absorber with revised valving and calibration that improves the overall performance of the rear suspension in working with the new design of the frame.

Black anodized triple clamp to blend perfectly with the red fork tubes

New Michelin tires.

Premix

True to the racing spirit, the 2 stroke range has no oil injection.

Unlike standard RR models, all of the 2 stroke Racing Edition bikes run on premix. The Beta R&D department has listened to the riders' demands for lighter weight bikes and deciding to remove this feature to minimize weight. A separate mixing system (Oil Injection) can easily be implemented on Racing models by purchasing the relevant kit in our accessory catalog.

Special components

The Racing range also includes these items that set the bike apart from the standard versions:

Quick release front wheel pin: speeds up tire repairs, saving precious seconds in race situations.

Vertigo hand guards: modern design, tough and "In-Mold" graphics; ideal for extreme off-road riding.

Black aluminum footrests: light and sturdy, with a broader contact patch, steel pegs to ensure maximum, long-lasting grip under all conditions.

Rear sprocket with anodized aluminum core and steel teeth: an unbeatable combination of lightness and durability.

Billet aluminum chain tensioner blocks.

Racing seat with pocket.

Black anodized shift/brake levers.

Transmission oil cap, engine oil cap and oil filter cap in red anodized aluminum.

Special Racing graphics and rim decals.

Availability

December

Prices MSRP in USD:

250 RR Race            $8950.00
300 RR Race            $8950.00

350 RR Race            $9699.00
390 RR Race            $9799.00
430 RR Race            $9899.00
480 RR Race            $9999.00

2 people like this

5 hours ago, Neomxdave said:

Still say the race edition should be like an X version that all the other brands have. Remove lights and all excess wiring, no thermostat etc., 4t's come with an FMF exhaust, 2t's come with the FMF shorty silencer and some good race tires, not the DOT approved stuff. 

A  serious racer could take one of those other brands off the showroom floor and go race it with no mods. Can't say the same for the Beta.

Maybe I'm just grumpy since I have to do the same things over and over-LOL 

6 people like this

10 minutes ago, ccullins said:

Still say the race edition should be like an X version that all the other brands have. Remove lights and all excess wiring, no thermostat etc., 4t's come with an FMF exhaust, 2t's come with the FMF shorty silencer and some good race tires, not the DOT approved stuff. 

A  serious racer could take one of those other brands off the showroom floor and go race it with no mods. Can't say the same for the Beta.

Maybe so, but all of the lights and harness make it easy (or at least easier) to plate, and for a lot of states plates are required for enduros. The exhaust is another story. Wish they had kept the kickstart as standard, glad we can still add it on and I'm sure we will on a lot of our customer bike preps.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, ccullins said:

Yep.

1 person likes this

Kinda disappointing. Wish they'd drop the bling, add Kayabas, and get say at least 5kg off it. Otherwise I can't see it's worth it, especially as they usually price it 10%+higher

1 person likes this

Thank you, agree 100%, been saying that for a long time.  Sherco is doing this now, even GasGas did.  Put the race harness on the bike and sell a redesigned accessory harness for compliance if needed.  You don't need miles of wire in a Euro spec harness to get a plate in most places here anyway, and the bar switches are a joke when wet.

1 person likes this

Maybe a good reason to look at the new GG if you can find a dealer.